Anybody here find the Cinema a nightmare

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm

Our local Cinema got an upgrade to stadium seating.

Most people seem to think it is ok to put their feet on the seats in-front of them.
People do not shut up.
People use their bright smart phone screens.
People kick the back of seats.

Why is it people can not go into a movie sit still in their seat shut up and watch the movie?

And I am the person with the disorder. :roll:

I just don't understand what these people get out of going to the cinema.

I find the experience stressful to say the least.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm

NTs have the very same complaints.

Are you sure you're autistic? (Just kidding.)

Personally, it has to be a really special movie for me to go with someone to a theater (and I'll never go alone).

Most movies I want to see end up being in my DVD player six months after they were in the theaters, and that's the first time I see them.

You want order and sanity from a race of beings that are steeped in chaos.

Ain't gonna happen. :?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm

I've only been to a movie once or twice in the last 10-15 years, and it was the movie itself that made me most uncomfortable. It was like a full on assault to the senses, too loud and too much rapid motion.

I miss seeing quiet, subdued period films, that were more popular in the 90s, do they still make those?

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm

dianthus wrote:
I've only been to a movie once or twice in the last 10-15 years, and it was the movie itself that made me most uncomfortable. It was like a full on assault to the senses, too loud and too much rapid motion.

I miss seeing quiet, subdued period films, that were more popular in the 90s, do they still make those?

Beeping horns traffic noisy rooms full of people get to me.

However good surround sound in the cinema is great.

I always remember seeing this in the cinema with a great sound system.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SrgAn7hao[/youtube]

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm

sharkattack wrote:
dianthus wrote:

Beeping horns traffic noisy rooms full of people get to me.

However good surround sound in the cinema is great.

I always remember seeing this in the cinema with a great sound system...

I HATE current theater sound systems. Multi-track stereo, sounds coming at you from all directions at once...

It's a MOVIE for cryin' out loud! The sound should come FROM THE SCREEN. :P

Okay, if you want to do left and right stereo, that's all right, I guess. But I don't want sounds from the screen coming at me from BEHIND me. :)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:48 pm

sharkattack,
am unable to go to cinemas due to the profound sensory and information onslaught but being a film lover woud recommend having a look out [or maybe contacting the local cinemas] to see if they have any autism friendly showings,as many in the UK put on autism friendly showings at least once a month [only thing is,they seem to be quite long out films and not the ones that have just been released],used to live with two profoundly autistic people who went to our local and it was always a success for them.
they have the lights on,and the sound turned down but there can be very loud individuals because challenging behavior such as screaming or head banging isnt treated like some random bellend shouting out or a bunch of scallies kicking chairs.

perhaps if cannot find a solution,shoud put an email into the cinema along the same sort of theme as have posted here,who knows they may check out autism friendly showings or at the least offer free tickets.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2014, 6:50 pm

sharkattack wrote:
People do not shut up.

These two, and the eating/drinking. Drives me nuts. Smelly, noisy, and at least once per movie someone kicks over an empty glass bottle that then loudly rolls around the floor. And then of course they have to get up to go to the toilet halfway through because of all the drinking.

In theory I quite like going to the cinema, although I do also find it stressful. I can't sit too close to the screen or too far off to the side because that does my head in; so does people moving in my peripheral vision. So picking a seat can be a bit of a challenge. And then it's sometimes too hot, and often too loud, and the emergency exit lights really distract me...

But when it works out, I do really enjoy that cinema feeling, so I always wait until the film's been showing for a while, and choose what I hope will be the least busy day of the week to go, and then I often do manage to enjoy it.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:51 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
sharkattack,
am unable to go to cinemas due to the profound sensory and information onslaught but being a film lover woud recommend having a look out [or maybe contacting the local cinemas] to see if they have any autism friendly showings,as many in the UK put on autism friendly showings at least once a month [only thing is,they seem to be quite long out films and not the ones that have just been released],used to live with two profoundly autistic people who went to our local and it was always a success for them.
they have the lights on,and the sound turned down but there can be very loud individuals because challenging behavior such as screaming or head banging isnt treated like some random bellend shouting out or a bunch of scallies kicking chairs.

perhaps if cannot find a solution,shoud put an email into the cinema along the same sort of theme as have posted here,who knows they may check out autism friendly showings or at the least offer free tickets.

Thanks.

However I have found a solution the main screen in the cinema has a VIP area with a separate entrance with large leather recliners placed far apart from each other.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

sidelines wrote:
sharkattack wrote:
People do not shut up.

These two, and the eating/drinking. Drives me nuts. Smelly, noisy, and at least once per movie someone kicks over an empty glass bottle that then loudly rolls around the floor. And then of course they have to get up to go to the toilet halfway through because of all the drinking.

In theory I quite like going to the cinema, although I do also find it stressful. I can't sit too close to the screen or too far off to the side because that does my head in; so does people moving in my peripheral vision. So picking a seat can be a bit of a challenge. And then it's sometimes too hot, and often too loud, and the emergency exit lights really distract me...

But when it works out, I do really enjoy that cinema feeling, so I always wait until the film's been showing for a while, and choose what I hope will be the least busy day of the week to go, and then I often do manage to enjoy it.

Depending on the aspect ratio of the movie there should be masking that moves into place to cover the unused part of the screen but sometimes it does not work as it should this is very distracting.
Badly lined up projection as in part of the movie is on the wall not the screen does my head in too.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:57 pm

sharkattack wrote:

However I have found a solution the main screen in the cinema has a VIP area with a separate entrance with large leather recliners placed far apart from each other.

And we'll just conk the ushers over the heads and leave them hogtied and gagged in a washroom while we sit in the VIP area.

It might not be as easy for everyone as for you, Sharkattack, but I'm glad you've found a solution. :D

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm

Sethno wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

And we'll just conk the ushers over the heads and leave them hogtied and gagged in a washroom while we sit in the VIP area.

It might not be as easy for everyone as for you, Sharkattack, but I'm glad you've found a solution. :D

Well I am sure other people don't find me easy. :lol:

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm

sharkattack wrote:
Badly lined up projection as in part of the movie is on the wall not the screen does my head in too.

Oh yes, that is massively irritating. Also, there are sometimes weird reflections/light effects, probably from the projector window or something, those are awful too.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm

sidelines wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

Oh yes, that is massively irritating. Also, there are sometimes weird reflections/light effects, probably from the projector window or something, those are awful too.

This happens in Multiplex cinemas this is light from a projector from another screen since they usually only have one big central projection room.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:15 pm

I don't even like going to a movie theater any more.

Besides the points mentioned, the speaker systems seem to be much, much louder than they used to be. I assume that is to try to make it where you can hear the movie in spite of the nearby bozos talking, but it is so loud that I find it far too aggravating.

My favorite movie venue was an outdoor walk-in movie theater. They had bleachers to sit on or if you wanted you could bring lawn chairs. Some families would bring blankets to put in the very front so that their small children could crawl on them.

Besides the occasional rain, the only real problem was that about halfway through the movie, a train would pass by on the other side of the highway from the movie. You could watch the movie but not hear anything. I never did understand why they didn't have a short intermission when the train went by.

There used to be one movie theater that had a balcony that was always closed off. I knew the projectionists and they would let me sit in the balcony by myself. I was never bothered by the noise of anyone else there and always had a complete view of the movie. I don't remember ever seeing anyone else in the balcony watching the movie.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:41 pm

Oh, yes. The movies. Ya gotta love 'em!

The last time I went to the cinema was to see The Avengers two years ago. It wasn't one of those stadium seating, super duper screens. I'd say it probably had 100 seats or so. It was a matinee so there was only a handful of people there. I went alone, as usual, but it was okay. People weren't that chatty. Popcorn-eating wasn't that loud. Parking was horrendous, though. The theatre is about 2.5 miles from my house. Next time I'd probably just walk to it instead of driving.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:15 pm

have not been to the theater in years
first they want you to pay through the nose to see the movie then you have to deal with all the noisy people
I would rather just download the movie and watch it at home