Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 2:59 pm

I don't like ovens, I don't like microwaves, I don't like washing machines or tumble dryers. They all scare me. I think one is going to blow up or go on fire and I don't like the noises microwaves make, or the sparks ovens make when you're trying to light the hobs (the top pieces on the oven to heat saucepans)

I think I'm pathetic for it.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm

No, you are not pathetic. We all have things we don't like.

I don't like chemicals, such as bleach...it makes me wheeze.

I don't own a microwave nor a tumble dryer.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

You're not alone, I'm just as pathetic! I hate the dryer , the freezer ( because when it makes ice it sounds like the world is caving in-it's so bloody loud and I HATE the heater (which makes an on and off buzzing noise and comes on suddenly when I'm not expecting it and startles me) with a passion . I'm playing loud music and have ear plugs in to drown out the dryer right now.

:

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

Wind wrote:
I don't like ovens, I don't like microwaves, I don't like washing machines or tumble dryers. They all scare me. I think one is going to blow up or go on fire and I don't like the noises microwaves make, or the sparks ovens make when you're trying to light the hobs (the top pieces on the oven to heat saucepans)

Does that cause problems for you, such as are you frightened to do certain things or go into certain rooms?

They do make life easier. How do you cook your food if you don't like ovens or microwaves?

I think cognitive behavioral therapy (exposure) could help you get over that really fast, but if you don't feel it's causing problems, maybe you don't need to get over it.

jly88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Feb 2014, 4:10 pm

My sensory issues go off the wall whenever I hear a blender or a mixer- something about cacophonous, high-pitched noises I think.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:15 pm

I'm laughing at myself here. Even though I'm rational, appliances also drive me nuts. I don't mind microwaves, but I have the beeping. I have to really prepare before using a blender.

The sparks with the stove top are normal, but I always get the "It's gonna blow up!" feeling when I light one.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

I'm afraid of microwaves, since having a bad experience, but I'm slowly learning to trust them again.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

wozeree wrote:
Wind wrote:

Does that cause problems for you, such as are you frightened to do certain things or go into certain rooms?

They do make life easier. How do you cook your food if you don't like ovens or microwaves?

I think cognitive behavioral therapy (exposure) could help you get over that really fast, but if you don't feel it's causing problems, maybe you don't need to get over it.

I have already done DBT which is CBT + Mindfulness. Hasn't helped for sensory stuff and those kind of fears, as they aren't really irrational.

I still cook with them and use them, my stomach just does twists and turns when they're on, like when you're looking down from a height and you get a weird feeling in your stomach.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 4:35 pm

Blenders make a godawful racket, but I don't muck about in the kitchen enough to use one. Washing machines can be a pain when they unexpectedly begin leaking, but usually they're okay - mine has a rusty foot on it, so it's slightly off balance and rattles like thunder when it hits spin mode. The oven thumps loudly when it's hot, from the expansion of the metal walls popping, but I always double-check it before I go anywhere, lest I leave something on that could cause a fire.

My biggest mechanist nightmare is cars. I know how to jump a battery, but I'm paranoid as hell about getting near those cables. I know they can only shock you if you grab them both while grounded, yada, yada, but I hate having to touch the thing at all.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

Wind wrote:

I'm afraid of plugging things in. There have been many times where when plugging things in I see a spark or hear a brief buzz as it goes in and it upsets me. I get my mother to do it for me and avoid it if I can.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm

*chants* DOWN WITH APPLIANCES! DOWN WITH APPLIANCES!
DEATH TO DRYERS!

No, I'm just kidding. Appliances are useful even though they are bloody annoying and loud. I don't want to wash and dry my clothes by hand, for example. I'm much too lazy to live without appliances.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 6:36 pm

Wow... I like appliances.... I like their sounds too.... The freezer and fridge in particular have a lot noises that are rather entertaining. When I'm alone, they're almost like company with all those sounds. :)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

Wind wrote:

I hate fire and so will have nothing to do with gas stoves and ovens that don't self-light. (Not too crazy about the self-lighting ones, either.)

I like warm/hot food, and so my microwave is one of my best friends. (I often shut it off at "one second to go", tho', because I hate the beeping it makes to tell you it's done.)

I also like clean clothes so washers and dryers...you gotta have them. (I'm not made of money, so no sending stuff out to be laundered.)

The noise at the laundromat is horrible, but I have no other way to wash and dry my clothes.

You're not pathetic. You're just more noise sensitive, and likely as fire-hateful as me. (If you actually can light the stove sometimes, you're well in advance of me, and I know I'll never catch up.)

One thing that might help is if you consider the odds-
How many people get hurt or die from an exploding microwave or washer, dryer, or oven that's being used correctly?

Essentially zero chance.

No, considering the odds won't help me with the fire thing. :) The fire is still what it is and it makes no difference how many people use it safely, It's still too hot and can burn you. Too traumatic for me to deal with.

Hmmm...

Maybe the same with you and machines? Goes beyond logic?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2014, 10:27 pm

Throughout my childhood, and maybe most of my teens also. I had an irrational and intense phobia of malfunctioning appliances.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm

I have a phobia of computer errors. I know it's a dumb thing to be afraid of because the computer isn't going to hurt me unless someone throws it at me. I am also afraid of overflowing toilets.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:17 am

Unlike the typical aspie I'm not good at fixing things, in fact I'm crap with anything technical or mechanical and so is my mum with whom I live. So I do fear appliances malfunctioning because I wouldn't be able able to do anything about it and my mum would have to pay a fortune to have it fixed. Also, it'd mean a person coming over to fix it. Before I was only thinking about my aversion to the noises some appliances make , which is a very strong aversion but come to think of it I have more than one reason to hate appliances.