Talking about your special interests online

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

01 Feb 2014, 2:32 am

I often talk about my special interests online, instead of in real life. I often ask questions about my special interests over and over again on yahoo answers. A lot of people think I'm a troll because of that, but I have gained some fans because of that.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


bumble
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,073

01 Feb 2014, 2:49 am

I did that when my interest was the link between mental (as well as physical) health and nutrition. Everyone kept thinking I was whining, especially as my interest emerged from my own unresolved health issues at the time. I got called a troll too. I was seeking information and knowledge. What I got was useless subjective judgmentalism and advice for problems I did not have.

Fortunately I resolved the physical health problems myself (headaches/migraines, stomach issues, vertigo and dizziness, CFS type symptoms such as fatigue and muscle pain).

I use what I call a clean foods diet (heavily influenced by the paleo diet although I still consume some legumes, occasional grains and goats dairy...food the full paleo diet omits) and stay away from certain chemicals (cigarettes, alcohol etc) and medications. Symptoms went away when I took all the processed and chemical crap out.

I am still trying to find out what the cause of my social difficulties is as I am not formerly diagnosed (yet anyway).

These days I keep my interests (past and present, minor and major) to my blog. Lately I seem to have a thing for old movies/musicals and reading. If I'm not watching a movie I have my head in a book. Especially since getting rid of my brain fog and coming off antidepressants. I am now able to concentrate and focus on the material whereas before, for a number of years, whenever I tried to read I either had to keep reading the same damned sentence over and over again and/or could not remember a thing of what I had read anyway. It made the act of reading unpleasant, but that has now reversed.

I have linked to some old movies and a vintage movie site (full of bad B movies...:lol: it is) on my blog link below for others who like to watch them. Did start an old movies thread here which I posted some Norman Wisdom films in but I don't think many people here are into them.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 7,025
Location: Alberta, Canada

01 Feb 2014, 4:00 am

Part of the reason why I like talking to people online more than I do in real life is just because I can go on about my special interests, and actually have people listen somewhat. In real life, when I try to talk to people about my special interests, either they "get" them, or they tune out after the first few words. Even when they do "tune out" though, it's hard for me to quit since I often have a hard time finding other topics to talk about, I often have a hard time knowing if they have actually tuned out or if they're just actively listening, and I sometimes think that I can re-capture their interest if I mention certain things. As well, I simply hate being interrupted and not getting a chance to finish what I'm saying to someone.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

01 Feb 2014, 5:14 am

Usually I type in my question and find an archived discussion about it on Yahoo answers.
In real life the special interest i talked about for the last few months is, blah blah internet discussion forums blah blah :P . Mainly because they have enabled me to interact with others so much more than I ever have in real life. I have cut back on it considerably lately though cause I was really starting to fall behind in school.



DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

01 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
Usually I type in my question and find an archived discussion about it on Yahoo answers.
In real life the special interest i talked about for the last few months is, blah blah internet discussion forums blah blah :P . Mainly because they have enabled me to interact with others so much more than I ever have in real life. I have cut back on it considerably lately though cause I was really starting to fall behind in school.

I used to do that as well. I mostly ask questions about my special interests now because they are becoming more unique.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,507
Location: Canada

01 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm

its fun to collect information online!

i used to talk about my special interest in real life, until i learned no one cares. now i resserve it for the internets


_________________
Obsessing over Sonic the Hedgehog since 2009
Diagnosed with Aspergers' syndrome in 2012.
Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 1 severity without intellectual disability and without language impairment in 2015.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,142
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

02 Feb 2014, 12:31 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
its fun to collect information online!

i used to talk about my special interest in real life, until i learned no one cares. now i resserve it for the internets


I'm the same way, almost. I keep a lid on my special interests around my family. I talk about them once in a while with my friends, and I talk about them the most on WP.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,204
Location: Sydney, Australia

02 Feb 2014, 3:49 am

I found Yahoo Answers was full of trolls so I left. I just lost interest in asking a whole bunch of random questions, especially once I got diagnosed with Asperger's. This place became my new YA.


_________________
My band photography blog - http://lostthroughthelens.wordpress.com/
My personal blog - http://helptheywantmetosocialise.wordpress.com/


DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jul 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,067
Location: Canada

02 Feb 2014, 6:09 am

pensieve wrote:
I found Yahoo Answers was full of trolls so I left. I just lost interest in asking a whole bunch of random questions, especially once I got diagnosed with Asperger's. This place became my new YA.

