Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 10:55 pm

(Spolier alert in case you haven't yet watched the Jan 2 episode)

Not sure if anyone here watches Parenthood, but on Thursday's episode, Hank (played by Ray Romano) realized that he has Asperger's. Here's the clip:

http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/a-l ... is/n44682/

This the first time that I've seen an adult character on a TV show realize that they're autistic. I like Hank's character because it's a more subtle portrayal that doesn't necessarily conform to the popular stereotype.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:06 am

Yep. That's it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:07 am

I am not surprised, he seemed to relate to Max so much and didn't see a problem with what he did when he took photos at school. I even wondered if he had it and my husband said he was a photographer so that is how they think.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2014, 7:28 am

This is interesting. A review from October 2012 suggesting Hank is on the spectrum.

"I can’t shake the feeling that Hank is also somewhere on the autism spectrum. "

‘Parenthood’: In Praise of Ray Romano’s Amazing Performance

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 12:34 am

FishStickNick wrote:
(Spolier alert in case you haven't yet watched the Jan 2 episode)

Not sure if anyone here watches Parenthood, but on Thursday's episode, Hank (played by Ray Romano) realized that he has Asperger's. Here's the clip:

http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/a-l ... is/n44682/

This the first time that I've seen an adult character on a TV show realize that they're autistic. I like Hank's character because it's a more subtle portrayal that doesn't necessarily conform to the popular stereotype.

I just caught up on my Parenthood episodes and was just about to post about this. I am so glad to see that someone beat me to it!

I am not sure if I can explain how important I think this episode/storyline is. Getting an adult diagnosis is life altering. Its about time we see it in the mainstream media. Most of the time there is an overwhelming sensation that Autism is a children's issue. The adult ASD community needs to start speaking up, IMO. Afterall, the hope is that those kids will someday be functional adults, right? Well, that means they need role models in the community and in the media. Getting an adult diagnosis means we have a lifetime of experience coping with struggles that until our diagnosis were unquantifiable and unqualifiable. We are a wealth of information not only for the community but also for each other. I think its time we combine our resources and our voices.

And now I will get off my soapbox lol

Anywho....

Thanks Parenthood for treating Asperger's/Autism with respect, truth, and accuracy!

-Nymeria

PS: I think I might post about this in other sections of the forum. I apologize in advance for the repetition but I think we need to get more of us in on this discussion.

If any moderators read this and want to combine threads in the appropriate place, it would be appreciated!

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:56 am

Hank is amazingly convincing as an Aspie. Ray Romano should get an Emmy. Every facial expression and vocal intonation is just spot on.

solvethepuzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2014, 11:51 pm

I loved the episode myself. I have a 2nd cousin who diagnosed himself in his sophomore year of college psychology class. It IS life altering, but then my cousin stopped and said, I am in college, I have a girlfriend, I'm in a fraternity, I am FINE. Which is basically what they told Hank in the episode.

Can't wait to see where this story line goes!

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 7:23 am

I am looking forward to seeing where the storyline goes too.

(I hope your cousin is okay with his choice. We adults often tell ourselves we are fine, until we aren't.)

solvethepuzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2014, 10:44 am

Nymeria8 wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing where the storyline goes too.

(I hope your cousin is okay with his choice. We adults often tell ourselves we are fine, until we aren't.)

He really is, the diagnosis was 5 years ago. He struggled for a little bit, but started to see a psychiatrist who helped him get some perspective on things. He is learning how to control some of his OCDs that he had never realized were OCDs in the past. Once he realized WHY things bothered him so much he said it was much easier to accept them.

He had a wonderful girlfriend who stuck by him through the entire process and now they are married. He had always dreamed of being a police officer. Some of his Aspergers made getting through the police academy very hard for him but he did it last year!

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

Arrrrrgggghh ... he wrote in a book. If anybody needs me I'll be in my room, cringing.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked Hank. I suspected that he may have been on the spectrum on the (I think) first episode he was in when he was talking to Max while doing the family portrait.

I can't wait to see how that unfolds.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 4:19 am

Glad to hear that Puzzle.

And I am happy so many other people are watching too. I hope they don't just leave this storyline. Its too important.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm

anyone have a clip of when max was having a meltdown in front of hank?

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 2:05 am

the most recent meltdown? from this last episode?

If so I can't seem to find just a clip of the meltdown but FishStickNick, the OP, has posted the entire episode as a link.

Keep watching!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:08 am

Here's the link to the full episode in case you missed it in the other thread on this:

http://www.nbc.com/parenthood/video/promises/n44681/

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 10:16 am

I didn't watch the show before, but I will now.

It was a very good performance. I found the ending quite moving.

I also found it difficult to watch him write in the book--not really because he was writing in the book (my dad did that!) but because he was roughly (almost violently) scrawling huge circles in the book... How will anyone else be able to read it now?! !

But the portrayal connected with me. And I really liked the scene in the apartment when he is trying to explain as the doctor comes to pick up his date...

That chess game was really well done at the end.