Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm

Do any of you overread people? I noticed that some people I know overread me and others often, and I can tell that they are doing more reading of people than most from them frequently eggsplaining what they meant by what they said like "oh, I didn't mean _____________" or "I meant that _______________", and these people seem more concerned than normal about how other people are interpreting their words, and it seems like they think that other people are assigning as much implied meaning to their words as they are assigning to their words and other people's words, and it seems like most neurotypical people are not assigning that much meaning, and I am assigning much less. Most of them are not as "normal" as other neurotypical people, but they might be what are commonly called "sensitive" types, like highly sensitive person.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 1:31 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Do any of you overread people? I noticed that some people I know overread me and others often, and I can tell that they are doing more reading of people than most from them frequently eggsplaining what they meant by what they said like "oh, I didn't mean _____________" or "I meant that _______________", and these people seem more concerned than normal about how other people are interpreting their words, and it seems like they think that other people are assigning as much implied meaning to their words as they are assigning to their words and other people's words, and it seems like most neurotypical people are not assigning that much meaning, and I am assigning much less. Most of them are not as "normal" as other neurotypical people, but they might be what are commonly called "sensitive" types, like highly sensitive person.

Yep I do something like this, and to be honest I think that's due to been misunderstood/misinterpreted over a lifetime. I also tend to be very verbose especially when I type.

aspergermarried
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2014, 2:36 am

I agree with the first post in the first paragraph. My post will be just speaking for myself, I'm not speaking for the entire Asperger population.

Sometimes I can tell when something is specifically wrong with another person or the environment, even when it is subtle. But, this is mostly true if I have had the same feelings or experiences myself or I've had friends that have taught me what an experience of theirs was. This ability was not there earlier in life but has developed. I do not, however, know what to do with this information once I "receive" it, and I react oddly to many of the things I'm thinking or feeling about other people.

When the thoughts or perceptions have anything to do with me (like noticing something about a spouse or other relative) I sometimes overreact since I just want it to get fixed quickly. I'm very impatient in general and what things to get resolved so I can get on with my topic of interest and not be bothered by other issues.

It is especially confusing when the person has nothing to do with me specifically when I notice something about them: Do I respect that person's space by just going on my own business or show them (what I am laughingly able to give) empathy?...

I think that we Aspies are able to get good at judging certain things. We might also be judgmental in "bad" ways if we are under too much stress or stimulus. I do think that we are more receptive to things out there in the environment (people, air, noise, etc.) and that we are not capable of filtering out which information is important. Our very useful "noticing" of our environment is made useless sometimes if we don't stay centered in a positive way.

Hopefully, one sentence of this blog was clear. It is a complicated subject.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:07 am

double post

Last edited by Stannis on 21 Jan 2014, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:10 am

dianthus wrote:

Sometimes I am well aware that a conversation has taken a wrong turn, and the other person is misinterpreting or twisting around something I said and judging me negatively, but I don't know how to address that or do anything about it. So I just go into total panic mode. Usually I feel like I expressed myself very clearly the first time so I don't know how I could possibly say or do things any differently to get them to understand. This is why a lot of NTs come across to me as dense.

Yes. This only happens to people I don't know well, and when it does, I can sense that any kind of positive interactions in the future are impossible, and I resign myself to the fact that the person is now an enemy. I try to avoid them.

Last edited by Stannis on 21 Jan 2014, 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 6:11 am

I have social deficits and I don't think it is from being overwhelmed with perceiving too much information, although eye contact makes me uncomfortable.
I don't know if I am good or bad at reading social cues. I never paid attention to them or looked for them because I didn't know there was such a thing. I listen to what people say and assume they mean what they say.
I don't initiate social contact, I never consider doing that.
I have learned to be polite and considerate but I don't copy other peoples' behavior to fit in.
I can watch other peoples' social behavior but it would be too unnatural for me to behave that way.
There is a barrier between myself and others. It feels like brain fog.
Maybe it is slow processing speed, as Lorna wing said. Socializing needs to be spontaneous and natural. Maybe it is not having a social imagination.
I think I don't have a social instinct, whatever that is.
It is more natural for me to analyze things from afar then to interact with people.