Coping with social anxiety aspects

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

So I started grad school this past Aug at a very small graduate school. In a way its kinda like being in a small highschool. The thing we all have the same classes and see the same people everyday. The thing is that I have major social confusion and acquintance anxiety. I get really uncomfortable with acquintances because I dont know what to do with them. Friends-I talk to, strangers- I dont talk to, acquirtances -????

Its killing me in classes. Sometimes I will get so anxious before classes, theres some days I will break out in tears. And last week, I broke out in tears in the middle class (didnt help) I do have one friend in the school and some people I talk to, not that I really know when to talk to them and not. Often times I will pass people with a small hi and thats it. I've always been horrible at approaching people and knowing when to talk and when to not. I even have worked with many people in groups and I wont know if its ok to approach them and start a convo. I really want to make more friends in this school and my anxiety is killing me.

Normally, I will have to plan my day and carefully strategize my actions to keep my anxiety from blowing out of the water. If I have planned social interactions(group meetings), Im fine. Cause I know who Im suppose to be talking to and about what. Mingling before class is the most anxiety provoking for me. And then theres the awkward hallway pass. I have to make eye contact smile and say hi which is normally faked (when I can muster it). And then sometimes I want to talk and get to know some people and I see them and will freeze not knowing how to approach them and include myself in the social interaction.

Anybody have suggestions on how to cope?

Felwitch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2014, 3:09 pm

I am working on my Bachelors at a small University, I had social anxiety and still do some. My college has a Health and Wellness center and I attend a social anxiety group therapy which has helped a lot. You should check with your college to see if they offer those services. If they do, it will probably be free, you just need to check early because there is often a wait list.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

Yeah I contacted the health center and I am on the list for a group therapy although the facilitator is still trying to get enough people so I dont know when its gonna start.

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 7:42 pm

If you need some professional help, message me. I went through masters and my doctorate degrees before in a socially demanding field named occupational therapy as an aspie.