Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm

I don't think that this topic has been created yet. I thought that it would be fun to post social questions and answers to those questions. If you would like to post something here, post a question you have about social skills and answer a question that somebody recently asked about social skills. Please feel free to write any questions and answers you have here :)

I'll start with a question that I have:
What are some good ways to make small talk?

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm

I like to talk about television shows that are popular or maybe something in the news. I try to keep it non personal and easy for everyone to join in. Like I talk about my favorite comedians or ect. Oh right a question, um what kind of boundaries are there on friendships and what they discuss with each other?

KC2014
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Jan 2014, 11:25 pm

I'm still trying to learn. I find that commenting on something in the environment or on the person help. So if they are wearing a pretty scarf, you might say, "oh that's a nice scarf" ... Adding the "oh" helps it sound less forced and planned. Sometimes it can be hard because I often don't particularly like anything. I tend to just notice characteristics of things in my environment without much preference. I also get nervous as the conversation progresses because I'm not sure what to say. It seems most people enjoy discussing sports or people you both may know or areas of commonality, especially places you both have been .. but exactly how to say things, when to insert humor, when are you saying something weird and embarrassing, these are all things I am confused about. These aren't things I tend to notice or think about and that's the problem.

I guess I think the best way to make small talk is to analyze what other people do and try your best to copy them. I've joined a bunch of meetup groups with the hope I will be able to hear casual conversation and practice it myself.

In response to the second question, I don't really know as I don't have friends.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

In response to KingofKabooms' question, I consider each friend individually to determine the boundaries in friendships and what to discuss with each other. I think that boundaries in friendships and what you discuss with each other are determined by a mixture of things, such as how much time you spend together and how compatible you are.

Some things seem pretty definite. You wouldn't share something very upsetting with a friend you just met but you might share that with a friend you've known for a long time. You might also spend more time with a close friend than you would with a friend who isn't as close. To be honest, I follow the boundaries and discussion topics that my friends set with me to the extent that I feel comfortable doing so.

Here's my question. What is the best way to deal with disagreeable people in group projects?

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 6:45 pm

Often I would ask everyone else what they think if one person disagrees. Since it's a group project it works on consensus, if they simply won't work with the consensus ignore them until they do.