Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 2:05 am

What is the most advanced thing you have ever accomplished?
Tell me about what happened and why please. I want to know.

For me, it was successfully photoshopping six pack abs onto myself. It took me a week and half of watching YouTube tutorials until I finally figured it out. And it looks real enough where people don't ask if it's real or not, they just think it's real :P

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 7:05 am

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:

For me, it was successfully photoshopping six pack abs onto myself. It took me a week and half of watching YouTube tutorials until I finally figured it out. And it looks real enough where people don't ask if it's real or not, they just think it's real :P
That's cute.

For me, I think it is learning to ski. Of course it's an ongoing process but learning to be a good technical skier can take a long time and it requires a lot of meticulous practice. This is my fifth season and I just beginning to do some lower advanced level stuff. But hopefully in a few years I will reach an "expert" level. I put that in quotes because the word "expert" is pretty broad. Like I might never be as good as an Olympic level skier but my technical skills might get advanced enough to be considered "expert" in the recreational skier world. But I definitely feel like this is a huge accomplishment for me.

Wreck It Ralph

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 7:28 am

I'd say probably building an "old school" bobber style motorcycle by myself, was the biggest and most demanding of all my many projects.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:23 am

Various work projects

most proud of things like the square root routines I did for a compiler I was working on - two versions, one optimized for speed and one for space.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:29 am

Learning how to photo shop images for avatars using similar but free programs online like Pixlr and iPiccy.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:35 am

Got A grades at University whilst studying towards an Archaeology and Heritage studies (ohhhh all the museums, the wonderful museums) degree at the University of Worcester. Fell ill with stomach problems and bad headaches/CFS type issues (now cleared up), had family to care for back then and had to leave course before finishing. I'd return to finish it but funding is a problem as is group work and dealing with the human race.

Had poetry published as a teenager. Lost interest in writing and stopped.

Got 97% on a University level physics paper (studying from home this time with the OU). Was pleased with even though it was only in the first year as I'd never studied the subject before (did other subjects (sociology, psychology, human biology, english, maths, literature, media studies, drama etc) at GCSE and A level level study).

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:48 am

I got a Tetris score so high that the game could no longer show it...

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 10:15 am

For me. It was figuring out how to build a musical dancing water fountain display that would fit in my front yard which BTW: I now use as my Christmas display. It was quite an engineering challenge to figure out how to make this work, considering the fact that it had to be portable so it can be stored for the season as well as make it function in below freezing temperatures. When I first brought up the idea to some of my friends, they thought I was crazy. Even I thought I was crazy at times for trying to do this but I knew it could be done and I stuck to it to the end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnmPOB2bWY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiR_XlUwiCo[/youtube]

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2014, 11:18 am

LupaLuna wrote:
For me. It was figuring out how to build a musical dancing water fountain display that would fit in my front yard which BTW: I now use as my Christmas display. It was quite an engineering challenge to figure out how to make this work, considering the fact that it had to be portable so it can be stored for the season as well as make it function in below freezing temperatures. When I first brought up the idea to some of my friends, they thought I was crazy. Even I thought I was crazy at times for trying to do this but I knew it could be done and I stuck to it to the end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKnmPOB2bWY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiR_XlUwiCo[/youtube]

Do you see music vividly in your head? The way you did this to the music is much like how music is viewed in my mind.

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2014, 11:29 am

I have an internal and an external accomplishment for myself.

My external is the fact that I worked so hard to find a career that works for me. It isn't too important to me but I do feel like it is an accomplishment none the less.

My biggest accomplishment is my writing. I have a unique style that throughout my degree teachers, students, and people in general did not like. They told me I don't use enough metaphors, stanzas, style, or structure. For the longest time I did learn these things and used them in my works but I felt like they limited my creativity. For me writing was a way to take things from inside my mind, a world completely different then what others seemed to live in, and apply it to something others could experience. I look at it as connecting in a way without having to connect to individuals. I don't know if that really makes sense. Anyways, for the longest time which is pretty much from gradeschool to my late 20s I never shared any of my real writing. I did school papers and projects of course but that was with form and style and not the way i wanted to write. Over a period of the last two years I have come to share my writing with the outside world and am generally pleased with the results. Sure, people still tell me my style and form is bad but I don't really care because once in a while someone actually enjoys seeing things from my perspective.

Oh, my eyes are also bad enough for glasses finally. Something about glasses soothes me and I've never been able to wear them because my eyes were fine. I wore my parents glasses as a kid because the feeling of them makes me feel closed off and comfortable. That was a huge accomplishment for me too. Great job body for finally breaking down and letting me get glasses.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

I have a few of them:

1) Getting promoted at work to an advanced position more indicative of my skills. I was a data entry clerk for about 4 years; I did a lot of medical editing of manuscripts, got really good at it, and now they've made it my official title. Also with a raise, which is cool.

2) I'm nearly finished with a book I've been writing. Don't know if it'll ever be published, but I like the feeling that I've created something that might help other people someday.

3) Bought (well, mortgaged) my own condo. Great, quiet place in a great neighborhood.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jan 2014, 11:41 am

I hold the world record on Kanye Zone.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

CivilSam wrote:
Do you see music vividly in your head? The way you did this to the music is much like how music is viewed in my mind.

Funny you would mention that. One of the reason I build this so I could have a crack a choreographing a fountain show since I dough they let me mess around with the show at the bellagio.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 5:39 pm

I'm jealous of everyone's accomplishments, I should have thought of something better to post... ha there isn't anything better to post (for me!! !!)

CivilSam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
I'm jealous of everyone's accomplishments, I should have thought of something better to post... ha there isn't anything better to post (for me!! !!)

Don't be jealous. You and only you should be the judge of how much worth or value something you accomplished is.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 6:00 pm

I got 5th place at the state level in a competition for troubleshooting computers