Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Primary symptoms are high degree of disabling anxiety and PTSD like symptoms

These aren't symptoms of autism...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2014, 8:03 pm

InnaLucia wrote:
I am not taking any medication.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 3:51 am

You should probably use a more scientific method for gathering information if you want your book to have validity. Asking us at wrongplanet to list our meds is an unrepresentative sample. Of course, if it is not for an academic audience that won't matter. It wouldn't even occur to a layperson to ask what sampling method was used when gathering data.

As for me, I take Effexor for depression and Buspar for anxiety. They work very well. I also use a full-spectrum lamp because my depression has a seasonal pattern. It always gets much worse in the winter time. In the spring and summer, it is mild.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:25 am

I'm not on any meds currently. I haven't taken any meds in about 9 months.

List of meds I used to take:

Adderall - Stayed up for 24 hour periods and smoke packs of cigarettes back when I didn't even smoke cigarettes before taking it. Also messed with my vision.
Vyvance (sp?) - Kept me up once for 52 hours straight. Horrible, horrible. Never took it again.
Celexa - Helped with depression but did nothing for my obsessive thought. Also dry mouth and sort of felt numb.
Prozac - Helped with obsessive thought and increased focus and drive. But made me feel emotionally flat - couldn't feel happy or sad. Felt weird and alien.
Trazadone - Helps with insomnia but gives me serious munchies which causes me to eat in bed and then fall asleep with pieces of food on myself. Also have trouble waking up and am fatigued and lethargic the whole next day.
Strattera - Probably the best for my ADD. It helps me focus but not as good as Adderall or vyvance, but it doesn't keep me awake and I can take it as needed.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:38 am

Some mild benzoes to knock down the anxiety, when it is there.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 4:39 am

I'm unmedicated at the moment, though I had a prescription for citalopram a couple years ago that lasted a few months, then a few prescriptions for escitalopram, the longest of which was maybe a month or two. I don't exactly have the best relationship with doctors or psychiatric medications, and I certainly think I would do better if I were allowed more freedom to experiment with different drugs, and find something for myself that would help me long-term.

I really should be on something for anxiety right now, but aside from an extremely short-term prescription (two tablets!) I was once given for ativan when I mentioned during a check-up that I was going on a plane trip, I've never really been given any "real" anti-anxiety medications, just antidepressants with anti-anxiety as an off-label use.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 12:16 am

I just got an email yesterday from Rxisks.org, Dr. David Healy's website in regards to psychopharmacology. Have a look at Rxisks.org, as well as his blog, davidhealy.org

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 1:09 am

ouroborosUK wrote:
At the present time, the only things I use is :
- Kava (a root infusion from the Pacific islands) quite regularly, maybe every other day. I find it etremely soothing and relaxing.

Be careful with that thing. I researched into it since it seemed to be the only thing that might have been of help to me (I have no medications other than blood pressure and cholesterol meds...aka none for mental conditions).

Kava can be made from the leaves or from the roots of the plant. The natives in the Pacific use the leaves because the root extract can be very toxic.

Modern industrial pharma however, makes the Kava you buy from the roots because it has higher concentrations of the active ingredient...but it also has the bad stuff. That little bit is conveniently not documented.

Kava made from roots, taken regularly or in large doses can and will kill your liver. The kava made from the leaf of the plant will not.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2014, 5:22 am

Eleva (Zoloft) 100mg
Marvelon (Pill)
Regular old multi vitamins
Vitamin C tablet

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 6:40 am

the only meds I currently take that I know of affecting me emotionally

one is actually for migraines but it was designed for epilepsy and has psychiatric uses

Topirimate - originally prescribed @ 300 mg/day annd I have reduced it to 50mg/day in an attempt to wean off entirely. I am managing this trough total diet change including going gluten free.

Hormone regulating meds

Estradiol Valerate - inj 40mg/ml .5 ml every two weeks (I am 51)

I have been at times on meds for depression due to living in abusive situations and for sleep disorders, I found them both to cause physical problems and I am allergic to many so I no longer take them.

Bisabing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

I have anxiety and depression on top of Asperger's and it seems like these medications work for me:

Citalopram (Celexa) 40 mg

Bupropion (Wellbutrin) 150 mg

But honestly, medications work differently for everyone. I had to try a lot of medications before discovering which ones actually helped me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:

I'd say that a high degree of disabling anxiety is possible in response to primary symptoms of an ASD. Say, forced routine change or being in an area that's overwhelming -- they'll provide high levels of anxiety, and if they're frequent enough..., there's disabling.

PTSD, no.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 12:35 am

Dillogic wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:

I'd say that a high degree of disabling anxiety is possible in response to primary symptoms of an ASD. Say, forced routine change or being in an area that's overwhelming -- they'll provide high levels of anxiety, and if they're frequent enough..., there's disabling.

PTSD, no.

In response, yeah, but that's still not a primary symptom. The primary symptoms there are the need for routine and propensity to become overwhelmed.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2014, 8:43 am

I have never taken any medication, and I would adamantly refuse anyways.