Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What or who should take care of those who can not take care of themselves?
Families - Out of their own resources. 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Churches - Out of the offerings and tithes they receive. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Businesses - Out of their dividends and profits. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The State - Out of the taxes paid to them. 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Other: ________________ (Please explain). 39%  39%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 28

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm

Here is a recent article from Schizophrenia Bulletin, a widely-cited medical journal with a focus on schizophrenia published by the Oxford University Press, on the need for greater emphasis on Soteria:

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjour ... 1/181.full

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 9:59 pm

wornlight wrote:
are you asking who really is responsible? ...

No. I'm asking ...

I wrote:
What or who should take care of those who can not take care of themselves?

... does repeating the question in its original form make it any clearer, or do you really need to have every word parsed and defined for you?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 10:00 pm

beneficii wrote:
This was a good resource on schizohprenia and gave some information on the disorder and its socioeconomic impacts (emphais added):

Quote:
Sustained recovery occurs in less than 14% within the first five years following a psychotic episode2 . Longer-term outcomes may be marginally better: a large international 25-year follow-up study reported an additional 16% with late-phase recovery3 . Throughout Europe, less than 20% of people with schizophrenia are employed4 . A large US study found nearly 20% homeless in a one-year follow up5 . And a recent report from a patient advocacy group reported that in the US those with serious mental illness were three times more likely to be found in the criminal justice system than in hospitals. (http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org )

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/director/ ... enia.shtml

beneficii wrote:
Here is a recent article from Schizophrenia Bulletin, a widely-cited medical journal with a focus on schizophrenia published by the Oxford University Press, on the need for greater emphasis on Soteria: http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjour ... 1/181.full

But what do YOU think?

Last edited by Fnord on 20 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm

beneficii wrote:
RushKing wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RushKing wrote:
Idealy, the community but since they generally haven't been built yet. The state for now.
By default, or by reason?
The churches would have religious expectations from the individuals. Buisnesses operate within markets and giving too much would hurt its bottom line. The state is a great source of help in this context, becuase its impossible for it to go bankrupt. But the community should trimph becuase, states behave irrationaly and will randomly dicide to pull the rug while you are not looking. We have natural emotions like solidarity that can be revitalized.
It definitely needs to be a collective effort.

Why?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Here is a recent article from Schizophrenia Bulletin, a widely-cited medical journal with a focus on schizophrenia published by the Oxford University Press, on the need for greater emphasis on Soteria: http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjour ... 1/181.full

But what do YOU think?

I already wrote it. It was the long post. In case you missed it, here it is:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5867026.html#5867026

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm

If i must answer the poll question, then all of the above, to the best of their ability, with the exception of businesses.

The private sector and money grabbers can take a run and jump.

My ideal scenario however doesnt apply to the thread question. What ought to happen is that those most able and most qualified to ensure the welfare of the vulnerable are doing so, under a resource based economy where currency systems do not apply.

My deviant art profile

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

Anyone who thinks that the State should take over care of the mentally ill should read this NPR article:

Mentally Ill Are Often Locked Up In Jails That Can't Help.

Laura Sullivan wrote:
It's not the hostile, angry men at the front of the cages, bickering with jail staff and pushing each other for more elbow room ... It's the men in the corners - men who come to jail and manage, despite the noise and commotion, to fall asleep.

Officials acknowledge that what's happening in these wards is reminiscent of the mental asylums of the last century. But they say the only other option is to lock the mentally ill in solitary confinement for weeks on end.

This is, after all, a jail.

But jail is an expensive place to get medication. It costs almost $200 a night to house a mentally ill person here; health clinics cost a fraction of that.

Plus, their cases clog the courts with largely minor offenses. That lengthens jail time for everyone. The average stay is now eight days longer than it was a few years ago. Adding eight days costs county taxpayers $10 million more every year.

Under Communism, the mentally ill were more likely to be executed or -- even worse -- experimented upon.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 11:50 am

I clicked on family.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm

If the family can, then they should.

If the family cannot for financial reasons, then the state (and, if applicable, the former employer of the one requiring care) should give them financial support. Charitable organisations, including religious ones, could give further support.

If the family cannot for other reasons, the state (same proviso) should.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

I don't mean to be racist when I say this but it seems to me that, only white English families (in England), seem to be the ones who expect the state to pick up the tab when it comes to taking responsibility for their families. I am meaning the elderly here.

