Hot Or Not Composite: Attractive face Scale

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Feb 2007, 10:20 pm

Quote:
These women do not exist. They each are a composite of about 30 faces that I created to find out the current standard of good looks on the Internet.
On the popular Hot or Not web site, people rate others’ attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 10. An average score based on hundreds or even thousands of individual ratings takes only a few days to emerge.
I collected some photos from the site, sorted them by rank and used SquirlzMorph to create multi-morph composites from them. Unlike projects like Face of Tomorrow or Beauty Check where the subjects are posed for the purpose, the portraits are blurry because the source images are low resolution with differences in posture, hair styles, glasses, etc, so that I could use only 36 control points for the morphs.
What did I conclude about good looks from these virtual faces? First, morphs tend to be prettier than their sources because face asymmetries and skin blemishes average out. However, the low score images show that fat is not attractive. The high scores tend to have narrow faces. I will leave it to you to find more differences and to do a similar project for men.

http://flickr.com/photos/40702206@N00/146532556

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Feb 2007, 10:25 pm

alex wrote:
the low score images show that fat is not attractive.
that isnt surpising, if this was a few hundred years ago the fat face would get all the attention, if i remember correctly being fat in the olded days was a sign of healthyness.

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Feb 2007, 10:31 pm

richardbenson wrote:
alex wrote:
that isnt surpising, if this was a few hundred years ago the fat face would get all the attention, if i remember correctly being fat in the olded days was a sign of healthyness.

yeah well now its a sign of unhealthiness

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

10 Feb 2007, 10:32 pm

this is true!

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2007, 11:23 pm

That's interesting. Not exactly the order I would rate them in, though.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2007, 11:57 pm

I like the first one in the second row best. She looks genuine and healthy.

Geistmann
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2007, 4:15 am

richardbenson wrote:
alex wrote:

It also was a sign of one being wealthy. Those who were uber skinny (ie. today's supermodels) tended to be poor and underfed.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 4:19 am

It's amazing how much averaging can do. Even the 6.5-6.9 average looks decently attractive.

I really like Hot or Not as well, some of my friends have said I'm addicted to it. I have a long list saved to my computer of girls I particularly liked, and by now there are a few hundred on there. I also have a bunch (though MUCH fewer) pictures saved, and I went through and averaged some of them using an online demo program (at www.faceresearch.org) to see what the averages would look like. In picking the faces to use, I was essentially limited to faces that filled a decent amount of the picture and were looking at the camera. I find that the averages I made look better when I walk away from my computer and look from a distance than when I'm up close, because the averaging of faces with different hairstyles, facial expressions, etc. blurs the images.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 7:04 am

they all look the same!! !! ! 8O

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:32 am

Interesting. The one I like best is the one labelled "Average".

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Feb 2007, 9:47 am

Xenon wrote:
Interesting. The one I like best is the one labelled "Average".

that's all 30 faces averaged together

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:49 am

I figured that. But it's interesting that I find that one more attractive than the ones with the high numerical ratings.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Feb 2007, 9:51 am

rather it's 30*30 faces since each picture is made up of 30 averaged

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 12:52 pm

I like the ones in the middle row. They look fairly attractive, and they represent the people I'd readily approach. The 9.0 - 9.5 and 9.5 - 10 faces (last two before "average") have a "stand back, loser" vibe to them, although they definitely look good. Then again, maybe the vibe I picked up is just a Pavlovian reflex I have to good-looking people.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 1:25 pm

Except for the one in the upper left, who looks heavier, they all look exactly the same to me 8O.

kayetes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2007, 3:47 pm

6.0-6.4 looks best :wink: