Pessimists may be genetically predisposed

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 6:56 pm

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/10/10 ... ubc-study/

Biologically emotional people supposedly more darkly pessimistic. I wonder if this could also explain the difference between those aspies who associate with emotions and ones that don't.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:09 pm

Personally, I think people choose whether to be pessimistic or optimistic. Me? I used to be pessimistic until I grew sick of hearing myself moan and groan about how bad everything was. Now I prefer to look on the bright side of things. Don't get me wrong--I'm no perfect Polly Anna; I do have my sad moments. I just choose not to dwell for a long time on those moments.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 7:23 pm

Its not a choice, it's a chemical imbalance caused by faulty neurology. Recent studies are showing that Psilocybin, the active ingredient in 'Magic Mushrooms' can bridge broken pathways in the brain and relieve chronic depression for up to two years after ingestion.

Everyone may get down from time to time and some may be able to shrug it off, but no one chooses to suffer from clinical depression, which is an agonizing, long-term, debilitating and frequently life-threatening condition.

I have no doubt that the condition is largely rooted in genetics. I also think that the very social handicaps we struggle with contribute in large degree to chronic depression. How can you spend your entire life alienated and excluded, incapable of making healthy human connections and not become depressed?

Solitude may be peaceful, but endless loneliness is torture.