Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

GinBlossoms
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2014, 12:15 am

OK, so I told you before I have a rare diagnosis called Joubert Syndrome and I have problems speaking confidently because of oral-coordination problems. I want a fix that is free and doesn't involve therapy, it's driving me ill. I feel very hasty right now because I don't feel like it's something I can improve on.I will not accept that it cannot be improved. If that's the case then God is a pretty miserable person for inventing me on Earth because What's the point of being confident when you have a permanent speech problem?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 2:40 am

I basically have the same thing. Selective mustism due to aparxia of speech.
I totally understand your frustration of course.
There is no fix outside of therapy and practice that i know of.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 10:44 am

There was an older potter being interviewed on PBS. He said that the secret to making artistic pottery was to make 20-30,000 pots and it would come naturally.

In a similar vein a car stopped in New York the driver asked a man walking on the side walk, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall". The man replied, "Practice, practice".

There is a group called Toastmasters that exists primarily for giving people experience in public speaking. You may want to find a local group and see what would be involved in getting as much experience as you can.