Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:04 pm

EzraS wrote:
HisMom wrote:
How were your play skills between the ages of 4 to 7 ? Do you remember being able to understand spoken language even if you couldn't talk ?

My play skills were not very good. Mainly lots of stimming.
But I liked to arrange things so any play involving that worked.
I think understanding spoken language was limited to the single
words i used like eat, drink, cold, mine, no (lots of no). That's how vaguely
I remember it. But my mom said she thinks I absorbed more then it seemed.
Then somewhere around seven I started putting sentences together, so just really delayed
speech development. But I also have dyspraxia that causes me to have difficulty speaking.

My son has dyspraxia, too ! Do you remember how your fine motor skills and self help skills were ? Did you attend a special education program ? Receive ABA ? Were you interested in the world around you ? I do think he understands a lot more than he lets on, but there is no way to really know how much he gets and how much he doesn't. I use single words with him, too. Did you use sign language or PECS ? Do you remember anything at all from the ages of 4 to 7 ? Would you be able to ask your Mom and post back ? I truly believe your mother and you can help me. Thanks, Ezra.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:10 pm

Another thing I realize is that there are tell tale signs that expressive language is about to develop. There are also pre-req milestones that just be met before language can happen. An important pre-language skills seems to be gestural communication and an awareness / interest in the world around them (which leads to increased involvement with the people around, and hence a desire to communicate - the basic principles of Son Rise or Floor Time). My son is a lot more interactive now than he was a year ago, but still nowhere near as close to where he should be. I am at my wits' end on how to bring about this interest & curiosity in the environment, aside from continually interacting with him in hopes he will eventually reciprocate.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm

hi, i had a normal development of speech but i have a very low Verbal I.Q.

i remember learning to speak and i found it easier to copy a word if there was a rhythm to it, and if a word is said slowly, i could repeat it in my head and match it with a meaning.

i hope this helps. remember to be patient

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:37 pm

I thought about it and decided to take you as truly asking for techniques we used, as it is too disturbing trying to figure out whether you're being sarcastic or just want something concrete and practical. I don't understand sarcasm.

We actually did use OT in the form of swinging and sensory activities that increased my child's receptivity to adults. And people generally. And the speech therapist focused on identifying what my child was interested in and supporting communication about what she wanted, not on what other people thought she should learn or do. This worked for us.

cattails
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

HisMom wrote:
cattails wrote:
Hi, my youngest son (25! now) did not talk coherently until he was 4. We could always tell that he understood a lot, but he was making up gibberish as if he thought it was "fun to talk like we were" and that the sounds were all just made-up. He had started to use some regular words but still just made up speech. He was tested/screened and sent to a speech therapist. Luckily they were good and he seemed to enjoy it. But the most interesting thing was that he suddenly realized that he was speaking "wrong". He had no idea before. And, boy he worked hard to get it right. He was attending a pre-school and going to the special-ed speech therapy in the afternoon. Much to their surprise, later that year he started to teach himself to read. This involved non-stop questions, " How do you spell ____?" and "what does THAT say?"

He turned out to be talented at writing and a maniac history/sociology buff. There are challenges. He's not very coordinated, is "in-his-head" and maturity has come slowly in some ways and quickly in others. He loves socializing but is limited by sensory issues. He has just now finally decided to start college studying journalism and history. He has spent time working at blue-collar jobs to develop his practical abilities and balance himself some.

Could you please share what techniques helped in receptive language development ? Thank you.

We talked to him a lot. He has 2 older brothers who interacted and talked to him a lot. There were visiting neighbor kids around. We didn't know there was anything wrong with him and just kept communicating. Number 2 son had not talked until he was three and at that time revealed that he knew a lot of words and could do it. My first son talked early and at the time I figured it was because he was hanging out with only adults until he was 2.

We had no help with the language learning until youngest son went to speech therapy. I wish I knew what they did there. Actually I will ask him if he remembers when I see him tonight.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:13 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
I thought about it and decided to take you as truly asking for techniques we used, as it is too disturbing trying to figure out whether you're being sarcastic or just want something concrete and practical. I don't understand sarcasm.

