Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:15 am

I have a pet theory, we each have a individuated unit of consciousness. That unit of consciousness is the center of a universe. all of our individuated units of consciousness "blend" together within a multiverse. I'm still struggling to find the language to describe the dynamics of this blending of universes. But as other universes come into proximity with another universe, they distort, or change to resolve differences between the two universes in proximity with each other.

This diverges from the standard idea of a multiverse where a new universe is created when a split in the timeline happens, a "decision" point. My theory is based on the idea that each universe is tied to an individuated unit of consciousness, and the changes we see in each of our own universes are the effects of other universes "bumping" up against ours. We can never truly enter other universes, as we can never truly experience what others are experiencing.

Your thoughts on a multiverse? Critique of my fuzzy presentation of my theory, or your own theory?

Diagnosed in 2005

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:17 am

Show the maths.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

Fnord wrote:
Show the maths.

No, I don't have mathematical equations to satisfy your rigid, left brained view on the world.
This is a loose theory, an experiment in thought. If you are too closed minded, as to not explore new ideas that have not been rigorously proven by hard mainstream, academic, science, then please stand aside and go live in your fixed, mechanical, tiny, universe.

You may see this as fiction, but to me all fiction is real. I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate my view on things, we have nothing to share with one another. go away.

Diagnosed in 2005

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 11:26 am

Are you proposing an idea along the following....

We create our own universe insofar as it does not affect the creation of other universes around us.

I create my universe, you create your universe, everyone makes their own, but our influence is limited by how it would infringe on another's...hence the sphere of influence only extends to unaffected "areas" and not common areas.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

pete1061 wrote:

Your thoughts on a multiverse? Critique of my fuzzy presentation of my theory, or your own theory?

I presume you are thinking of the multiverse in terms of being an answer to the wavefunction collapse ?

as shown in here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Is the basis of your multiverse theory also an answer to the wavefunction collapse, or do you have another rationale ?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Show the maths.

No, I don't have mathematical equations to satisfy your rigid, left brained view on the world.
This is a loose theory, an experiment in thought. If you are too closed minded, as to not explore new ideas that have not been rigorously proven by hard mainstream, academic, science, then please stand aside and go live in your fixed, mechanical, tiny, universe.

You may see this as fiction, but to me all fiction is real. I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate my view on things, we have nothing to share with one another. go away.

To me, "all fiction is real" is a meaningless sentence.

You are using terms that I know, but in a way that suggests you have redefined them with meanings known only to you.

What is an "individuated unit of consciousness?"
Please explain your understanding of both individuated and consciousness.

What do you mean by "that unit of consciousness is the center of a universe." Center? In what sense? Universe? you mean like the space-time thing we exist in, billions of galaxies? In what way does the universe have a center? This is a different idea of center than I know.

" I'm still struggling to find the language to describe the dynamics of this blending of universes."

I don't think your language communicates anything.

I will have to be agnostic about your idea. I see no reason to believe it's true. I don't think you have one either. If I'm wrong and you can provide meaningful explanations for any of what you wrote here, this will be extremely interesting.

Winner
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2014, 12:13 pm

[Lazarus being resurrected by Jesus may have been one of the earliest theories of a multiverse. How could that happen if the universe's laws were stable?

If however another universe collided, could that have permitted Jesus the magical power to raise the dead?]

Last edited by Winner on 24 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 12:27 pm

The universe was originally "everything". Our present day understanding of physics do not require more universes to explain anything, and we currently have no evidence of there being such a thing as a "multiverse". Having said that, we shouldn't instantly write if of either; I do not beleive in multiple universes, but I'm not going to blatantly claim that we're not part of a so-called multiverse either.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

If we are interested in the science/math aspects of multiverses, Max Tegmark is a good place to start: http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/crazy.html

If we are thinking about the philosophical aspects... well, that's another forum!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

Adamantium wrote:
... I will have to be agnostic about your idea. I see no reason to believe it's true ...

Ditto.

Mathematical proofs would go a long way toward convincing me of anyone's concept of a "multiverse". An actual, physical "doorway" in to and out of an alternate universe would clinch it.

Adamantium wrote:
If we are interested in the science/math aspects of multiverses, Max Tegmark is a good place to start: http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/crazy.html

Thanks. That may help.

Adamantium wrote:
If we are thinking about the philosophical aspects... well, that's another forum!

PP&R, no doubt ... although belief without proof is more of a religious state of mind than a philosophic one.

Besides, I think this website needs a "Fantasy/Science-Fiction" forum for speculative topics ...

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 4:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
... I will have to be agnostic about your idea. I see no reason to believe it's true ...

Ditto.

Mathematical proofs would go a long way toward convincing me of anyone's concept of a "multiverse". An actual, physical "doorway" in to and out of an alternate universe would clinch it.

If these two universes could interact with each other in any way, what exactly would make them two distinct universes?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
Show the maths.

You may find this relevant ... (from the earlier link)

Quoted: "The key question is not whether the multiverse
exists but rather how many levels it has".

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/PDF/m ... _sciam.pdf

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 6:03 pm

The phrase "... direct implication of cosmological observations ..." does not mean "... cold, hard fact ...".

Ideas that are not testable remain only ideas. "Everything that is possible has become real" is only an idea.

Hypotheses are testable, but haven't been tested yet. "There may be liquid water under the surface of Mars" is testable.

Theories are shown to be testable, and have been tested. "There may be evidence of surface water on Mars" has been tested and found to be valid.

Facts have been tested, and shown to be valid. "There is water in Earth's oceans" is a generally-accepted fact.

No known person has observed a parallel universe. This makes the idea of a "multiverse" an hypothesis, at best.

May I recommend Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series, or Stephen King's "Dark Tower"?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Jan 2014, 6:09 pm

Yes Fnord, thank you - we get the idea.
Please leave the OP to explore his thought experiment in his own way.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 6:37 am

We will never know if there are multiple universes, so why speculate about it?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:30 am

Kurgan wrote:
We will never know if there are multiple universes, so why speculate about it?

What is your theory on the collapse of the wavefunction per the double slit experiment ?

Quoted: "A hypothesis (plural hypotheses) is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon. For a hypothesis to be a scientific hypothesis, the scientific method requires that one can test it".

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothesis )

Multiverse is at least a hypothesis to explain it.