Presentation in front of class (Please Read)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

Hello everyone, how do you deal with the intense anxiety of speaking infront of a whole damn class? I have a presentation tomorrow and I'd need a lot of help or else I'll probably die of a heart attack (not literaly, or maybe).

PLEASE HELP

Note: Also I'm not fully ready about the topic I'm going to talk about because I couldn't work with my anxiety, that might be the end of me...

Sincerely, Quantum

Winner
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2014, 4:53 pm

I've had to do quite a bit of this sort of thing.

Here are some tips for you:

1. People want you to do your speech well, they would rather enjoy your performance than not. So don't worry that people are thinking bad things. They just want to have a good time.

2. Make eye contact with people as much as you can. Look around the class while speaking.

3. Don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol before the performance and don't take any prescription drugs. Don't even drink water or eat up to an hour or two before you're doing the speech. All of these things will just make you feel sick and/or overconfident and then blow it.

4. Make sure you practice your speech a few times in front of the mirror.

5. Be honest with yourself. What you are going to do will make you very nervous. Everyone gets nervous doing public speaking. Don't be in denial. The best way to deal with the situation is to keep telling yourself "I will be nervous" but also that "I can get through it, I have the ability to fight through my nervousness".

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2014, 5:41 pm

I second all of Winner's advice except for practicing in front of a mirror. I found that to be super distracting. Instead, try practicing in front of an animal if possible. If you have a dog, that is ideal. Dogs are attentive and non-judgemental. But other animals will work too. They just won't be as attentive as a dog.

If no animals, try giving it to toys; action figures, dolls, stuffed animals. They are to simulate an audience.

Bernana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2014, 10:58 am

People don't really give damn if you mess up or not
that always helps me

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 11:06 am

I used to use props so people couldn't see my hands shaking Ie podium to hold on to, little pointy stick if showing charts on the board etc.. And cards with notes on in case i forgot anything.

You wont have a heart attack.

I also used to ask to be allowed to go first so #i could get it out of the way.

You get used to it eventually