Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:50 am

I am starting a service that will be hooking up clients to talented auties for short term freelance work.

I have talked to an admin here and I have to be careful about not promoting a business and soliciting funds, so I can't at this point be very specific.

The idea is to be something of a mash-up between Angie's List, Amazon Turk and LinkedIn but specifically geared towards the autism community.

One thing I need is input from people on the spectrum. My experience has been that web sites in general are poorly designed and more specifically, very few are autism friendly. I need feedback from fellow aspies about what they would like to see in a well designed website. I would greatly appreciate any feed back. Also very useful would be links to websites that you think are well designed.

The ultimate goal is a place where adults with ASDs can build an online portfolio and be in a searchable system that allows clients and workers to find each other. I would love to here any ideas on how to make this the most beneficial to you.

Thanks!

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 10:41 am

Bright colours are a no-no. Offer multiple themes. Some people like high contrast, I cannot tolerate it. Keep it simple. Make it 508 compliant - most things that fit under that help make it less of an eyesore. This also helps expand your userbase for people who may not be autistic but have other disabilities with similar issues. Keep everything well organized. Make sure everything can be accessed from each page.

Basically, general good website design does wonders.

Oh yeah, and don't do this crap. Seriously. (although that goes without saying).

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 11:23 am

YIKES that's horrible! Wins Worst Website of the Decade Award.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 1:00 pm

OMG. That has to be the worst web site ever.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

[ Moved from Work and finding a Job to Computers, Math, Science, and Technology ]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2014, 9:04 pm

corvuscorax wrote:

Basically, general good website design does wonders.

Oh yeah, and don't do this crap. Seriously. (although that goes without saying).

Who ever designed that abomination should be depended above a pit of red hot coals.

ruveyn

mouthyb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm

Simple, elegant, not crowded and full of flashing colors. *ugh* I really, REALLY hate visiting a website that looks like someone vomited flashy clip art on it. It's okay to have white/empty space on a website. It's okay to use simple, blocked designs, or well-aligned geometric shapes. It's really okay to pick colors that aren't completely opposite each other on the color wheel. It's also okay not to line everything up on the same line, but respect the principals of design symmetry/asymmetry and the fact that English speakers read left to right.

Don't make the background red/pink and the text black or white, and watch the how 'busy' the design is. If you absolutely, positively must have a picture in the background, reduce its contrast and make the font larger, preferably atop a box of its own.

Pick a color scheme with less than four different basic colors and use shades within that color scheme. The rainbow--it should be a minimal part of the design, not a rule for color inclusion.

Pay attention to where the eye is directed during layout choices--don't jerk people's eyes all over the page (like the website someone had a link to earlier).

I could go on, but I think I'm starting to foam at the mouth. Want an example of good design? Here you go. There's even a rainbow. Look at all the nice white space, the alignment and symmetry, the size of font and readability of the page. There's a lot on it, but it's not vomited all over the place. It has clear zones.

* pant, pant * I HAVE FEELINGS ON THIS ISSUE.

The feels are shipped in by train once a week--Friday, I'm in love.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:23 pm

mouthyb wrote:
Want an example of good design? Here you go. There's even a rainbow. Look at all the nice white space, the alignment and symmetry, the size of font and readability of the page. There's a lot on it, but it's not vomited all over the place. It has clear zones.

That's a pretty good design for a web page.

Twitter actually has a very nicely done site. Here's their "about" page:

Twitter "About"

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 7:16 am

This is the current home page of the service. It is clearly incomplete. But I want the design and flow of the site to be clean from the very beginning.

Autoloy.net

Any feedback is appreciated.

Before we start accepting clients, we are going to be building out the database and web pages for managing profiles.

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2014, 11:13 pm

Personally, something clean like the design of Apple and Google's websites would work nicely, and users could always invert colors.