Human behaviour on internet forums

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 997
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm

When I first joined this forum my intentions where to emphasize the positive aspects of having aspergers. Since I am one of the older members her I thought that would be a constructive idea.

After a (very) short while all these good intentions faded away and I mainly started to use this forum to unload. I am not hiding behind my anonimity because everything I mentioned on this forum is close to the truth and if anyone would ask me to repeat what I have stated here in a real life conversation I would voice the exact same opinions. Tactfullness is a human quality I never fully understood.

Is there anyone here who has experienced the same or am I the only one?



MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,922

24 Jan 2014, 9:08 pm

Agreed. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It's refreshing to be able to express myself more succinctly here, because I seem to need a translator half the time IRL. I wouldn't be hard to recognize if someone knew me in person, though.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,869
Location: Stendec

24 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm

pokerface wrote:
... Is there anyone here who has experienced the same or am I the only one?

Tact?

I prefer raw honesty within the context of reality over the insincere manners of those who believe they live in a magical realm.

People who want consensus agreement should never ask for my opinion.



pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 997
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm

That's right Fnord.
People who prefer lies and false flattery should avoid forums for people with aspergers at all costs.



pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 997
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2014, 9:53 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Agreed. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It's refreshing to be able to express myself more succinctly here, because I seem to need a translator half the time IRL. I wouldn't be hard to recognize if someone knew me in person, though.


What makes you think anyone on this forum cares whether you are easy to recognize or not?



MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,922

24 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm

poker face wrote:
. I am not hiding behind my anonimity because everything I mentioned on this forum is close to the truth and if anyone would ask me to repeat what I have stated here in a real life conversation I would voice the exact same opinions.


Rephrasing as a supportive statement.:roll:



pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 997
Location: The Netherlands

24 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
poker face wrote:
. I am not hiding behind my anonimity because everything I mentioned on this forum is close to the truth and if anyone would ask me to repeat what I have stated here in a real life conversation I would voice the exact same opinions.


Rephrasing as a supportive statement.:roll:


That' righ. Now it is your turn to rephrase your posts here in grammatically correct dutch.



886
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,013
Location: SLC, Utah

26 Jan 2014, 3:27 am

When I go on the internet, I go on to complain and find people who I can relate to - so we can complain to each other.

Especially here, granted I have not very many positive things to say about asperger's.


_________________
If Jesus died for my sins, then I should sin as much as possible, so he didn't die for nothing.


briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 666
Location: STENDEC

26 Jan 2014, 3:43 am

I think to me tact is mostly not coming off as a complete jerk.
The old adage of it's not what you say, but how you say it.
And that meaning simply being to be nice to others.



Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2013
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 589
Location: Trevor's Meth lab

26 Jan 2014, 6:04 am

Meh, sometimes I like to get advice of forums, saying things I would be too scared to say in real life, there's a good example of that of me asking for advice on another forum, though if You are to stumble upon it, please don't mention it that's in the past now.



GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 806
Location: USA

26 Jan 2014, 6:20 am

There is a difference though between being honest and being deliberately insulting

say "I don't believe the same way you do" & "you are a freaking idiot"


_________________
?The first duty of a human being is to assume the right functional relationship to society--more briefly, to find your real job, and do it.? - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
"There never was a good war, or a bad peace." - Benjamin Franklin