Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm

Hi, here are some links:

Mass. Gen. & Harvard (of course might still be wrong!)
https://mghocd.org/ocd_pandas/

International OCD Foundation
http://www.ocfoundation.org/uploadedfil ... 0sheet.pdf

And here's a post I made where I took quotes from a book in which a mother talked about getting help for her son:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp5805341.html

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm

Now, so far they've only looked at potential cases of PANDAS in children and teenagers.  But with rheumatic fever itself, even though most cases do occur in children 5 - 15, some new cases occur in adults as well as recurrent cases.*

Quote:
http://texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/rheufev.cfm

"Fewer than 0.3% of people who have strep throat also get rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever is most common among children aged 5 to 15, but adults may have the condition as well."

Quote:
Harrison's Principles Of Internal Medicine, 2001:

"During the Second World War, there were more than 20,000 cases of acute rheumatic fever in U.S. Navy personnel alone."

* I am backing off from any particular percentage.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 27 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:25 am

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
Raziel wrote:
Why would it be associated with drug addiction, I've never heard that before? 8O
I have an incling that often than not, heavy heroin addicts that are suffering from withdrawal symptoms suffer from shivering or feeling cold. This sensation can manifest itself in any number of ticks, including that of verbal anomalies.

It is true that a number of people could develop Tourette's from a heavy drug addiction as the drugs damage nerve endings. Otherwise proof of this is rather sparse, I honestly don't know why there is a view with people who suffer from ticking disorders are grouped with heavy and recovering drug addicts. :?

I've never heard that before and by googleing it real quick, I didn't really find anything to it.
Actually there is a way bigger connection between drug addiction and the psychiatric disorder like schizophrenia, Bipolar disorder or BPD. In the case of schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder those aren't quite understood, this is especially true for schizophrenia. But even in those cases who develope a psychosis under certain drugs, there is usually already a genetic risk for schizophenia.

The only sientific studies I found with "Tourette" and "drug addiction" describing cases of ppl with Tourette, who developed it in childhood, and used drugs as a coping mechanism as adults. I found not one study who mentioned it the other way around. The only studiy I found in that direction was a case report of a woman who developed Tourettes as a child, started using heroine as adult and her tics increased. But even in that case she already had Tourette.

Tic-like symptoms can have many reasons, but they aren't Tourette. I've a spasm, but it feels totally different than a tic. ppl who have Tourettes usually can distingish other movement disorders and tic like symptoms from Tourette. It just feels different and also "shivering" is not a sign of Tourettes.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:25 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Mass. Gen. & Harvard (of course might still be wrong!)
https://mghocd.org/ocd_pandas/

Thanks for the links :)

Here from that link I quoted:

Signs of PANDAS:
Quote:
Sudden onset of OCD
Challenges with eating, and at the extreme end, anorexia

I don't have those and the obsessions I have, I already had as a very small child.
Quote:
Sensory issues such as sensitivity to clothes, sound, and light
Handwriting noticeably deteriorates

I already had both as a small child.
Quote:
Urinary frequency or bedwetting

I never did that
Quote:
Small motor skills deteriorate – a craft project from yesterday is now impossible to complete

I already had bad motor skills being very llittle.
Quote:
Tics

I don't remember when and how they started (I remember having some tics around 8 or 9), but they increased and developed slowly over some years how it is typical for Tourette. Also the other symptoms I have, who are menationed here, I already had since being very little. The only thing that could point in the PANDAS direction is the fact that my tics come and go. But this cold be also due to stress what can increase tics. Also I'm in puberty at the moment (I'm Transgender and started with Testosterone about 3 years ago what causes a second puberty.) Tic symptoms usually increase in puberty and could also cause some up and downs in symptoms.
Quote:
Inattentive, distractible, unable to focus and has difficulties with memory

I already had this since being very little
Quote:
Overnight onset of anxiety or panic attacks over things that were no big deal a few days ago, such as thunderstorms or bugs.
Suddenly unable to separate from their caregiver, or to sleep alone
Screaming for hours on end
Fear of germs and other more traditional-looking OCD symptoms

I don't have those. I developed some anxiety attacs as an adult, but they are clearly associated with a trauma.

I don't really think it'S PANDAS, because, exept for the Tics, I already had all my symptoms since being very little. But I admit that there is a certain possibility.

Last edited by Raziel on 27 Jan 2014, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Okay, so PANDAS sounds like pretty much of a long shot. Maybe worth broaching the subject with your doctor to get a blood test for antibodies to strep in order to establish some kind of baseline, but maybe not even worth that.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

And, Congratulations on your transitioning process.  I'm all in favor of people living their authentic lives.  And I think transgendered persons should of course have the same rights as everyone else.  :D

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

Okay, so PANDAS sounds like pretty much of a long shot. Maybe worth broaching the subject with your doctor to get a blood test for antibodies to strep in order to establish some kind of baseline, but maybe not even worth that.

Most antibiotics make Polymorphous light eruption worse, what I have and to peneciline I'm allergic to. So I don't even know wich antibiotic I tolerate and I've never taken any antibiotic longer than a few days and that was in the last 15 years maybe once or twice.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

Okay, that might make it slightly more likely that it's PANDAS, just in that you haven't had a recent course of antibiotics.

