Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

Hey guys,

Here's the deal. I'm moving to Florida in March to enroll in the College Living Experience program they have in Davie, South Florida.

It is a program for "students with learning differences" as quote from the website. This is a program for those with Autism, ASD, PDD-NOS, and many other neurological differences.

Well, the reason I am posting is I was wondering if there was any one else out there in the deep crevices of WP that is either attending this program or lives in the area, or even just in the state of Florida that would be interested in chatting. I would like to get to know some people before I make this cross country journey to a new state in roughly 6 weeks.

I won't know anyone when I get there, yes I will meet people, but I would also like to meet some people before I go.. Well at least try to.

Anyway, yeah.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2014, 8:28 pm

Congratulations!

Depending on where in the state you go, might be a good idea to prepare for heat, humidity, and afternoon rain. I once did a summer program at FSU... a very warm experience. We all quickly learned never to go any place without an umbrella, Brief but heavy afternoon thunderstorms were the norm.

alicat1991
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2014, 3:43 pm

Hey! I am attending College Living Experience here in Davie, FL and I just saw your post. I have been here since about August and I am really enjoying myself. All of the staff members and students who attend CLE are very nice and out going. You will not have any trouble making friends and finding things to do. I look forward to meeting you in March! You will have a blast here!

-See ya later :)

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

alicat1991 wrote:
Hey! I am attending College Living Experience here in Davie, FL and I just saw your post. I have been here since about August and I am really enjoying myself. All of the staff members and students who attend CLE are very nice and out going. You will not have any trouble making friends and finding things to do. I look forward to meeting you in March! You will have a blast here!

Autistic students there are very outgoing and easily make friends?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm

alicat1991 wrote:

Hey I just saw your response, sorry it was so late, it's hard to keep track of posts in the general forum.

Thank you for the response and I look forward to meeting you in March.

(I am going to PM you too if that's all right.)

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:04 am

Wish we could go to the CLE together, but I know that's not possible at this point...

All I can really do is wish you the best of luck! :)

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

FluttercordAspie93 wrote:
Wish we could go to the CLE together, but I know that's not possible at this point...

Thanks!

I wish you could go too, but I think even if you did wind up going to the program, your parents would probably send you to the one in Austin, TX.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 8:32 pm

I don't live in Florida, but I want to wish you well on your journey.

headhunter228
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

This program sounds a lot like the Autism Support Program that the University of Arkansas started a couple years ago. I was one of the first students in the program, and it is still relatively small (only eight students, counting myself), but it is growing steadily.

I'm curious, though. Do you know how many people are in your program?

-Count Threpe, The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 11:32 pm

Marky9 wrote:
Congratulations!

Depending on where in the state you go, might be a good idea to prepare for heat, humidity, and afternoon rain. I once did a summer program at FSU... a very warm experience. We all quickly learned never to go any place without an umbrella, Brief but heavy afternoon thunderstorms were the norm.

Thank you, Marky9. That's interesting about the weather. I have a friend that goes to FSU. I think it's far up the panhandle where the weather differs significantly compared to farther south near the coast.

Sethno wrote:
alicat1991 wrote:

Autistic students there are very outgoing and easily make friends?

Not all of the students in the program are on the autism spectrum. Also I think many people tend to come out of their shell and be more outgoing when they're around people they feel safe with, and when they said making friends, I think what they meant is students within the CLE program becoming friends with each other, not just easily making friends in general.

em_tsuj wrote:
I don't live in Florida, but I want to wish you well on your journey.

Thank you em_tsuj! I'll probably be there for the next 4-6 years, depending on how long it takes me to get my degree(s) and even longer if I wind up going to grad there too.

headhunter228 wrote:
This program sounds a lot like the Autism Support Program that the University of Arkansas started a couple years ago. I was one of the first students in the program, and it is still relatively small (only eight students, counting myself), but it is growing steadily.

I'm curious, though. Do you know how many people are in your program?

It depends on the location of the program.
The CLE has 2 locations in California, 1 in Texas, 1 in Colorado, 1 in Washington D.C., 1 in Florida, and.. There may be another place but I can't remember, I think that's it.

I was told by the CLE staff that the Colorado and Texas sites are their largest programs with the average being about 50 students.

The Florida program I can't quite remember, but it's something between 30-40 students, I believe.

BLK95TA
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2014, 11:00 am

I lived in pompano beach back in 2003-2005 which is a suburb of ft. Lauderdale just like davie. I actually used to frequent a car cruise night in davie on friday nights. I got a bit tired of the big city lifestyle that exists rown there. I have heard people refer to ft. lauderdale/miami as the new york city of florida. I now live over on the west coast near ft. Myers where it is much more laid back.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:38 am

MadeUnderground wrote:

Thanks!

I wish you could go too, but I think even if you did wind up going to the program, your parents would probably send you to the one in Austin, TX.

Yeah, you might be right about that.

Heh...

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 2:40 am

MadeUnderground wrote:

Thanks!

Yeah, you might be right about that.

Heh...

Wells you never know!

Anybody else??