We actually did use OT in the form of swinging and sensory activities that increased my child's receptivity to adults. And people generally. And the speech therapist focused on identifying what my child was interested in and supporting communication about what she wanted, not on what other people thought she should learn or do. This worked for us.

I don't understand sarcasm, either, which is why I always ask people for clarification, as it is entirely possible that I misunderstood your previous post. I have a hard time figuring out "under currents", especially online where we don't have the benefit of facial or body language to help us correctly interpret the other person's communication. Online communication is just a wall of words that anyone can interpret any which way. Please know that I do not intend to be sarcastic. I am being honest when I say I am looking for some practical and concrete tips on improving my son's receptive language.

We do get OT but I think my son's problems are more cognitive than social. I wouldn't say he is super social (he is too severely communicative impaired to be social, really) but it isn't like he blindly avoids people, either. I honestly do think there is something else going on with his cognition that needs to be resolved, in order for him to meet the pre-req developmental milestones that would help him gain an understanding of language. To this end, I have recently begun looking into games & activities involving cognition - and am seeing slow progress. I did not intend my previous post to sound sarcastic, I just wondered if you had perhaps assumed that anything that helped your child may not help mine because my son is on the very low end of the spectrum. You won't believe some of the smugness that I have encountered from parents of children who are very high functioning, and I am admittedly very sensitive to their snide self - satisfactory replies to my questions with "oh, but my child is VERY high functioning", like my child is too stupid to be helped by anything that helped their genius high functioning kids. When I saw that disclaimer from you that your child is different than mine, I assumed that you may have meant the same thing, hence my response asking if that was the case ? No sarcasm intended, I am sorry you saw it that way !

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm

cattails wrote:
HisMom wrote:
cattails wrote:
Hi, my youngest son (25! now) did not talk coherently until he was 4. We could always tell that he understood a lot, but he was making up gibberish as if he thought it was "fun to talk like we were" and that the sounds were all just made-up. He had started to use some regular words but still just made up speech. He was tested/screened and sent to a speech therapist. Luckily they were good and he seemed to enjoy it. But the most interesting thing was that he suddenly realized that he was speaking "wrong". He had no idea before. And, boy he worked hard to get it right. He was attending a pre-school and going to the special-ed speech therapy in the afternoon. Much to their surprise, later that year he started to teach himself to read. This involved non-stop questions, " How do you spell ____?" and "what does THAT say?"

He turned out to be talented at writing and a maniac history/sociology buff. There are challenges. He's not very coordinated, is "in-his-head" and maturity has come slowly in some ways and quickly in others. He loves socializing but is limited by sensory issues. He has just now finally decided to start college studying journalism and history. He has spent time working at blue-collar jobs to develop his practical abilities and balance himself some.

Could you please share what techniques helped in receptive language development ? Thank you.

We talked to him a lot. He has 2 older brothers who interacted and talked to him a lot. There were visiting neighbor kids around. We didn't know there was anything wrong with him and just kept communicating. Number 2 son had not talked until he was three and at that time revealed that he knew a lot of words and could do it. My first son talked early and at the time I figured it was because he was hanging out with only adults until he was 2.

We had no help with the language learning until youngest son went to speech therapy. I wish I knew what they did there. Actually I will ask him if he remembers when I see him tonight.

My older child had a speech delay, too, but she always understood everything I told her. I basically could talk to her and know she understood every word, and it was just an expressive language delay. True enough, when she started talking at age 2.5 years, it was in sentences !

My son on the other hand does not seem to understand language at all. I would love to hear how they worked with your youngest. Every feedback helps. Thank you.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:46 am

Bump ! Anyone else ?! Please, your feedback would help a lot. Thank you.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 11:28 am

HisMom wrote:
Anyone else ?! Please, your feedback would help a lot. Thank you.

Someone on this forum experienced in "low-functioning" autistic development, used and suggested English as a second language books that helped her with receptive delay.