Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2014, 9:37 pm

Is there anyone here with interests in writing

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2014, 12:59 am

There's a lot of different kinds of writing - do you mean writing novels (done that), non-fiction/academic (done that) or writing insurance or police reports?

Mercado
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2014, 1:50 am

the former

Mercado
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2014, 1:50 am

the former

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:19 am

I've written and published a book. The writing part was easy. The marketing is a pain in the tuckus. I wasn't expecting that.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 2:59 am

I'm a bit of a procrastinator, but I'm currently trying to get a first draft done by June.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/
http://davidfarland.net/

These are the two main sites - they have tips on both writing itself and writing as a career. I'm sure you'll find it useful~

Author/Writer

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:28 am

I fancy myself a writer - as of yet unpublished, so I don't know if the word "professional" can be applied to me, but writing is what I do. In the past, I've gone through periods of zero inspiration and procrastination to obsessively rewriting unfinished work till I run out of steam. Right now, I'm having something of a creative spurt where I've completed two short stories (not yet publishable - I'm my own worst critic), and I'm currently banging out a third. I don't expect to ever be rich or even particularly famous (though that last would be nice), but I have this calling to be a writer, and I want to spend the rest of my life pounding out fiction on my keyboard.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:40 am

I have that disorder.

Developing being a storyteller.

What I like about it is the endless edit. Once the story is in print, so much shows that needs to be fixed.

It is talking to yourself with a keyboard.

I set out to organize my knowledge about a subject, and learned three times as much just by reducing it to print.

Wealth and Fame would be fine, but the benefits of writing come without anyone ever seeing it.

An idea takes characters to express it, all created by the writer, but then the characters have all have a different view of the idea, and of each other.

A man, sitting alone in a room before a keyboard, becomes a useful resource for ideas floating around in the universe.

Things I never thought of fill holes in my stories. My characters take me aside for a talk, when I really miss what is happening. As it is their story more than mine, I have to agree with them.

Writing is the best way to learn about yourself, other people, and the universe.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

I write when I obsess about it. But when I don't, I find it hard. I'm obsessed with playing Skyrim right now so all my free time is spent playing that instead of writing. but a month ago, I was obsessed with writing and I think i churned out over two months the obsession lasted, about 200k+ words for a few stories. But none of them ever got completed.

Even when I don't obsess about it, I still think about it. I love the stories I come up with. The characters, settings, and worlds I build.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 11:10 am

I do research and academic writing, and judging by my grades and comparison to peers, I'm pretty good.

I'd love to do nonfiction or tech-writing as a job, but making a living at it would be too hard.

There are simply too many good writers blogging for free. The market is flooded and the skill is, as a result, grossly undervalued.

Mercado
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2014, 11:11 am

Yeah, because me and my friend overseas are trying to publish a manga, after the first chapter is done
but we kinda don't know how to publish it

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:02 pm

Mercado wrote:
Yeah, because me and my friend overseas are trying to publish a manga, after the first chapter is done
but we kinda don't know how to publish it

In the beginning, this is usually referred to as 'Doujinshi', at least using Japanese terms. They're usually sold at booths at Japanese conventions. Other methods include posting on a site as a web comic/manga, or trying to get it in a magazine such as Shonen Jump or something similar. There are probably some ways to get it published like a regular book as well, but these often require a decent amount of content, probably a bit longer than a first chapter.

I'd say finish a few more chapters before trying to sell it though - get a decent amount of the story done, draft and re-draft and quality check it so you end up with something truly enjoyable.

Author/Writer

Mercado
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm

i meant to say arc
since they are having this komikon contest in april

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 3:12 pm

I'm an aspiring fiction writer, myself. I'm currently working on a play as a gift for my high school drama teacher, and I've been stuck on a novel and some short stories. My genres are predominantly horror, thrillers, and mysteries, though I occasionally dip into science fiction and action. I'm also hoping to be an elementary school English teacher. I sometimes wonder what it would be like, being a bestselling writer and helping kids at the same time.