Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm

I just recently discovered The Big Bang Theory. I don't know how I missed it. I'm curious as to how other people relate to these characters. I can relate to most of the rude comments Sheldon makes, either where he is coming from, or why it doesn't seem insulting to him.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 10:46 pm

I first saw it about a year ago. By now, I've watched most, possibly all, of the episodes.

I used to be puzzled at the occasional question of whether I've seen it after I said something that apparently reminded someone about the show.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 1:12 am

I can relate to all the nerds except Leonard.

Sheldon- arrogant, thinks he knows more than everybody else
Amy- real needy, wants to have a normal social life even though she is really, really nerdy
Raj- selective mutism around women, helps if he is intoxicated
Howard- always saying something offensive to women, pisses them off because he tries too hard, is a nice guy even though he comes across as a jerk sometimes.

I loved that show because I could relate to the characters. Finally a show about nerds!

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

Is it just me, or did Leonard change a bit between season 1 and season 2? I related to the first season Leonard, but then he seems to have picked up some social skills.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 7:25 pm

I personally love the show. Despite that fact that Sheldon comes across as rude and socially inept, he still is a successful, respected academic - an inspiration for Aspies everywhere. I particularly enjoy that Sheldon has been allowed to grow, and develop his relationship with Amy, again giving inspiration to young, perhaps depressed Aspies who might fear that they may never meet anyone. While the word Asperger's has never been uttered on the show, it still portrays the condition in a positive, if exaggerated light.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

Check out "The IT Crowd". Better writing than TBBT. Thus, funnier. :)

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2014, 7:21 pm

The IT crowd. :lol: Good show, but you got to be a fan of British humor if you American. And I am a fan of British humor, so yes, good show. :)

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm

I'm not really sure that I relate to any of them because I'm not that smart or nerdy. I do find them fun/funny though. I really like Leonard though I think he's the most "normal" of them all and he's probably meant to be the person the regular viewer most relates to.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2014, 11:12 am

I think TBBT has made more people aware of autism / aspergers and made them more understanding as a feel some of the things the characters feel and can relate with them (except sheldon )