Had a second interview but no job offer

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

I recently landed an interview with a tech company I really want to work for. I felt it went well, but I'm always the type to over analyze things, so I still had doubts about my consideration for the position. The following week I received a call from HR inviting me in for a second interview. I was ecstatic!

The second interview was much more casual, and seemed to have a much more relaxed tone. There was even jokes and laughing involved. I was asked about my previous experience, in which I feel I gave them a clear explanation. I was then asked about what my career goals were and I explained that I was interested in becoming an engineer eventually. I then mentioned a professor I've worked with, who unbeknownst to me ended up being a former employee.

I was sure to ask questions at the end of the interview (Do you have any questions about my experience?/What operating systems do you use on office PC's?/What is a typical day in the office like?) I then bluntly asked whether or not I was being considered for the position and was told I was definitely in the running. They said I should expect to hear back next week.

I may be reading too far into it, but when I didn't receive an offer at the end of the interview I was taken aback. I've read that not receiving an offer in the second interview likely means you are out of the running. There was another person who had an interview after me, so maybe they just wanted to interview the other person before making an official offer.

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid or are they just going through the normal process? Personally, I'm going to keep looking just in case!

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2014, 7:28 pm

You should always keep looking for a job until you have an official offer regardless.

There's probably some companies that will offer a job at the interview, but all my experience is that usually there are a few people involved in the decision and or they have seen a few people, so even if they really likely you it is normal to confer at the end of the day and then make offers as depending on the people they see they may even change how many people they are looking to hire if they see a lot of good candidates. So I wouldn't read too much into them saying they will get back to you in the week.

You've got to remember they have to consider people rejecting them as well as most people try to apply to as many jobs as possible. So as long as they think you are capable of the good they won't want to turn you down even if they like someone more as if they take a job elsewhere than the company would want to take the option to go back to you.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 7:34 pm

Where I work, we are not allowed to make job offers.

We are allowed up to 2-4 second interviews, and then we pick the one we want, and send the paperwork to HR and they make the offer.

The most I can do is call you when everything is done and tell you we are moving you forward to HR.