I might be wrong, I am only talking from my own personal observations. I have never made a tally chart or done a specific study on the matter.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 1:27 pm

I think the state should. This does not mean that disability pensions should be used as a means to mask the unemployment, though; they should be used as a last resort after everything else fails.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Anyone who thinks that the State should take over care of the mentally ill should read this NPR article:

Mentally Ill Are Often Locked Up In Jails That Can't Help.

Laura Sullivan wrote:
It's not the hostile, angry men at the front of the cages, bickering with jail staff and pushing each other for more elbow room ... It's the men in the corners - men who come to jail and manage, despite the noise and commotion, to fall asleep.

Officials acknowledge that what's happening in these wards is reminiscent of the mental asylums of the last century. But they say the only other option is to lock the mentally ill in solitary confinement for weeks on end.

This is, after all, a jail.

But jail is an expensive place to get medication. It costs almost $200 a night to house a mentally ill person here; health clinics cost a fraction of that.

Plus, their cases clog the courts with largely minor offenses. That lengthens jail time for everyone. The average stay is now eight days longer than it was a few years ago. Adding eight days costs county taxpayers $10 million more every year.

Under Communism, the mentally ill were more likely to be executed or -- even worse -- experimented upon.

That's actually a good argument for why the State should take care of the mentally ill. If the State actually had the responsibility to care for them, they would be in appropriate mental health institutions, care homes or assissted living. But instead they are just left to their own devices until they do something that gets them noticed by the police. What could family actually do in cases like this, assuming family even exists and are neither too elderly or mentally ill themselves? A house is not a locked ward and simply being related to somebody does not confer the expertise to know what to do during for example a psychotic break. You could say that the insurance plans of the family should cover hospitalization but many cover it only for a short time. Long term care is beyond the financial means of most people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:42 pm

Unfortunately, there exists a condition in which families may love their mentally ill members and can't afford to care for them; and where the State has no love for the mentally ill, yet can afford to care for them.

So, I propose that there be government funding for family-style group homes where mentally ill people can be cared for in a "family-like" environment ... provided that the NIMBY crowd can be appeased ...

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Unfortunately, there exists a condition in which families may love their mentally ill members and can't afford to care for them; and where the State has no love for the mentally ill, yet can afford to care for them.

So, I propose that there be government funding for family-style group homes where mentally ill people can be cared for in a "family-like" environment ... provided that the NIMBY crowd can be appeased ...

That is a great idea for all conditions which don't require lockdown. My neighborhood actually does have a family-style group home for people with cognitive disabilities and it blends in excellently and allows the residents to be a part of the community.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

Janissy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Unfortunately, there exists a condition in which families may love their mentally ill members and can't afford to care for them; and where the State has no love for the mentally ill, yet can afford to care for them. So, I propose that there be government funding for family-style group homes where mentally ill people can be cared for in a "family-like" environment ... provided that the NIMBY crowd can be appeased ...
That is a great idea for all conditions which don't require lockdown. My neighborhood actually does have a family-style group home for people with cognitive disabilities and it blends in excellently and allows the residents to be a part of the community.

Some of my wife's relatives work in such homes, most of which are for those with Down Syndrome. Similarly impaired individuals also reside at those places. The ones I've visited seemed pleasant enough, and the staff members are both VERY patient and VERY firm with the residents. No one was ever "out of line" during my visits, although there was some hand-flapping (yes, some people with Down Syndrome do it too!).

For the schizophrenics ... I'm not sure how they would be handled in such an environment, but I'm certain that their medication would be mandatory and they would be closely monitored.

But for the truly psychopathic -- the remorseless murderers -- there is only one option, which is prison. Oh, you can dress it up all you like, with nice furniture, video games, artwork, and other comfy-cozy accoutrements, but it will still be a prison with the residents behind locked doors and windows with their every move being monitored.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
Families, Churches, Businesses or the State? Which should be charged with taking care of individuals who can not take care of themselves?

"Families" means parents, siblings, and offspring.

"Churches" also includes any not-for-profit religious institution or "House of Worship".

"Businesses" includes any for-profit corporate entity that is not an individual.

"The State" includes municipal, county, state or federal governments.

Jesus would want churches to take a lot of responsibility if we are to believe what is written in the Bible It was Jesus's great vision that families of the afflicted be supported by the church, and the person who is afflicted healed by the holy spirit. Sadly the Christians spend way too much time persecuting instead of doing what Jesus truly wanted. He wanted to help anyone suffering.

Since Christians these days spend so much time hating, pretty much ignoring the majority of Jesus's message, it is primarily left up to the state and families.