Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:31 am

Hello!

Sorry to make yet another question thread but I've always got so much on my mind that I can't fully make sense of. I have this 'state' that I seem to enter in to when I need to.. sort of like a super daydream. I'll use an example for context:

---------------------------

Two years ago at a school swimming carnival I had no friends, and was doing no activities. I had to sit there alone in the same spot, in the hot sun for five hours. I knew this beforehand, and completely dreaded what was coming imagining how slow the day was going to go. To keep it short, we got there and I picked a nice spot and sat down. I sat there, still, literally the whole time thinking/day-dreaming or examining the environment and/or people around me. I didn't really feel bored, I didn't really feel annoyed, but I think that's because I knew I had no option but to wait it out. At times I would play with my bag or sticks around me, but that was it.

---------------------------

So what is strange about that? Time actually seemed to go pretty fast. I preoccupied myself somehow for hours without feeling too bad about it, and wondered how the hell I did it afterwards. I had absolutely nothing to do. I have done this with a lot of things, and I termed it 'Hibernation Mode'.

Could this possibly be, or is it definitely hyper-focus/perseveration? Or is it simply something like massive artificial patience? Is this relatable to anyone?

EDIT - Just for clarity, when I say it is like a super daydream, I don't feel different, like the daydream 'feeling' is not amplified, but that's just the way it seems. I don't know how to explain it EXACTLY.

robehickman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

Where you thinking about things during this time? I never get bored as I'm usually wotking on something and may continue desigining in my head.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:43 am

robehickman wrote:
Where you thinking about things during this time? I never get bored as I'm usually wotking on something and may continue desigining in my head.

Yes, I never stop thinking. I didn't think it was possible to.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

Looks like you've acquired the skill of entertaining yourself when you're in a hostile environment. Will you be going to college next year?

robehickman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

Norny wrote:
robehickman wrote:

Yes, I never stop thinking. I didn't think it was possible to.

Try and make use of it to your own advantage.

Also I hope you can find some friends, being alone all the time isn't a good thing, I've been there.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
Looks like you've acquired the skill of entertaining yourself when you're in a hostile environment. Will you be going to college next year?

???

I'm confused at what angle you are coming from. I live in Australia, so I don't go to college but I am going to university.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 11:15 am

Oh. In US we call that college. I don't have an angle.

Fogpatrol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2014, 2:56 pm

I wish I had that ability. When I get nothing to do, I overthink things and get very anxious and edgy. Usually at home I can just go to sleep if I'm like that and it pass. But if I have to wait at something somewhere it's the worst feeling ever and im very exhausted afterward.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

Yeah spacing out, I'm a champ. My dad teases me about it. "Where do you go to?" "It's no use giving him a time out sitting in a corner, he'll just stare at a spot on the wall and be entertained for hours". I think it's pretty much the same as like going into a trance. Probably the brain goes into some kinda mode similar to lucid dreaming. I think it's a coping mechanism for tuning out outside sensory issues.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

I space out a ton, particularly at school.