And if you got, for example, something like bronchitis with possible pneumonia, could they give you an antibiotic and treat the Polymorphous light eruption? I don't really know what this is. If you wish to share, I'd be interested.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm

Raziel wrote:
I've copropraxia, actually it's just one tic. It means that I've a motor tic that's an insult. (Mainly just in my country). That's one of the reasons I'm afraid to tic in front of others and also I had always problems with that, the tics just don't wanna come, so they just come very slight, like a slight movement of my arm or something that just helps for a minute or to.

I have the exact same issue. It's because of copropraxia that I petrified of ticcing in front of people. I thought I was the only one with it. :cry: I've had it since I was 9 and I've been looking to get rid of it since.

Sometimes, if I'm using a computer or I'm intently focused on something else, I can't get a tic out. I want to, because it hurts until I do, but I can't for some few minutes afterwards. I don't what it is, but Tourettes is weird so I deal with it, :D

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 3:34 am

And if you got, for example, something like bronchitis with possible pneumonia, could they give you an antibiotic and treat the Polymorphous light eruption?

Most antibiotics make PLE worse. PLE is a form of sensitivity to light - sunlight.
I've the same problem with SSRIs. The last time I took SSRIs, I couldn't leave the house anymore during daytime because my light sensitivity was so worse and I couldn't even sit next to a window without getting symptoms of PLE. My skin looked terrible at that time and the doctors didn't know if it's gonna get better or not (it did, but I still have symptoms, but I can live with them). Because the problem is that SSRIs or antibiotics (or other stuff) can push PLE, but it doesn't cause it. That means that there is no guarantee that my PLE gets better after stopping the meds.

If I would need antibiotics, the best thing is to be very carefull and that I've to stay in the house for that time I take them, that my PLE doesn't get worse. But there is still a risk, so the last time I took it was after my surgery a year ago and I stayed in the house for the time I took it with curtains in front of the windows.

Actually in Germany the old Bundeskanzler (it's equal to President) Helmut Kohl, his wife had PLE. She got it after taking antibiotics several years ago and she got it so worse that she couldn't leave the house anymore by sunshine and had to darken the windows. She got depression because of that, but it wasn't really possible to treat her with SSRIs because of her PLE and after several years she commited suicide. So PLE is a serious issue, if someone isn't carefull enough or has a severe form of it.

Last edited by Raziel on 29 Jan 2014, 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 3:38 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I have the exact same issue. It's because of copropraxia that I petrified of ticcing in front of people. I thought I was the only one with it. :cry: I've had it since I was 9 and I've been looking to get rid of it since.

Sometimes, if I'm using a computer or I'm intently focused on something else, I can't get a tic out. I want to, because it hurts until I do, but I can't for some few minutes afterwards. I don't what it is, but Tourettes is weird so I deal with it, :D

Yes, Tourettes is very weird.
I know how my Tourette "behaves", but even I can't explain it. Sometimes I "want" to tic, because I have the strong feeling that I need to and on other occations I just can't. I've two complew tics and both involve my right arm. My right side of my body always ticed more than my left side. I'm left handed actually.

I don't have copropraxia though. I sometimes felt like it that I "have to" say something bad, but I never did and this feeling wasn't very often. I don't have any complex vocal tics, just: making a sniffing sound like the one when someone has a cold, to clear my throat and to meow.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

I've had to sniff and meow too. I also have to quack like a duck or squeak like a mouse. I also don't swear, out of fear of coprolalia. :(

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 12:09 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
I've had to sniff and meow too. I also have to quack like a duck or squeak like a mouse. I also don't swear, out of fear of coprolalia. :(

Some tics seem to be a lot more common than others. I dunno why this is. Actually copropraxia is even rarer than coprolalia. But personally I think coprolalia is worse, but noone decides what tics they might get. :?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 3:56 pm

Okay, I see how PLE is quite serious indeed.

In some Eastern European countries, they use 'phages' (bacteriophages). You see, viruses are very specific in the type of cell they will attack, and a bacteriophage is simply a virus which attacks a particular type of bacteria. In theory, it's pretty good. But as always little glitchy things. For example, instead of a broad spectrum antibiotic, they might use a cocktail of several different phages. And I've read that since a bacteriophage is a foreign substance, even though it's not harmful to the body, your body might still develop an immune response. So, after the first time, if you try and use the same phage again, it may never get to the bacteria you're trying to target.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm

Raziel wrote:
I sometimes felt like it that I "have to" say something bad, but I never did and this feeling wasn't very often.

I have gotten this feeling on several occasions, but it usually faded... I wonder if this makes the other tics relevant to the ones you already have.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 12:43 am

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Raziel wrote:
I sometimes felt like it that I "have to" say something bad, but I never did and this feeling wasn't very often.

I have gotten this feeling on several occasions, but it usually faded... I wonder if this makes the other tics relevant to the ones you already have.

I just read somewere that it's more likely to have Coprolalia or Copropraxia, the more comorbidities you have. Many comorbidities means, that it's more likly to have a Coprophenomena.