Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

It's been a while since I last posted here :P

Anyways, I'm in the very early stages of writing a book on autism and the war within the autism community (ASAN and most of us here at WP vs Autism Speaks, the "cure autism" individuals vs "autistics don't need to be cured but accepted"), autism and public policy, pretty much an autism political potpourri.

Speaking of politics, I'm seriously considering one of these years running for the New York State Assembly, or even town government. I have a strong belief that people on the autism spectrum/people with Asperger's would make good elected officials. We're concerned with getting the job done and putting logic first, at least most of us. And I'm ready to prove that. I'm also convinced that if more people with Asperger's were in public office, the world would be a better place. (Feel free to disagree with me). Could the problem lie within that we take things personally? I know I do.

Thoughts? Ideas for the book and/or this political career I'm aspiring to?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:48 pm

Government-wise it's usually considered that those who would be best for the job are those who wouldn't want the job.
So you're probably right, who wants to be a smiley-faced hand-grabbing inanephone?

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 12:33 am

1401b wrote:
Government-wise it's usually considered that those who would be best for the job are those who wouldn't want the job.
So you're probably right, who wants to be a smiley-faced hand-grabbing inanephone?

Exactly! And I have a bonus: I'm a stealth Aspie. I've had conversations with people, or have gotten to know someone for a while before spilling the beans that yes, I'm on the spectrum, only to have that person be surprised as anything. (Being borderline on the spectrum has not translated into too many romantic relationships, sadly). The only reason I would want it is because I'd rather work another job, like be a urban planner, or be an airline executive (can't do that because I'm very loyal to Amtrak). My point is this: "You wake up every morning at 6:30 and you call the governor’s house. If he answers, you can go back to sleep."-David Paterson

And we all know what happened back in 2008...

In essence, I'm willing to do unpopular jobs because I would find ways to make them satisfying without doing anything illegal. I'm not going into public office for the money, because if you're doing it for that reason, there's a lot better ways to get rich. Public office is not one of them. It would more worth you while to go into finance or the sciences. I'm willing to take a vow of poverty.

As I've written on another post, I plan to one day run for local office, the New York State Assembly (a legislative body that has a grandmother of a kid with Asperger's) and several advocates (albeit minor)) and my political goal, Lieutenant Governor of New York. Robert Duffy, the current title holder is as plain a guy you can get: a former cop, paid his dues and is now the sixth most powerful politician in New York (or even lower by some standards, as the state legislative leaders are really powerful, not to mention our US Senators). I've had daydreams of having a girlfriend introduce me at the 2016 Democratic National Convention and me give a five minute speech on individuals with disabilities and politics and why I support the Democrats (because they include everyone and leave no one out).

I have a desire to help people, and that's why I really want to go into politics. And I'm sincere about it. I have plans and hopes and dreams, and I want to fulfill them.

My political ambitions stop short of the White House or the US Capitol.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
As I've written on another post, I plan to one day run for local office, the New York State Assembly (a legislative body that has a grandmother of a kid with Asperger's) and several advocates (albeit minor)) and my political goal, Lieutenant Governor of New York. Robert Duffy, the current title holder is as plain a guy you can get: a former cop, paid his dues and is now the sixth most powerful politician in New York (or even lower by some standards, as the state legislative leaders are really powerful, not to mention our US Senators). I've had daydreams of having a girlfriend introduce me at the 2016 Democratic National Convention and me give a five minute speech on individuals with disabilities and politics and why I support the Democrats (because they include everyone and leave no one out).

I have a desire to help people, and that's why I really want to go into politics. And I'm sincere about it. I have plans and hopes and dreams, and I want to fulfill them.

Good for you. :) I myself think that aspies whom are politically inclined should seriously consider seeking public office. Only I doubt that someone with my particular political views would get me very far in American politics, given that I'd likely be thought of as being too extreme, if I'm honest, and open about my ideology. I might someday run for office at a local level though, as both Rick Nagin, and Kshama Sawant did. They both have views similar to my own. 8)

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm

Touretter wrote:
Northeastern292 wrote:

Good for you. :) I myself think that aspies whom are politically inclined should seriously consider seeking public office. Only I doubt that someone with my particular political views would get me very far in American politics, given that I'd likely be thought of as being too extreme, if I'm honest, and open about my ideology. I might someday run for office at a local level though, as both Rick Nagin, and Kshama Sawant did. They both have views similar to my own. 8)

My views are nearly identical to Bernie Sanders, although I might swing a smidge more conservative in some areas (although early in his career he voted with the GOP on gun control, despite being the most liberal person in DC!)