E____, I'm a loner/relationships are meaningless - early dxd 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
E____, I retreat cause I feel too much - early dxd 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
E____, I retreat cause I feel too much - early dxd 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 60

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 10:03 am

This poll is to see some correlation between mbti type - relations - diagnosis age. I'm curious because maybe the INT personality types is the way society sees aspies in general. It could impact in diagnosis age for instance and help us understand aspergers stereotypes in popular culture.
I didn't include all possible answers cause creating a poll is too much work. The late/early diagnosis is up to you to decide, but I guess a late diagnosis would be from teen years and on.
Thanks for participating :D

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 10:20 am

I've done an online MTBI multiple times over the past few years and have mostly been labelled INFJ or ENFJ, but have received others too. Generally, I always have the J but the rest have changed. It really depends on the context in which I answer the questions, and that's the main reason I hate doing the test as every question is too difficult for me to answer accurately.

I haven't been diagnosed and so obviously that will discredit my answer to the poll, but I don't think that fact alone should discount me! =)

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 11:09 am

I am definitely an INT (about 60% of the test claim that I am an INTJ and 40% claim that I am an INTP, but I feel that the INTP description fits me better than does the INTJ description); I have also yet to be officially, here's-your-paperwork diagnosed, but two out of three therapist within the last two years seem to think that I may be on the milder end of the autistic spectrum, and some doctors had raised the issue with my parents when I was a child.
I am a loner by nature, but I do also retreat when I become overwhelmed.

What should I put on the poll?

In regards to your theory, I wonder if it would actually be the extroverted autistics that would be sooner diagnosed, as it is easier to see one's difficulties with social interaction when one more often attempts to interact socially (many introverts, for example, could probably slip under the radar as being "nerdy" or "shy" in the absence of obvious stims, notable sensory issues, and severe developmental delays, but the kid who monologues about their special interests to any willing participant is more likely to be seen as "something is off with that child," and extraverts, if I understand correctly, are more likely to be sensory-seeking, which would thus cause them to engage in behaviors that would attract attention (such as banging their heads or jumping up and down).

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

Don't think I have it, but I do have some executive dysfunction problems in terms of decision making, motivation, and STM.

I'm I/E NTP and am a loner because I'm too lazy/unmotivated to have friends.

I didn't vote.

Poor motivation

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 1:36 pm

INTP - I retreat because I feel too much. Not formally diagnosed, but I have been told by professionals that I probably have it mildly (but had it more obviously when I was a child.)

McCool
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

I'm ISTJ diagnosed at age 27.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2014, 4:16 pm

On the unofficial test I score INTJ unequivocally, but honestly I think I'm an ESFJ (for reference the "uber" NT female) or ENFJ, going by the cognitive functions. I was diagnosed as an adult after many, many years of being a social chameleon and trying to fit in with other people.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

Diagnosed with AS at 13.
I retreat at times because I feel to much, other times because I think relationships are pointless.
Like, around Andrew I become very shy because I like him, but around my classmates I just don't feel anything and don't care about interacting with them.
I score either as ISTP, ISFP, INFP or INTP on the mbti tests. I have mood swings, I can pass from an extreme to another, it is impossible to identify my only "real" type because I don't have one.

And anyway, I think the mbti is not valid for people with mental disorders. I'll explain with.
The mbti was ctreated to analyze the personality of people, but it inevitably also examines some of the brain functions. But the brain functions that were taken as models to make the test were those of NTs because they are the majority. These is no mbti test that takes as models the brain functions of people with mental disorders. Therefore there is no accurate test for people with AS or other brain differences.
Example:
People with AS are going to score as introverts in most cases. But are they actually introverts or it's just the lack of social skills that make them score as introverts? Who can tell that? For example, I do prefer one-to-one conversation, but that's just because in a group I feel overwhelmed and confused by all the people speaking around me because I can't filter background noise, not because group discussion by itself is tiring to me. So what am I really? An introvert? An extravert? I can't know.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 6:29 am

I'm so happy I got all those replies I stimmed for a considerate time after this. Thank you guys! :D In real life when I have something to say people usually don't show any interest and don't listen (I say anyway :lol: but it's good to have some replies ). I'm lovin WrongPlanet.

WerewolfPoet wrote:
In regards to your theory, I wonder if it would actually be the extroverted autistics that would be sooner diagnosed, as it is easier to see one's difficulties with social interaction when one more often attempts to interact socially

Hmm very interesting. I was thinking exactly the opposite, that people didn't see aspies as extroverts so extroverts would have a hard time getting a diagnosis. But your theory makes sense too. Guess I would have to have more people joining the poll.

droppy wrote:
I score either as ISTP, ISFP, INFP or INTP on the mbti tests

Yeah, I guess that's pretty common with classifications isn't it? What if someone, say, is between 45% to 55% two characteristics, then this person will get different results all the time.

droppy wrote:
I think the mbti is not valid for people with mental disorders. [...] People with AS are going to score as introverts in most cases. But are they actually introverts or it's just the lack of social skills that make them score as introverts? Who can tell that? For example, I do prefer one-to-one conversation, but that's just because in a group I feel overwhelmed and confused by all the people speaking around me because I can't filter background noise, not because group discussion by itself is tiring to me. So what am I really? An introvert? An extravert? I can't know.

