Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2014, 9:19 am

I feel really mean and I really hate to admit this, but sometimes when I spend all day with my boyfriend I get really easily annoyed and I've said things that weren't very nice and even screamed. I don't even think it's anything to do with him.

It could be my mum or a friend, but spending a lot of time with someone and they really annoy me?
Sometimes I go to the movies with one of my friends and it's fine and other times I am like "Why am I here with HER?"

I want to be nicer and not get so angry.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 11:01 am

Are you angry with the other person, or are you feeling anger/frustration that is more general and you don't know why?

Being overstimulated, for example by noise, tends to make me irritable. If I don't think about it, and I am with someone, I'll feel at first like it's the person I'm with, when really, it's the noise, or some other sensory thing.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2014, 12:26 pm

I can relate. My window for enjoying someone's company is about 2 hours.

When I was a small boy, I one day had a friend come over for a play date. After some time we began to get fussy with one another - arguing and the like. My mother then said: "Ok, you guys are getting tired of one another", and took my friend home.

That incident and what my mother said has stuck with me. Whenever I spend more than a few hours with someone, even someone I am dating, I find I start getting a bit grumpy. I remember my mother's words and know that it is time for me to go home for some alone time.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm

There could be a number of things going on here. As the previous poster said, you may just be very introverted and will need time alone from people after a while. Also, it's possible that you have sensory issues that you haven't recognized yet and you may get angry in reaction to a certian sound, smell, or touch, or that stress could build up over time from previous events in your day or week and you just haven't noticed it.

Here's something you can try: ask your family, friends and boyfriend if they have noticed anything in common with the times you get angry. It could be something happening around them, something they said or did, or previous events leading up to them. If you identify why you get angry, perhaps you could then find ways to keep your anger from happening.