Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RedEnigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm

If you think you have an ASD, get professionally assessed.
We aren't qualified to state whether you are or not.
We are not professionals.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 9:10 pm

You sound more like a gifted individual suffering from depression and social anxiety disorder than a person with ASD. Along with social problems, autistics also display clinical "restricted and repetitive patterns of behaviour", meaning that they have to follow a routine or be informed in advance of upcoming events to prevent distress and anxiety, they have odd self-stimulating motor mannerisms, flapping, rocking, spinning, flicking etc., they have very limited likes and dislikes with regard to clothes, food, noise, lighting etc. due to pervasive sensory sensitivities (hyper and hyposensitivity both), and have all-consuming special interests, though those interests do more than mitigate symptoms of depression, they actively excite, and can sometimes take over a person's life when that person has other things they need to be doing. I would definitely get evaluated for the depression and SAD so you can start receiving appropriate help for them, and if you still think it's a worthwhile consideration, perhaps mention the possibility of AS to your psychologist and see what he/she says.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:30 am

There are many core autistic traits and what gives the game away is the fact that you dont seem to display any of them.... it would be worth taking an online test http://aspietests.org/index.php. Theres an entire battery there.

you're score should give you better indications of where to proceed from. Also its worth noting that I have alot of traits that I simply wasnt aware of. These have been pointed out to me by others over the years. I didnt for example realisew that im a raging control freak and try to control and organise every aspect of my environment particularly when stressed. I assumed it was normal.

You may have alot of traits and not yet have the emotional maturity to objectivrly identify them

corfe123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2014, 6:14 am

I took the above test and it said I had scores above the threshold value, but these values were really low compared to suspected and confirmed Asperger's and actually lower than the neurotypical scores (which i'm taking to mean as non Asperger's )...

...I think I have seen and heard enough to know though that I am probably barking up the wrong tree here and that I need to look elsewhere for the root cause of my issues. Thanks for the input though everyone, it is appreciated!

Last edited by corfe123 on 29 Jan 2014, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

corfe123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2014, 7:16 am

I took the above test and it said I had scores above the threshold value, but these values were really low compared to suspected and confirmed Asperger's and actually lower than the neurotypical scores (which i'm taking to mean as non Asperger's )...

...I think I have seen and heard enough to know though that I am probably barking up the wrong tree here and that I need to look elsewhere for the root cause of my issues. Thanks for the input though everyone, it is appreciated!