85 peoples as wealthy as 3.5 billions peoples

Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
However, if people here are honest about their morality of wanting to end poverty, and share wealth from wealthy to non-wealthy, then this is good news? More so, it is fair. So, with regards to morality, or an argument to "fairness", then people here are arguing for the obliteration of their own standard of living. Yea!

As I have said previously, the lifting of 500 million Chinese citizens out of poverty since the early 1980s is the single greatest poverty relief in the history of mankind. This feat was achieved through trade liberalization, foreign direct investments and off-shoring = textbook capitalism.

Anyone seriously concerned about the opportunities, well-being and living conditions of the poor ought to be jumping for joy at such a development...

In fact, the following would be fitting gestures:

- Temples should be built to establish worship of Saint Ricardo, Our Savior
- Monuments should be erected in memory of The Holy Prophet, Friedman the Elder (Pecuniary Awards Be Upon Him)
- We should adopt a new calendar which starts on what is today June 5, 1723... the birthday of THE LORD.

... ahem...

However, it would seem that the ever so frequent calls for the rich to show solidarity with the poor have a tendency to restrict the scope of solidarity somewhat arbitrarily to individuals closer to home than the far reaches of China (or India, for that matter).

I wonder why.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

Actually, it was done with Brigade and Commune Enterprises set up in the Mao period... these were the backbone of the Deng Xioaping economy. This idea that some maquiladoras on the Chinese coast solved everything is a myth.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:43 am

xenon13 wrote:
Actually, it was done with Brigade and Commune Enterprises set up in the Mao period... these were the backbone of the Deng Xioaping economy. This idea that some maquiladoras on the Chinese coast solved everything is a myth.

Source?

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:49 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Four major prongs of Western wealth sharing ...

1. Humanitarian aid from Western nations to poverty nations.

2. Immigration of poor people from nations with poverty into the Western countries to share the wealth (many Western nations setup poor people on welfare when they arrive).

3. Capitalism is moving production to lower production cost nations, and this is reducing poverty in those nations (as shown in above graph).

4. Free trade agreements to allow direct competition with foreign nations.

This means Americans/Europeans will have to embrace an ever-lowering standard of living as these forces keep acting to lower their wealth.

However, if people here are honest about their morality of wanting to end poverty, and share wealth from wealthy to non-wealthy, then this is good news? More so, it is fair. So, with regards to morality, or an argument to "fairness", then people here are arguing for the obliteration of their own standard of living. Yea!

I am honored to among such selfless people! :)

Of course .. if this is about trying to greedily keep wealth for oneself - by taking it from wealthier people, and using "poverty" as an excuse for why one wants to do it .. well ... then .. that is just selfishness and phoniness. :wink:

1- Arms trading

2- 2nd or 3rd class citizens, many enslaved. Better than the original country, sometimes, but not good.

3- At the cost of slavery.

4- Countries which enslave a part of their population should not have the right to compete in the free market in equal position.

I have to get out of the house now. I enjoyed the phoniness that preceeded and will enjoy the phoniness that follows,

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Share the wealth"? What's in it for me?
So are you a millionaire or billionaire with massive amounts of money in hedge funds or offshore bank accounts? If not, don't worry about it.
No, I'm just an ordinary middle-aged white male who makes more than 100k$ and less than 1M$ each year. So, what's in it for me if all the billionaires are forced to share their wealth with everyone else?
Why does it need to benefit you as opposed to several billion other people?

If there is no direct and immediate material benefit for me, then I am not interested in participating, and all of you "share the wealth" types will have to make it happen on your own.

It's called motivation, kid; so what's in it for me?

I'll tell you what's in it for you. Same as what is for everyone else. An elevated species and life abroad I mean waaaay abroad. Every single person on this planet would benefit. The universe could belong to all of us. We could rule it as a species. We must motivate ourselves.

Universal domination? How grandiose.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:10 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If there is no direct and immediate material benefit for me, then I am not interested in participating, and all of you "share the wealth" types will have to make it happen on your own.
So you're prepared to benefit from something, but if that benefit is not "direct and immediate" then you want other people to do the work for you?

Certainly!

It's my tax payments that support the Welfare system to benefit people who don't work, so it's only fair that I should benefit from the labors of others who do the work for me.

I mean, sharing of the wealth is what the commies want, isn't it?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

Fnord wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So you're prepared to benefit from something, but if that benefit is not "direct and immediate" then you want other people to do the work for you?

