How to go about finding a place to live where I am not alone

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

That is the question.

My lease expires in less than two months from now. I have decided not to renew it, and to move out by the end of March.

I have hated living alone for the last four to five years. It has been profoundly detrimental to my well-being.

I have decided not to tell anybody in my family about these plans until the plans are concrete and I actually am in the process of relocating. The last three years, I started looking for places to live when it came time to renew my lease, and every time my family emotionally abused me until I agreed to stay exactly where I am. I am not going to let that happen this time.

My credit is completely down the drains, and I do plan on completing my bankruptcy filing by the end of the year. That will cut out a lot of potential options.

I have been asking around my 12-step friends, and I have been looking at listings where people have rooms for rent. I don't need to live with friends. Just knowing that people are around is enough for me, even if they are a couple of rooms away.

I have been severely deprived of contact with others for many years of my life, and I want to break that cycle.

So, the question is..... How do I do this smartly?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2014, 10:50 pm

There are options.

You can get a roommate or become someone's roommate.

There are houses with rooms for rent. You'll be saving money but you'll have bathroom and kitchen chores.

The bad thing is you may also end up in a beer-swilling house that can trigger your addictions.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:27 pm

Sometimes there are listings which state "no drinking", or "no smoking", etc. You could scan the papers and websites for those. I rented a room from an older couple once, they wanted a quiet non-smoker/non-drinker, and it was quite a nice little house. I was a student at the time and mostly studied and worked out.