Do you ever use public transportation?

Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
From the looks of your first paragraph, you don't have a car because you don't want one.

im kind of jaded when it comes to car owners. the world of driving has so many unwritten rules, and people who ignore the written rules that i would have extreme road rage if i drove. i sometimes consider getting a car, but then i remember how unpredictable people can be. i just feel that if i can get by just fine without a car, why cant everyone else? with a strong nationwide public transit system, along side a privatized company(greyhound) we could easily get by without personal cars.

of course, business still needs vehicles, from taxis, to pizza deliveries to long haul truckers.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 12:11 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
From the looks of your first paragraph, you don't have a car because you don't want one.

im kind of jaded when it comes to car owners. the world of driving has so many unwritten rules, and people who ignore the written rules that i would have extreme road rage if i drove. i sometimes consider getting a car, but then i remember how unpredictable people can be. i just feel that if i can get by just fine without a car, why cant everyone else? with a strong nationwide public transit system, along side a privatized company(greyhound) we could easily get by without personal cars.

of course, business still needs vehicles, from taxis, to pizza deliveries to long haul truckers.

Most people prefer personal transportation. I hate public transport because it's usually late, the trains are often canceled, the interior of trains and buses is often horrible, and I'm too scared to listen to music or anything because my phone could get stolen.

In your own car, you go a direct route to where you want to go, you don't have to wait for it to turn up at certain places, you don't have to worry about it being late, you're in your own private space that you can keep as you like, and you can listen to music without getting mugged.

I'm getting a car when I'm 18, as long as I can afford it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 1:02 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

I didn't think there were unwritten rules in driving. When you are getting your license, you read the Driver's manual and it says everything about the rules. But when I took the test, there were lot of questions that weren't in the manual such as "When you miss your exit, what do you do about it?" and it had these four options and I picked "Get off at the next exit and get back on the road and get off at the correct exit" the other options were silly like "Pull over and back up to the exit you missed." So lot of these questions I had to answer was based on common sense. So I guess you can call those unwritten rules. I mean it's pretty dangerous to back up on the freeway and you have to be pretty stupid to do that. Some of the questions I found funny because the answers were so silly and it was obvious which one isn't the correct answer and I am sure there are people out there who would pick those silly answers. At the time, I felt I had wasted my time studying the darn manual because lot of these weren't even in the test.

As for not getting by without a car, some people can't because not all cities have good transportation and when you live out in the country, you need a car. Where you live where there is no public transportation, you need a car. Now our transportation company has been cutting back on bus services and now they are talking about shortening the bus services and i am not happy about it because my husband works till 1:30 in the morning and he can't take a cab home every night because it's nine dollars he says per ride. We can't pay that everyday five days a week. But luckily I have a car and now I am going to have to use my gas everyday just to get him from work and having to get up at night to pick him up. I work now and I am exhausted when I get back so I am able to sleep at night because of it. But if they do this, now I am going to have to get up at night just to get him. But luckily he is only ten minutes away (thanks to hardly any traffic at night) so I be gone about twenty minutes.

And what pisses me off is, I hear the company wants to raise bus fare again and all the passes. What a joke because first they were making less money so they cut 12 bus lines and cut back on how frequent the trains run. Now they are making less money again and they want to raise bus fare? Why not just lower the darn prices because of they keep raising them, less people are going to ride and just take their cars and they are just so stupid because they are talking about cutting bus lines again or cutting back on bus services when they can just lower the bus fare. I think they get more people that way and I complained to them online one time about what they were talking about doing and I whined about how I won't be able to afford it. I am just sick of the prices of monthly bus passes and the fact they are talking about raising them again another $10 I went for a honored citizen bus pass finally where I only be paying $25 a month but I hear they are going to raise that up $2. Even my husband finally got one too to cut back on bills. I think our transportation is starting to suck now. But sadly I am forced to take the bus again because I can't park at work.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 3:45 pm

I never do, but we don't have any where I live. I would (just for fun) if I lived in a bigger city.

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

When I go to school or friends I travel by bus. When we're going to a nearby city we take the regional train, for cities that are farther away the intercity trains.

Public transportation in the Netherlands is very good, it's better for the environment and it's relaxed. I use it often and I love it.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 4:48 pm

I always miss my stop and get lost. :oops: :roll:

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 5:51 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Most people prefer personal transportation. I hate public transport because it's usually late, the trains are often canceled, the interior of trains and buses is often horrible, and I'm too scared to listen to music or anything because my phone could get stolen.

In your own car, you go a direct route to where you want to go, you don't have to wait for it to turn up at certain places, you don't have to worry about it being late, you're in your own private space that you can keep as you like, and you can listen to music without getting mugged.

I'm getting a car when I'm 18, as long as I can afford it.
u can get mucked in london if u listen music? i mean..first person to try that to me would end up in ER if hes lucky i get that u are just 15...but if u never get mucked just grap first item in your hand wich can be used as weapon and run after :P

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 6:26 pm

When I visit big hard to drive in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago or L.A. I use public transit as much as possible. Also when I go to New York City (I live in N.J.) I use the high speed electric rail transit to Penn Station in Manhattan. Parking a car costs a bloody fortune in NYC to say nothing of the bridge and tunnel tolls. A train ride is a much better deal.

ruveyn