I just enjoy asking questions about my special interests on there. I usually try to make the questions eye catching and the descriptions short and sweet. I often get a lot of fun answers. I don't really mind trolls unless I ask a serious question. I think they even consider me a troll because I ask some pretty wacky questions.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 82 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 124 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,646
Location: Long Island, New York

02 Feb 2014, 6:19 am

Since internet forums came into being I bore people a lot less as I now have a better outlet to discuss my interests rather then discussing them anybody who just happens to be around. You learn a lot about your interests on these forums. You don't have to look people in the eyes or read body language on a internet forum.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,686
Location: Erra (RA 03 45 12.5 Dec +24 28 02)

11 Feb 2014, 2:30 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
its fun to collect information online!

i used to talk about my special interest in real life, until i learned no one cares. now i resserve it for the internets


Lol. Classic! This made me laugh... at first, and then I realized the truth and sadness of it.

I still do talk about my special interests in real life but I choose carefully who I tell, what I tell them and when, for example:

1. Only tell people you are close to, know well and trust implicitly;
2. Only talk about the most interesting of the interesting;
3. Pick a time when they seem to be relaxed and in a good mood.

Now, as far as talking about special interests on the Internet is concerned... The myna or mynah is a bird of the starling family. This is a group of passerine birds which are native to southern Asia, especially India...

Nah, I won't do that to you all :D


_________________


Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.



Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,966

11 Feb 2014, 8:14 am

Quote:
The myna or mynah is a bird of the starling family. This is a group of passerine birds which are native to southern Asia, especially India...

Nah, I won't do that to you all


Tell me more! I like passerine birds!



Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 781
Location: Bundesrepublik Deutschland

11 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

I try not to type about my interests too much because it would probably annoy people who are more interested in their interests, but I do have to bring up one thing:

Ever since DMG and Mori collaborated, it seems they have some sort of fetish for possibilities of people injuring themselves by being idiots. Seriously, the amount of mechanisms in place to keep people from *possibly* placing hands near/in machine is utterly ridiculous and makes for inconvenient use (Annoying to have to almost need a third hand just to index a bloody turret) :roll:
The overall Quality also has taken a swan dive. Managed to need to replace two new computers that were only 3 months old and Station 8 doesn't ever index properly on 6 new machines in the Factory. Sh*te encoders.
Sorry.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 7,025
Location: Alberta, Canada

11 Feb 2014, 11:04 pm

Drehmaschine wrote:
I try not to type about my interests too much because it would probably annoy people who are more interested in their interests, but I do have to bring up one thing:

Ever since DMG and Mori collaborated, it seems they have some sort of fetish for possibilities of people injuring themselves by being idiots. Seriously, the amount of mechanisms in place to keep people from *possibly* placing hands near/in machine is utterly ridiculous and makes for inconvenient use (Annoying to have to almost need a third hand just to index a bloody turret) :roll:
The overall Quality also has taken a swan dive. Managed to need to replace two new computers that were only 3 months old and Station 8 doesn't ever index properly on 6 new machines in the Factory. Sh*te encoders.
Sorry.


What kind of machinery are you talking about? It actually sounds pretty interesting. :D



Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 781
Location: Bundesrepublik Deutschland

13 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Drehmaschine wrote:
I try not to type about my interests too much because it would probably annoy people who are more interested in their interests, but I do have to bring up one thing:

Ever since DMG and Mori collaborated, it seems they have some sort of fetish for possibilities of people injuring themselves by being idiots. Seriously, the amount of mechanisms in place to keep people from *possibly* placing hands near/in machine is utterly ridiculous and makes for inconvenient use (Annoying to have to almost need a third hand just to index a bloody turret) :roll:
The overall Quality also has taken a swan dive. Managed to need to replace two new computers that were only 3 months old and Station 8 doesn't ever index properly on 6 new machines in the Factory. Sh*te encoders.
Sorry.


What kind of machinery are you talking about? It actually sounds pretty interesting. :D

CNC Lathes (and Mills) This issue concerns CNC Lathes, though.



mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Age: 29
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 7,025
Location: Alberta, Canada

14 Feb 2014, 2:56 am

Drehmaschine wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Drehmaschine wrote:
I try not to type about my interests too much because it would probably annoy people who are more interested in their interests, but I do have to bring up one thing:

Ever since DMG and Mori collaborated, it seems they have some sort of fetish for possibilities of people injuring themselves by being idiots. Seriously, the amount of mechanisms in place to keep people from *possibly* placing hands near/in machine is utterly ridiculous and makes for inconvenient use (Annoying to have to almost need a third hand just to index a bloody turret) :roll:
The overall Quality also has taken a swan dive. Managed to need to replace two new computers that were only 3 months old and Station 8 doesn't ever index properly on 6 new machines in the Factory. Sh*te encoders.
Sorry.


What kind of machinery are you talking about? It actually sounds pretty interesting. :D

CNC Lathes (and Mills) This issue concerns CNC Lathes, though.


I know that CNC mills cut things out of sheet metal, so I'm guessing that a CNC lathe would carve out a spinning block or cylinder of metal, am I right?