Certainly!

It's my tax payments that support the Welfare system to benefit people who don't work, so it's only fair that I should benefit from the labors of others.

I mean, sharing of the wealth is what the commies want, isn't it?

If an accident or illness was to befall you that meant you couldnt work anymore wouldn't you sleep better with the safety net of a welfare system that ensured you didnt end up high and dry?

You see welfare as a millstone around the necks of the individual. I see it as a collective insurance policy against hardship.

My deviant art profile

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Four major prongs of Western wealth sharing ...

1. Humanitarian aid from Western nations to poverty nations.

2. Immigration of poor people from nations with poverty into the Western countries to share the wealth (many Western nations setup poor people on welfare when they arrive).

3. Capitalism is moving production to lower production cost nations, and this is reducing poverty in those nations (as shown in above graph).

4. Free trade agreements to allow direct competition with foreign nations.

This means Americans/Europeans will have to embrace an ever-lowering standard of living as these forces keep acting to lower their wealth.

I am honored to among such selfless people! :)

Of course .. if this is about trying to greedily keep wealth for oneself - by taking it from wealthier people, and using "poverty" as an excuse for why one wants to do it .. well ... then .. that is just selfishness and phoniness. :wink:

1- Arms trading

2- 2nd or 3rd class citizens, many enslaved. Better than the original country, sometimes, but not good.

4- Countries which enslave a part of their population should not have the right to compete in the free market in equal position.

Apparently, I didn't get the memo.

Exactly where are all these slaves? I am aware of the existence of human trafficking (and Mauritania is a really nasty country), but your post suggests that most of the developing world is effectively equivalent to the antebellum Southern United States.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

GGPViper wrote:
1- Arms trading

Apparently, I didn't get the memo.

Exactly where are all these slaves? I am aware of the existence of human trafficking (and Mauritania is a really nasty country), but your post suggests that most of the developing world is effectively equivalent to the antebellum Southern United States.[/quote]

Were you sleeping when you heard about child labour? Were you sleeping when you heard of people who work 16-20 hours a day in chinese/indian/bangladeshian/indonesian factories without the right to go to the bathroom, to the point of, sometimes, urinating and defecating themselves?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
Were you sleeping when you heard about child labour? Were you sleeping when you heard of people who work 16-20 hours a day in chinese/indian/bangladeshian/indonesian factories without the right to go to the bathroom, to the point of, sometimes, urinating and defecating themselves?

Nope. Wide awake. But ask yourself how all of these people were doing before the evil capitalists of evil came in with their evil capital of evil. In case you missed it, please let me repost a graph from earlier in this thread:

Another look demonstrating the increase in living standards in China.

And funny you should mention both (1) Bangladesh and (2) child labour in the same post, BTW. Here is an interesting story that I previously shared with WP:

GGPViper wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labour#Eliminating_child_labour

I like this particular section:

"For example, a UNICEF study found that after the Child Labour Deterrence Act was introduced in the US, an estimated 50,000 children were dismissed from their garment industry jobs in Bangladesh, leaving many to resort to jobs such as "stone-crushing, street hustling, and prostitution", jobs that are "more hazardous and exploitative than garment production". The study suggests that boycotts are "blunt instruments with long-term consequences, that can actually harm rather than help the children involved."

Original source (see page 60):
http://www.unicef.org/sowc97/report/

So it would seem that looking at the actual facts about economic development may better serve the needs of the poor and disadvantaged than the standard displays of (feigned) moral outrage.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:28 pm

GGPViper wrote:
ModusPonens wrote:

Nope. Wide awake. But ask yourself how all of these people were doing before the evil capitalists of evil came in with their evil capital of evil. In case you missed it, please let me repost a graph from earlier in this thread:

Another look demonstrating the increase in living standards in China.

And funny you should mention both (1) Bangladesh and (2) child labour in the same post, BTW. Here is an interesting story that I previously shared with WP:

GGPViper wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_labour#Eliminating_child_labour

I like this particular section:

"For example, a UNICEF study found that after the Child Labour Deterrence Act was introduced in the US, an estimated 50,000 children were dismissed from their garment industry jobs in Bangladesh, leaving many to resort to jobs such as "stone-crushing, street hustling, and prostitution", jobs that are "more hazardous and exploitative than garment production". The study suggests that boycotts are "blunt instruments with long-term consequences, that can actually harm rather than help the children involved."

