Do some of the people here even have Asperger's syndrome?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 5:38 am

While I know this question will piss a lot of people of, it seems like a lot of people here have no understanding of how Asperger's (at the very least) affects other people. While some of the people in the L&D sub-forum deserve to be reprimanded, other people seem to take it for granted that you're supposed to get irony, not take stuff literally, be able to empathize and all that. Furthermore, if you make a thread about tips for establishing friendships, tips for dating, tips for job interviews etc., you'll typically get generic stock answers or you'll be called out on your social awkwardness.

While basic statistics dictate that there are far more aspies in the "mild" range than in the moderate or severe range (at least if autistic traits are distributed the same way as intelligence), people need to understand what mild in this context means. While getting a diagnosis in the US can be expensive, you should at least get an expert's opinion before concluding that you have the disorder (an online test that anyone can write in JavaScript does not count). Someone who got the diagnosis in childhood, but who no longer meet the criteria, should get a second opinion as well.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

Autism advocates say Bill Gates the great speaker, salesman, socializer, dating many woman, starting a company, excelling in school, going to Harvard, no obvious dysfunction as having autism. So, I would think anyone slightly introverted thinks hey, I probably have AS.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 5:56 am

Bill Gates is a more likely candidate for ADHD. While there are indeed celebrities with AS, these celebrities often have a similar set of problems as Michael Jackson (a candidate for mild Asperger's).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 6:05 am

It isn't appropriate to make dismissive third party diagnosis of members here. Whether members are on the autistic spectrum or not isn't a matter for other members to speculate on or to dismiss.