Very interesting. I got INFP "the dreamer", and 95% introvert. It fits me quite well. I guess the main difference between introverts and extroverts is that introverts get energy from time alone, and extroverts get energy from social interaction. Well, you can test that in a one-to-one conversation in a calm place so that you don't have to filter so much sensory imput. Do you feel charged when you interact or when you are by yourself? Based on this I guess must aspies would be introverts.
But sure it's a point that those tests weren't developed taking in consideration different mental disorders.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2014, 7:38 am

^^^
I don't get energized by being by myself, but I don't by being around others, either. None of those tire me as well. At times speaking it's very difficult for me but that's usually when I am in a bad mood, I know NTs who have the same characteristics, they had a bad day and say stuff like "I don't wanna talk now".
I do things stereotyped introverts usually don't do, like blurting out stuff and being impulsive. As a child my parents always told me I was barefaced and not to interrupt or other people or blurt out whatever came to my mind. But I do come across as shy and slow as well, and those are sterotyoical introvert traits. Maybe borderline introvert/extravert? I usually score from 55% to 70% on the introversion scale.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

My MBTI is INTJ. I was first introduced to MBTI in 1990 (at the age of 27), when I took the test for the first time. Immediately after taking the test, it became an interest of mine (for 23 years, up until the time I got diagnosed).

Why? Well, at the time, I wanted to better understand why I was so different than others. I wanted to understand why I had so much difficulty in childhood, early adulthood and in the workplace. I was looking for an explanation.

I purchased numerous books on the topic and spent hours reading blogs and online message boards. Probably, it was the time I first realized that other people didn’t think exactly like me. I had assumed, growing up, that everyone thought just like me. That we all shared a common algorithm for making decisions.

On your poll, I answered, “I'm a loner/relationships are meaningless - late dxd”, primarily because I didn’t understand what: “I retreat cause I feel too much” meant.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2014, 1:25 pm

The problem I have with the online test is that I can see different meanings for the questions--and for many of them, both options apply to me some of the time. I come out as INTJ on the test, but I doubt I am one. Probably more of a feeling type who's learned to suppress a lot of the negative emotions along the way in order not to disturb anyone or cause conflict. I probably have Fe (extraverted feeling) as one of my top functions; one of my preferred lenses of looking at the world.

It's tempting to wonder, though, if there is a correlation between MBTI and AS. The research shows that people with AS have imbalanced neural activity in the brain. On the other hand, there's this guy, Dario Nardi, who's done brain scans on people and has theorized that certain "functions" dominate activity in certain areas of the brain (not sure how accurate it is). So it's possible that people with AS don't have specific types at all. But our behavior tends to correlate more with the INxx types.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

McCool wrote:
I'm ISTJ diagnosed at age 27.

I'm also an ISTJ but diagnosed at 23.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

Late diagnosed INTP. Voted for "I'm a loner". I'm not a complete hermit; I do enjoy socializing once every month or two, but I'm pretty sure that qualifies me as a loner. I don't retreat because I feel too much, but because people waste my time with meaningless small talk and make me frazzled.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2014, 10:52 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:
I am definitely an INT (about 60% of the test claim that I am an INTJ and 40% claim that I am an INTP, but I feel that the INTP description fits me better than does the INTJ description); I have also yet to be officially, here's-your-paperwork diagnosed, but two out of three therapist within the last two years seem to think that I may be on the milder end of the autistic spectrum, and some doctors had raised the issue with my parents when I was a child.
I am a loner by nature, but I do also retreat when I become overwhelmed.

What should I put on the poll?

In regards to your theory, I wonder if it would actually be the extroverted autistics that would be sooner diagnosed, as it is easier to see one's difficulties with social interaction when one more often attempts to interact socially (many introverts, for example, could probably slip under the radar as being "nerdy" or "shy" in the absence of obvious stims, notable sensory issues, and severe developmental delays, but the kid who monologues about their special interests to any willing participant is more likely to be seen as "something is off with that child," and extraverts, if I understand correctly, are more likely to be sensory-seeking, which would thus cause them to engage in behaviors that would attract attention (such as banging their heads or jumping up and down).

This. I have seen introverted Aspies (mild cases though) and people think they're quiet and weird but on the whole, tolerable. They haven't got real enemies. But I knew this extroverted Aspie girl who was always trying to seek attention on Facebook and everybody was bitching about her. Even the other Aspies (who, by the way, were introverted).

My mum is more extroverted than me and consequently has more friends and people to talk to. However, because she shows her (admittedly unbearable at times) behaviour her new friends keep on getting put off and avoid her. I have far fewer friends to talk to but on the whole, fewer enemies, because I don't make an impression on people.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2014, 11:25 am

I'm an ENTJ, and I call myself a 'loner' because I have no friends outside of school (I live too far from school to see school friends in spare time).
I'd be more outgoing if I lived nearer, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot. :(