Transsexual Woman seeks first uterine transplant $250,000!

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Sarah Luiz seeks to become the first transsexual woman with a uterine transplant.

Quoted "The price tag for the surgery not cheap at $250,000 — but that doesn’t daunt Luiz, who now works as a server at a local restaurant chain". :D

"Luiz hopes to give birth to a girl, though she says she’d be happy with a boy, too".

http://www.dallasvoice.com/trans-woman- ... 20293.html

Perhaps the ACA will pay for this eventually.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 10:35 pm

The 250-large is just the beginning. Any implanted organ requires anti-rejection medication. I don't even want to think about the trauma involved with connecting the circulatory system to an organ that wasn't previously in the abdominal cavity.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 10:50 pm

That will be a very difficult surgery and procedure.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:13 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
That will be a very difficult surgery and procedure.

Yes, only one successful transplant so far. However, the child did not survive.

"On the 12th of April 2013, Akdeniz University announced that Derya Sert was pregnant.[20][21][22] The statement made by the university hospital also added that Sert would give birth by C-section to prevent any complications. On 14 May 2013, it was announced that Sert terminated her pregnancy in its 8th week following a routine examination where doctors failed to detect a fetal heartbeat.[23]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uterus_transplantation

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 14 Jan 2014, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

Does somebody want to argue that this surgery is necessary? :roll: God help the Dr. Frankenstein who does such a surgery when you can adopt and love a child just the same.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:22 am

Jacoby wrote:
Does somebody want to argue that this surgery is necessary? :roll: God help the Dr. Frankenstein who does such a surgery when you can adopt.

I think some women would like to have the child birth/breast feeding experience, so it is necessary for some women to have happiness. :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:39 am

Do you think she will be able to breast feed? One day, I am sure, gender reassignment will be so perfected differences won't be detectable. I wonder what gene splicing could accomplish here? Anyway to make male DNA female or vice versa? Could happen one day.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:54 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Do you think she will be able to breast feed? One day, I am sure, gender reassignment will be so perfected differences won't be detectable. I wonder what gene splicing could accomplish here? Anyway to make male DNA female or vice versa? Could happen one day.

Yes. It is possible for a transsexual woman through hormone therapy to produce milk. The breasts that transsexual women grow as part of hormone replacement therapy (HRT) are functionally and structurally the same as a cis woman's breasts, except where HRT is begun after puberty, transsexual women's breasts usually don't make it as far in their development as Tanner stage 5.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 12:56 am

Jacoby wrote:
Does somebody want to argue that this surgery is necessary? :roll: God help the Dr. Frankenstein who does such a surgery when you can adopt and love a child just the same.

I agree that this particular surgery, at this particular stage in its development, is not medically necessary. It is currently experimental, for one thing.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

It seems like a massive effort and expense at the moment, but the woman who wants it done is a pioneer.

I wonder if they could ever transplant a full male reproductive system for FtM people? Not that I'd want one; I'm not FtM and I love my clitoris and my vagina. It's just that if you had both of these surgeries available and working, it'd be good, I guess.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jan 2014, 2:11 am

You have to think about the child as well as the grave risk the mother, I don't think it is right to experiment with life like this. It was attempted before and the child died, how many times are they going do this experiment? Until it works? There are so many unwanted unloved children in the world, I can't see how it can be morally or ethically justified.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2014, 2:21 am

Hmm, I think my wife is done using her uterus. I'll ask her if she wants to sell it. As is, slightly used, one careful owner, have all maintenance records ....

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 7:45 am

Jacoby wrote:
You have to think about the child as well as the grave risk the mother, I don't think it is right to experiment with life like this. It was attempted before and the child died, how many times are they going do this experiment? Until it works? There are so many unwanted unloved children in the world, I can't see how it can be morally or ethically justified.

Yes. It's no worse than the animal testing that get's done. If she wants to risk her life then she can go do that. Anyway, the reaches of such a surgery extend far beyond just transgender patients. For one, the same thing could be used to reverse hysterectomies, if they can put a uterus where there never was one, then they can probably. You can stop stomping on people's dreams and think about things which are actually relevant to you.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 8:33 am

We've found the definition of "selfish."

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

...and it is us."

It's no more selfish than someone buying a big house when they don't need it, or a couple that could adopt a child choosing not to, or buying Sky when you could sponsor a couple of children for that amount. Unless you're referring to the possibility that the fetus will die? Well, it seems to be that a significant fraction of fesus' die - miscarriage rates are much higher than you probably think, though perhaps not as high as 50% (but getting close). Every time a woman conceives she rolls a dice, and if it lands on a particular number, her child dies. Should they all adopt, instead?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 5:05 pm

i wonder if the people criticising this surgery are more worried about the final vestige of natures dictatorship over our reproductive destinies coming to an abrupt end?

Yes, there will be stumbling blocks along the way but this is something that should be accomplished.

My deviant art profile