Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 8:46 am

Anyone here met someone through personal ads such as match, eharmony, Christian Mingle, OurTime, etc? How did it go? Did you marry the person you met online? Went out few dates? Engaged? Dating? Just wondering about personal ads because people can post pictures that aren't even of themselves and lie about their age.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:46 am

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard it's illegal to share a photo online that isn't you, then claim it is. Makes sense since the person's intent would often be potentially sinister(provided it's not just some troll).

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:58 am

Was on okcupid. Met my fiancé there. And I am female and I have heard that it is easier for females than males.

Edit: I also thou roily Internet stalked anyone I met before seeing them in person. Facebook, did it look like a real person's profile, school info (were they on the graduation list of the school they claim in the place they claim. Can I find several picture that match that person and name etc.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm

Venger wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought I heard it's illegal to share a photo online that isn't you, then claim it is. Makes sense since the person's intent would often be potentially sinister(provided it's not just some troll).

I've never heard of that.

It does happen though.

But most people are honest. worst case scenario is that they share a pic that's old and you meet them and they've gained a lot of weight.

Just ask for recent/current pics by email. Tell them you won't meet anyone w/o seeing their pics first to see if you're attracted to them for one, but also for safety and security so you know that the person you meet is who they claim to be. In most cases people will reply with their pics. If they don't, then did you really want to meet them anyways? If you want to meet them, agree to meet in public somewhere where you'll feel safe and then go meet them already!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 11:08 pm

Your questions are hard to answer because I have met more than one person through that method. But to address the last part, I have ever met anyone who used a fake photo. As far as I know they have all been the age they said they were.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 12:19 am

Venger wrote:

Nope, but it's illegal to deliberately steal someone's identity for the express purpose of trying to defame them through social media. I'm sure the cops can't be bothered to do anything about it 90% of the time, but it's still not kosher.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 12:53 am

TheGoggles wrote:
Venger wrote:

Nope, but it's illegal to deliberately steal someone's identity for the express purpose of trying to defame them through social media. I'm sure the cops can't be bothered to do anything about it 90% of the time, but it's still not kosher.

Meeting someone IRL that gave a phony-pic would be quite dangerous though because they know you'll probably try to escape the moment you meet them(i.e. they're likely planning to attack-on-site)