Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

I talked to my aunt about possibly having an ASD. She has a granddaughter with severe autism. She says I was very different than her granddaughter, for example as a baby I would play peek a boo and she would not.

Would an aspie baby play peek a boo? Does my early interaction exclude me from ASD territory?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm

That's why they call it a Spectrum - there's a lot of difference between Low Functioning Autism and High Functioning Autism.

Just as there's a lot of difference between what someone with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism is like when they're a child, and what they're like when they become an adult. Some things that are baffling to us at 4 years old, we have all figured out by the time we're 20 or 30.

I don't know if babies on the low functioning end of the spectrum usually comprehend peek-a-boo or not. If not, it's probably got something to do with the Theory of Mind issues. The whole point of the game is that the baby realizes that the person hiding behind their hands didn't really go anywhere and that it's just a silly pretense.

If you didn't understand that, and thought the person actually disappeared when you couldn't see them, then I suppose you wouldn't laugh. You might even get upset that they left, even though they didn't.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm

Sometimes I played peek-a-boo and loved being held by my mom.
Other times, no.

Sometimes, I would play a board game with my sisters.
Other times I would sit mesmerized by the way the phonograph went round and round, or the way the water came out of the faucet.

There is no one "sign" of autism, just as there is no one "sign" of not having autism.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:18 am

I never understood the point of peek a boo until Willard eggsplained it above. I didn't think there was a point.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:41 am

Angnix wrote:
I talked to my aunt about possibly having an ASD. She has a granddaughter with severe autism. She says I was very different than her granddaughter, for example as a baby I would play peek a boo and she would not.
Would an aspie baby play peek a boo? Does my early interaction exclude me from ASD territory?

If you were able to talk at the regular time that excludes you from that particular ASD territory.
The problem with getting a baby with more severe classic autism to play peek a boo, is they wont
even look at you, much less respond. So all that has been established is that you did not have severe
autism - not that you don't have another kind of autism.

Ennik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Hello,

NT here.

My son - on the spectrum - used to play this (German: "guck-guck binau", at least in my home area) at the age most children do;

my nephew - on the spectrum - never even so much as reacted to his mother's or any other human voice or action at that age.

So, perhaps not interacting that way could be seen as an indicator for being on the spectrum but not the other way round....

Greetings

Ennik

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

Willard wrote:
That's why they call it a Spectrum - there's a lot of difference between Low Functioning Autism and High Functioning Autism.

Just as there's a lot of difference between what someone with Asperger Syndrome or High Functioning Autism is like when they're a child, and what they're like when they become an adult. Some things that are baffling to us at 4 years old, we have all figured out by the time we're 20 or 30.

I don't know if babies on the low functioning end of the spectrum usually comprehend peek-a-boo or not. If not, it's probably got something to do with the Theory of Mind issues. The whole point of the game is that the baby realizes that the person hiding behind their hands didn't really go anywhere and that it's just a silly pretense.

If you didn't understand that, and thought the person actually disappeared when you couldn't see them, then I suppose you wouldn't laugh. You might even get upset that they left, even though they didn't.

I think the whole point of the game is that they don't understand the person is still there, but as they keep playing it and growing older, they figure it out. When they first start, they are surprised when the person pops out, but when they get older they giggle.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

I don't think my parents played peek-a-boo with me, but they did play other games that were similar, and they told me that I did cotton on and enjoy it like most typical babies.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:25 pm

If my parents played peeka boo they did it by covering their face with their hands and then opening their hands again and repeatedly going 'peeka boo' at me.

okay dokey then! Silly sods they could be. It is one of those amusing but 'what on earth are they doing' moments. Hence I would giggle.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm

I more than definitely have a spectrum disorder (doctors not sure if Aspergers or High Functioning Autism) but i used to play Peek-a-boo and hide and seek.

i love your avatar

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:44 pm

I remember my mother playing peek-a-boo with me. I don't remember responding to it. She told me I never laughed or smiled when I was little. I remember it because I liked getting the attention from my mother.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 3:57 pm

I can't remember anything like that so I asked my mother. She couldn't remember a lot about it but she thought they didn't play a lot like that with me, because she didn't see much point in it. She thought it was mostly done to distract me when we were out and I started crying. She thinks I laughed at it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765