Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm

So if you're familiar with any of my past posts, I've suspected for a few years that I might have Asperger's, but don't have the best relationship with my parents and assumed they would laugh in my face or write me off if I mentioned being evaluated. So I've just continued wondering and being eternally confused and struggling in my social life, all while coming on WrongPlanet and constantly identifying with things I see here and in the online tests and in symptom overviews of ASD and being sad that I'll never actually find out.

Well, today I was texting my dad about whether or not I should join a college honor society jus tot have on my resume. And was basically like, Yes it shows employers that you can handle leadership and work with people. that sort of thing worked for me in spite of what I think is my Asperger's.

He mentioned one time ago in passing that he thought might have it, but I assumed he had just read some very basic information and thought that since he hated everyone he might have it. But it was surprising that he mentioned it again. So I asked if he actually thinks he has it, because I've wanted to get evaluated for a while.

Just like that. I asked him about it in a casual text.

And he's super gung-ho for me to get evaluated. He's encouraging me to find someone near my uni to see.

I literally just started bawling when he said that. I can finally find out.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Aw! That is great news that your Dad is supporting you.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

-Tries to withstand jealousy...>.>

In all seriousness that's absolutely fantastic. Good luck and may you have a proper and satisfactory evaluation.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 1:35 pm

What a great post 8) Thanks for sharing that, and all the best to you both.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

That's great! I'm trying to think of how to tell my dad I think I have AS. We're so much alike that if I do, it's a safe bet that he does too. We can be in the same house all weekend and only say a few words to each other.

I'm wondering if I do tell him, I should mention that he also has a lot of aspie traits.... Though if he does read up on it, he'd probably figure it out himself.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2014, 2:03 pm

Yay! XD

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
That's great! I'm trying to think of how to tell my dad I think I have AS. We're so much alike that if I do, it's a safe bet that he does too. We can be in the same house all weekend and only say a few words to each other.

I'm wondering if I do tell him, I should mention that he also has a lot of aspie traits.... Though if he does read up on it, he'd probably figure it out himself.

Or perhaps he already started, suspecting that both you and he are affected by if, and that's why he was so receptive to the idea of you being evaluated. :wink:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:24 pm

Basso53 wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:

Or perhaps he already started, suspecting that both you and he are affected by if, and that's why he was so receptive to the idea of you being evaluated. :wink:

Unless I'm missing something, I think you mistook my post with the original post. :?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

Double post

Last edited by jetbuilder on 01 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

Bravo! I'm super happy for you! :bounce:

jly88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm

That's awesome! Both of my parents were really supportive with my diagnosis, but sometimes I wish one of them was on the spectrum themselves so that they could truly "get it". You're really lucky to have a parent who both supports you AND knows what it's like, because as supportive as my parents are it feels sometimes like we live on two separate planets...

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:55 pm

RikkiK wrote:
So if you're familiar with any of my past posts, I've suspected for a few years that I might have Asperger's, but don't have the best relationship with my parents and assumed they would laugh in my face or write me off if I mentioned being evaluated. So I've just continued wondering and being eternally confused and struggling in my social life, all while coming on WrongPlanet and constantly identifying with things I see here and in the online tests and in symptom overviews of ASD and being sad that I'll never actually find out.

Well, today I was texting my dad about whether or not I should join a college honor society jus tot have on my resume. And was basically like, Yes it shows employers that you can handle leadership and work with people. that sort of thing worked for me in spite of what I think is my Asperger's.

He mentioned one time ago in passing that he thought might have it, but I assumed he had just read some very basic information and thought that since he hated everyone he might have it. But it was surprising that he mentioned it again. So I asked if he actually thinks he has it, because I've wanted to get evaluated for a while.

Just like that. I asked him about it in a casual text.

And he's super gung-ho for me to get evaluated. He's encouraging me to find someone near my uni to see.

I literally just started bawling when he said that. I can finally find out.
Wow. That is so cool. That really is awesome. I am so happy for you. That is HUGE!

Wreck It Ralph

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 9:06 pm

Awesome. I'm happy for you. A supportive dad is like the best thing ever.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Basso53 wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, I think you mistook my post with the original post. :?

Sometimes I click the wrong quote box. Or more commonly lose track of who said what. :wink:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

Thank you all! I'm so happy!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

That's very good news. My heart feels happy for you. :)