Disruption to routine- Depression in place of meltdown?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:25 pm

Can that happen as sort of a "slow burn" version of a meltdown?

Your routine gets messed with (or things change beyond your control) and a depression sets in?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

For me depression can set in after.
But my first reaction is always panic or frustration or fury.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:33 pm

Upset, anger, hitting self on head on really bad days first. If disruptions occur frequently or continue for a long period of time depression will soon set in.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

So no depression setting in as an immediate reaction to the change? Some sort of fury has to come first?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm

Okay, I guess this wasn't something where the dots connected. Least, not for anyone else.

Last attempt, then it'll be going, going, gone!

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2014, 6:10 pm

I tend to get depressed in response to things beyond my control. It happens so quietly, I often don't even know that I'm unhappy - I just lose interest in everything, get tired and withdrawn. There's no fury or even upset, in my case; it tends to take me a while to even realise that something is amiss and that's why I'm shutting down.

But I only suspect I might have an ASD, so I don't know how useful this is to you.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 6:23 pm

That happens to me, especially when I was a kid. If something that I had planned changed or didn't happen, I'd get very upset and feel like crap for the rest of the day.

When I was young, I'd go to my dads on weekends and he'd also pick me up on Wednesdays after school to go eat dinner. One Wednesday when I was around 9, he couldn't pick me up and I spent several hours crying because of it and felt miserable and just shut down the rest of the evening. I was depressed for the rest of the week until I saw him again Friday evening.

I've only had a stereotypical "meltdown" a few times in my life, and I'm more prone to depression and shutting down from situations that would cause meltdowns in others.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 6:37 pm

I do that sometimes.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

Sometimes if enough logic is floating around in my head just before a meltdown, the fury gets turned inwards into deep depression that easily lasts a few hours.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:45 pm

This happens to me too. I get angry or upset and then depression sets in.

SDB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2014, 2:18 pm

After I moved to another country (one of the most radical disruptions to routine I can imagine), I started suffering from depression. Never have (had) meltdowns though.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2014, 5:37 pm

Sethno wrote:
Can that happen as sort of a "slow burn" version of a meltdown?

Your routine gets messed with (or things change beyond your control) and a depression sets in?

It does for me. When I have no routine or my routine gets messed up I go into depression zone rather than meltdown. I think as I got older things switched from meltdown to depression.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2014, 6:54 pm

I get upset/angry first, then depressed, then routine is disrupted, or routine is disrupted and then meltdown. It sort of happens at the same time, the meltdown and routine.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm

Change = anxiety, which morphs quickly into depression. I don't have classic meltdowns. I just get tired, spacey, and miserable.

Al725
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2014, 1:33 am

My reaction to an uncontrollable change to my planned sequence of events is usually anger. This anger thinkollowed by more anger as I think of more events in my past and present that make or have made me angry. If I get hungry, this anger is magnified 10x.

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2014, 4:02 am

I remember a few of my therapists in the past saying that my depression is anger turned inward. I don't know if what I've experienced before would be called a meltdown or not, but when things would spiral out of control I'd turn to severe depression and self injury (Cutting initially and then I'd snap rubber bands against my wrists til they'd bruise). So, yeah, any of the fury common with meltdowns was self-directed in my case...