Anybody use the Geek 2 Geek dating site?

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

High Springs is where I lived the last 17 years I was in Florida. :)

I admit, I do prefer the mountains as a backdrop; otherwise, I'd still be there. Getting a little tired of the cold, low-snow winters we've had the last few years here in SW Colorado. I like snow, but plain old cold gets tiresome after a couple months, especially when there's no one to snuggle with at night. :?

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

If I had to guess - I'd say...Montrose, or perhaps Durango?

One of my greatest memories will forever be the ride from Colorado Springs to Cortez via. highway 50 and then down through Telluride. That's a ride that I doubt will ever be topped on American roads.

Find peace in knowing that a little bit of ice on the roads might as well be the apocalypse down here. Last Thursday was almost comical to watch.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

Best ride of all is Ridgway to Durango over Red Mountain Pass (yup, I live outside of Durango). Have done that ride many times, as well as the Telluride to Cortez route. SW Colorado has quite possibly the best motorcycle roads in the nation, if not the world. We actually get quite a few Europeans who fly in, rent a bike, and ride the roads around here. I've been told by a number of them that this is the only part of the U.S. that they visit more than once, just for the roads.

Wow, I keep talking about great motorcycle roads like that, and I might have to sell something so I can get another working bike before spring.....right now all I've got is an '83 Shadow 750 in pieces. I'm not up to the task of putting it back together by myself - have the know-how, but neither the strength nor the full set of tools. Yet another reason I suffer from the current lack of guy-friends. :)

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

Hell, I could always use another project to tinker with. So long as you don't mind it coming back with a few Harley, Yamaha, and possibly Volkswagen parts attached, bring it on down!

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 7:04 pm

It's actually only got the tank and the carbs off at the moment. It was running rough at highway speeds, and my late fiance's son was in the process of rebuilding the carbs before he left the area (he was fixing it up for himself, but when he left he ceded all rights to me), although we weren't sure that was the problem. Basically, the carbs need to be finished and it needs to be put back together so that the rough-running problem can be tracked down and resolved.

If I can find the leave time for a road trip to Florida this year, I'll throw it in the back of the pickup and bring it to ya! 'Course, it would probably be more cost-effective to sell it as is and buy something else locally. Maybe not as much fun, though. LOL

I've been thinking about loading it up along with all my late fiance's tools (his family has said I can take whatever I want) and bringing it home so that I can make it my own project if/when I feel like it. It's very tempting, since I find myself at unremittingly loose ends these days. First, however, I've got to get electricity to the outbuilding that can serve as my shop.....if only it had electrical service. :roll:

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

Eureka13 wrote:
'Course, it would probably be more cost-effective to sell it as is and buy something else locally. Maybe not as much fun, though. LOL

That's the difference between a gear head and a yuppy! We're the saviors of forgotten, abused, and neglected machinery - with a bit of a Frankenstein complex :lol:

And if we can't save it - well, there's always dynamite!

Carbs can be nastly little buggers - I was brought up in the fuel injection era and then switched over to diesel, bypassing most of the "old school" stuff. The theory is all there in my head - but the zen of turning tiny screws hasn't found me yet.

Most days, I just use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Video- ... B00B75JABW

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 7:51 pm

loudzoo wrote:

LMAO!!

You must still be just a pup if you were brought up in the era of fuel injection. ;) I gotta admit, though, living (as I do) where you can easily change elevation by more than a mile in a few hours, EFI beats the pants off carbs for reliability.

I agree, though. Tinkering with stuff just to see what happens is fun in and of itself. You don't necessarily have to produce the desired result, although that's always a bonus. Fiddling with something just to see what changes......pure science. :D

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 8:19 pm

Oh snap! I think you found me out :P

I get the "wise beyond your years" hoopla all the time, but I'm still a few months behind the quarter century mark. Still holding out for that mythical auto insurance break :roll:

Pure science...I have to agree completely! People seem to forget some of the greatest things we have are the products of mad scientists aimlessly creating stuff from otherwise worthless junk.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 8:29 pm

I think it's awesome that you have such a great Zen 'tude at your tender years! You sound just like an old hippie biker (that's a compliment!).

Something you said earlier really resonated with me - the "yuppie" attitude of "newer is better" vs. the old-school way of diagnose and repair, even fabricate a part if you have to. I wish more people were of that school of thought. Aside from being more environmentally sound, it's also good brain food. I worry that we as a species are dumbing ourselves down to where soon everything will HAVE to be disposable, because no one will have retained the ability figure things out and fix them.

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

I have always said that the ingenuity of people in the absence of abundance is absolutely astounding. From seeing kids in high school make a pipe out of a soda can, to the old man next door using a fishing hook to pick stuff up off the ground, it never ceases to amaze me. Those of us who can exercise this quality amidst abundance are an anomaly to most, but truly the innovators of the world.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 10:07 pm

I could not agree more. It is reassuring to know there are at least a few of the younger generation who feel that way. It's getting harder and harder to find anyone of the same mindset as you and me.

To at least briefly return to the OT, I signed up on gk2gk. I ran across several very interesting profiles, but all of them live more than 1500 miles away, and in order to send messages to any of them, I would have to pay a subscription fee. Bleh.

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2014, 1:28 am

Geek2Geek ( http://www.gk2gk.com ) is a niche dating website ( http://nichedatingdirectory.com/ ), so it is unlikley to be listed amongst the "top" dating sites. Other similar sites are http://www.nerdpassions.com , http://www.sweetongeeks.com and http://www.sciconnect.com/ . (For an old review of some of those sites, see "Testing: Nerd-Dating Sites" , https://web.archive.org/web/20101031031 ... nerddating .)

Eureka13 wrote:
What about chemistry.com?

Chemistry.com is owned by IAC/InterActiveCorp ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAC/InterActiveCorp ), which is the same company that owns Match.com and OKCupid.com. In my (very limited) experience, it is just a more expensive version of Match.com.

loudzoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2014, 7:36 pm

Darn, we had a good derailment going too. Guess you'll have to tell me about the rocket ship you put together using a washing machine and an old JVC tape recorder some other time, eh?

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 9:38 pm

LOL, I hate when the derailment gets derailed.

My late fiance was a rocket scientist (aerospace engineer), so the washing machine rocket would not have been out of the question, were he still around. I'm okay with mechanical stuff, but aerodynamics was his bailiwick. :(

Rick0121
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2014, 1:20 pm

just wanted to post a latest review of G2G. They suck. They're terms and agreements suck the way they hook you in. The caliber of members suck. And geeks don't like to respond to other people. Very poorly managed dating site. Don't go there if you consider yourself a person before any other interest, phobia, diagnosis, you think you have. If you are a geek and think you are intelligent, don't use that dating site. But if you can hack into their site, steal their money (give it to charity) and disable their service, that would be good.