Original source (see page 60):
http://www.unicef.org/sowc97/report/

So it would seem that looking at the actual facts about economic development may better serve the needs of the poor and disadvantaged than the standard displays of (feigned) moral outrage.

This is usualy where I give up on discussions: when I realize I'm debating with (insert the appropriate, but truthful insult here) people.

Can you say, with a straight face, that there are only 5.4% of poor people in the world? I'm going back to my previous point and which is actualy the only thing I can say that can do any good: you guys are phonies. If you think that there are 5.4% of poor people in the world, you're not worth any discussion, let alone an intelligent one. You think that, because you are aspies, you are all like Spock. What I've seen here is honey booboos.

And I know the responses that follow by heart. "You insult people because you don't have arguments.", "That's ad hominem.", etc. Be my guest. I have better things to do than trying to convince people that 5x5=25. It is what it is...

But I wouldn't like to say goodbye without saying: taxing the rich? That crap is horrible! Chemically castrating women for consecutive periods of 5 years, in exchange for them to have education, health and underage prostitution? Sure, that seems about right.

*Walks off the Twillight Zone*

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
This is usually where I give up on discussions: when I realize I'm debating with (insert the appropriate, but truthful insult here) people.

Can you say, with a straight face, that there are only 5.4% of poor people in the world? I'm going back to my previous point and which is actualy the only thing I can say that can do any good: you guys are phonies. If you think that there are 5.4% of poor people in the world, you're not worth any discussion, let alone an intelligent one. You think that, because you are aspies, you are all like Spock. What I've seen here is honey booboos.

The poverty rate used in the graph is the one defined by The World Bank of being $1/day or less in 1987 dollars. This is used as a benchmark in the Millenium Development Goals (now revised to $1.25).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium ... and_hunger

If you believe that the data presented (see the link below) is inaccurate, please elaborate on such inaccuracies.

However, even if one were to choose higher thresholds ($2, $3 or $5, for instance) the same time period would still yield a substantial decrease in poverty over time, again highly influenced by the massive alleviation of poverty in China due to the liberalisation of its economy.

See page 54 here: http://www.nber.org/papers/w15433.pdf

More importantly, the decline in poverty has the greatest impact on life quality for the lower income thresholds, as this is more likely to represent individuals who are no longer at risk of starvation. Being poor is one thing; starving to death is another. And this is why I am not exaggerating when I am calling this development the "single greatest poverty relief in the history of mankind."

If you want to denigrate the internationally recognized poverty threshold for being too low, then be my guest.

But assuming that you actually care about the poor, wouldn't it be prudent to prioritize improving the living standards of the poorest of the poor?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
Fnord wrote:
"Share the wealth"? What's in it for me?
So are you a millionaire or billionaire with massive amounts of money in hedge funds or offshore bank accounts? If not, don't worry about it.
No, I'm just an ordinary middle-aged white male who makes more than 100k$ and less than 1M$ each year. So, what's in it for me if all the billionaires are forced to share their wealth with everyone else?
Why does it need to benefit you as opposed to several billion other people?

It's called motivation, kid; so what's in it for me?

I'll tell you what's in it for you. Same as what is for everyone else. An elevated species and life abroad I mean waaaay abroad. Every single person on this planet would benefit. The universe could belong to all of us. We could rule it as a species. We must motivate ourselves.

Universal domination? How grandiose.

Do you think anyone would really care? Anything that's out there is so far away...they are out there doing their own thing, if they have figured out how to successfully live in places different from where they evolved. They most likely exist for millions of years never seeing any other complex life form. They just exist out there in the void without anyone to bother them. No one hassles them. They are free within the laws of physics, that is unless they figured out how to exist in a worm hole. Then they might be in a twilight zone.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 6:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-aSa7OLz0[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm

Would you guys be glad if the 85 were as poor as the poorest 3.5 billion. That would equalized the misery.

If the wealth of the 85 were divided up among the poorest 3.5 billion the 3.5 billion would hardly notice the difference.

ruveyn

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 10:26 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Would you guys be glad if the 85 were as poor as the poorest 3.5 billion. That would equalized the misery.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpcFHtxm60[/youtube]

ruveyn wrote:
If the wealth of the 85 were divided up among the poorest 3.5 billion the 3.5 billion would hardly notice the difference.
ruveyn

I think that we would notice a doubling of our wealth.