Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 2:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Is the OP asking the reader "who made you [the reader] God?"?

Or is the OP asking "God made everything else- but what created God?"?

Two very different questions.

The title of the thread is ambiguously worded.

Answer either or both. This will be on the test, by the way.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 2:55 am

Misslizard wrote:
She said I could be in charge while she gets a coffee.
:lol:

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2014, 4:45 am

If god made everything, s/he must have made him/her self.

But the question remains, how does nothing make something out of nothing using nothing.

I suppose if you, if you believe it's all irrelevant, cause nothing has to make sense.

Cheers

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:01 am

There are a lot of scientists who are for all intents and purposes Deists. They don't believe in a personal god, just an organizing factor in the universe or universes if they're physicists. The Big Bang Theory requires accepting nothing creating something, before which there was no before. Time doesn't show up until then, you dig?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:02 am

I am a Platonic Ideal God, behold me.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:03 am

jrjones9933 wrote:

I'm not holding anything... platonic or not!

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:06 am

Δ I am the platonic shadow cast on the cave wall, the light that reveals me is god

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:20 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
No one made Him God. He's always been eternal.
Amen!

"Hmmm, how does this work' says man, "wow, it seems like magic" ipso facto god exists. Sometime later man thinks "if god was created it must have been by another and possibly more powerful god, which means this god must have been created by another god and this god must have been created ....". "Oops" says man "that wont do, as that way leads to infinite gods of infinite powers, and infinite gods means infinite gods people and infinite sons to be crucified, not even I could believe in that"

We cant have that now, can we, so what happens we get the above response. God thanks to philosophy becomes infinite in himself. No creator, no singularity, just has always existed. FFS people listen to the nonsense you believe. Deism is nonsense enough but the concept of Theism is surely borderline insanity.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 5:48 am

"That's Classified Information."

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Amen!

"Hmmm, how does this work' says man, "wow, it seems like magic" ipso facto god exists. Sometime later man thinks "if god was created it must have been by another and possibly more powerful god, which means this god must have been created by another god and this god must have been created ....". "Oops" says man "that wont do, as that way leads to infinite gods of infinite powers, and infinite gods means infinite gods people and infinite sons to be crucified, not even I could believe in that"

We cant have that now, can we, so what happens we get the above response. God thanks to philosophy becomes infinite in himself. No creator, no singularity, just has always existed. FFS people listen to the nonsense you believe. Deism is nonsense enough but the concept of Theism is surely borderline insanity.

You're nonsense. No reason why something can't be eternal.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 11:00 am

Ganondox wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Amen!

Just because you invent a word "eternal" doesn't mean the word is real or can be applied to anything. Besides, the word solves nothing regarding the origin of anything before time existed nor does it say anything about what started time itself.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 4:07 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Amen!

Just because you invent a word "eternal" doesn't mean the word is real or can be applied to anything. Besides, the word solves nothing regarding the origin of anything before time existed nor does it say anything about what started time itself.

are you presupposing that everything is governed by the laws of cause and effect? there are many quantum theories which suggest that particles pop in and out of existence which lend energy to the creation of matter in a decaying but somewhat coherent form. i think the question of who created god is flawed in its assumption that god needs to have a maker or a cause and is therefore an effect of its own creation or causality. i think god reveals itself in paradoxes like this one

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm

salamandaqwerty wrote:

are you presupposing that everything is governed by the laws of cause and effect? there are many quantum theories which suggest that particles pop in and out of existence which lend energy to the creation of matter in a decaying but somewhat coherent form. i think the question of who created god is flawed in its assumption that god needs to have a maker or a cause and is therefore an effect of its own creation.

The same is also true of the universe, the godly cannot abide the idea that the universe has always been in existence as it negates the need for a creator, they cannot cope with the concept of no singularity for the universe, or the idea of infinite universes. They also cannot cope with the idea of god needing a creator as this leads to infinite gods and therefore makes them far less special. I have know idea how the universe/universes started or if it /they started at all. I have heard the many concepts,the latest being "rainbow Theory". What I am having a go at is the conceit of the religious to ignore all the evidence we have, to create their god as the only one, inventing ideas with no substance to make their beliefs fit. Quite possibly and I think incredibly likely the existence of the universe has nothing to do with a sentient creator.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:17 pm

People cannot conceive outside of their capability so trying to understand how the Universe works is not likely to lead to the actual truth of the matter.

Consider an ant or a harvest mite. In comparison with smaller organisms they must seem like they have got their s**t together but could they be made aware of beings outside of their own limited range of experience and scope? Can an ant conceive of a human, let alone understand it?

Can anyone, including humans, conceive and understand things outside their limits of comprehension? No. This is why humans are convinced we have made the Universe by retro-appointing a fat dude with white hair and beard to whizz us up into existence over a course of arbitrary parameters loosely connected to the actual forces governing our existence. And before that there was other similar dudes and dudettes and before that it was the Sun and the Moon and the Morning Star and before that..who knows, we probably didn't give it much thought, what with just getting on with the business of living and what have you.

I am sure awarenesses can evolve and expand further than their current limits, but we cannot know now what we don't know now, can we.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:47 pm

Ganondox wrote:
No reason why something can't be eternal.

This! I'd add, or recursive.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm

TallyMan wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

I'm not holding anything... platonic or not!

Are you sure? It's a limited time opportunity.