Do you think life is worth living when you're ugly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think it is worth it?
Yes 86%  86%  [ 19 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 22

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 7:48 pm

kittyxbabe wrote:
Uprising wrote:
Life is too short and time goes too quick to commit suicide over such things.

It's something I have to deal with every second of every day though

So do I.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

I am ugly -- I look into the mirror and I see someone who most closely resembles Gargamel's grandfather ... gimpy walk ... deformed left hand ... stooped posture ... grey hair ... crooked teeth ... ugly ...

But my wife loves me. I'm employed, and able to support us both. I donate time and money in service to those less fortunate. I can play piano, clarinet and violin (not all at once, of course).

Some people even claim to like me, in spite of my obvious lack of attractive features.

I guess there is some truth to the maxim that "Beauty is as beauty does" -- in my case, at least.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 8:28 pm

What actually matters is if you're beautiful inside. :)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:46 am

Some of the main things that made humans sucessful was their ability to manipulate things to adapt to their environment or move to better ones.

Being percieved as ugly is definately one of the suckiest burdens/problems. I think you are on the right track though as far as improving the situation, and others have mentioned a useful response or two. That being taking actions (ie. being in shape) that enhance other areas of attractiveness and confidence. Possible surgery. Someone mentioned adopting a non-standard style.

One thing I might add is the factor of relativity. Accross the whole spread of humanity there is greater subjectivity as far as beauty and ugliness goes. Just as a hypothetical example, if you were to move to Mongolia you might not find as much bias based on your features as to them you are from a group that is alien to begin with and more or less all looks the same. And your features might not clash with their own sensibilities as much to begin with. Though you would, I should add, still have the problems of cultural differences and biases to deal with. But even a lesser move might bring significant change. I wonder if doing some traveling might turn up places less biased against you.

I could also add there are many in the same boat as you. Good people trapped in unpopular packaging. Usually males take the initiative in dating, but this is one situation where a male might have their confidence in shreds and some prompting on your part would be useful and appropriate in the circumstances.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 5:48 am

Duplicate post

But maybe I can take the opportunity to actually answer your thread title question.

Ugliness has absolutely no degrading effect on quality of life in the physical sense. It doesn't effect how your walk, or think, or eat your peas and carrots. Its negative effects are all due to peoples perceptions and arbitrary valuations based on them.

So yes life is worth living and F*** them if they want to behave like immature kids.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

kittyxbabe wrote:
I'm actually ugly, trust me life just doesn't seem worth living. I get laughed at all the time in public, and at school. It's not even fair, almost everyone is attractive and then I'm ugly, it actually makes makes me physically ill to go to school and see how much better looking almost everyone is. People walk by me and they say things to the people they're with like "are you a boy, or a girl?"
-_- The only thing I can think about is plastic surgery (I plan to get a job and get 50k to pay for plastic surgery)

But do you think life is worth living when you're ugly?

Our prime minister is physically unattractive. She's happily married and has two kids who look completely normal. Even if you're not succesful at love, there's more to life than dating.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

Kurgan wrote:
kittyxbabe wrote:
I'm actually ugly, trust me life just doesn't seem worth living. I get laughed at all the time in public, and at school. It's not even fair, almost everyone is attractive and then I'm ugly, it actually makes makes me physically ill to go to school and see how much better looking almost everyone is. People walk by me and they say things to the people they're with like "are you a boy, or a girl?"
-_- The only thing I can think about is plastic surgery (I plan to get a job and get 50k to pay for plastic surgery)

But do you think life is worth living when you're ugly?

Our prime minister is physically unattractive. She's happily married and has two kids who look completely normal. Even if you're not succesful at love, there's more to life than dating.

There is a girl around my town my age who has the appearance of an unhealthy looking 80 year old and the mindset of a 5 year old and yup, she managed to snatch normal looking guys.

Just saying, it isn't 100% impossible.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 3:04 pm

Anyone who would bully someone because of their appearance isn't good enough for you, so please don't let them upset you! You should focus more on who you are on the inside and what you like about yourself there.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 5:31 am

Sure it is. I'm ugly as a hairless dog, who cares? (honestly, I am) Life isn't worth living being extremely insecure and self-conscious though.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 10:02 am

The way I see it, looks don't count. I'm not ugly but I still lack confidence, which makes me lack friends and miss opportunities in life and feel isolated and depressed, which then makes me give off the wrong vibes that make people turn away even when I smile.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

With my daemon looking jagged stubs of teeth and my creepy face I am not a looker by a long shot. More to life than looks.