5 comforting truths about health (or at least what I think)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:06 pm

I have struggled with eating disorders, and I'm finally starting to realize the truth about health--being healthy does not mean being on the skinnier side of the normal BMI range (which was where I always wished I was.) It means eating a diet that feels natural to you and loving your body.

1. Happiness is more important than anything. Happy people live longer and are less likely to get heart attacks.

2. It's a total myth that sugar is "poison" or a "drug." If it were, everyone who ate sugar would literally be addicted--as if they were on cocaine. I have recently begun to overcome binge eating disorder, and I used to think that sugar was the culprit, but I realized that it's really about emotions, not food. I still eat sugar, but I rarely binge like I used to because I deal with the emotions in healthier ways, like listening to positive music.

3. It's not what you eat, it's your attitude towards food that matters. Eating junk food because you like the taste is a thousand times better than eating junk food to comfort yourself. And if you're eating healthy foods, but you hate eating healthy foods, it's not really healthy because you're making yourself miserable and, later on, you might develop terrible eating habits out of deprivation.

4. Nobody but you is judging you on your weight. Honestly, when people judge you, they focus mostly on your personality, hygiene, and clothing, not your weight. Unless you're a Hollywood celebrity.

5. Who said that eating was a scientific equation of exact measurements, fat grams, calories, and carbs? If anything, people have had a much less healthy attitude towards food ever since the era of nutrition labeling started. It's much healthier to think of your food as just "food" instead of "X ounces of food" or "X calories."

Allen22
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2014, 3:52 am

My truth is:
Healthy diet is very important. An unhealthy diet leads to diseases like diabetes, hypertension, certain cancers, obesity, and micro nutrient deficiencies.