Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:25 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

He was a young man. What a shame. What a waste. And all because of the goddamned dope.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
he had 3 kids. why did he have to do it?

He was a drug-user -- that's what drug-users do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

It's weird I was watching "Along came Polly" and switched to the news to see he had just died??

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 12:52 am

I guess as the old roman fella said, "there is no greatness unaccompanied by a tincture of madness."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 1:00 am

Willard wrote:
It actually pisses me off when people with that much to offer (like Heath Ledger), deprive the world of their talent by getting dead for no good reason.

Yes, so selfish of them to die before we'd ceased to be entertained by them.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2014, 9:56 am

Gutted. Regardless of whatever personal problems he may have had, he was a very fine actor.

My guess is that - as with most heroin OD victims - he'd been clean for some time but decided he'd have one last shot, and that because his tolerance wasn't what it used to be when he had a full-blown habit, his system couldn't take it.

Very sad, however it happened.

Last edited by Bustduster on 03 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
Willard wrote:
It actually pisses me off when people with that much to offer (like Heath Ledger), deprive the world of their talent by getting dead for no good reason.

Yes, so selfish of them to die before we'd ceased to be entertained by them.

IDK I've always thought that it might be better to go out while your on the top of your game or, even better just starting your rise. I mean isn't fat Elvis kind of a disappointment?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:40 pm

Rakshasa72 wrote:
IDK I've always thought that it might be better to go out while your on the top of your game or, even better just starting your rise. I mean isn't fat Elvis kind of a disappointment?

Kind of the same as my last comment, that seems to be putting more importance on the fan's feelings about the celebrity in question rather than on the celebrity's own wants and needs. I'm sure Elvis would have preferred to live out his life, fat and past his prime or not, as would PSH and Heath Ledger and a host of other celebrities who died young. I'm also a bit annoyed at the way this is being spun regarding his drug use and the "waste", as someone engaging in an equally dangerous but more socially acceptable pastime and died wouldn't be getting that particular line of judgment.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 3:50 pm

RIP Mr. Hoffman. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

I feel sorry for his kids.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:12 pm

Three kids, geeze.

If maintenance drugs (without any BS being required, which can scare people away) can prevent this kind of thing then I don't care about any moral arguments. Do it for the kids.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:15 pm

basically he screwed up.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Rakshasa72 wrote:

Kind of the same as my last comment, that seems to be putting more importance on the fan's feelings about the celebrity in question rather than on the celebrity's own wants and needs. I'm sure Elvis would have preferred to live out his life, fat and past his prime or not, as would PSH and Heath Ledger and a host of other celebrities who died young. I'm also a bit annoyed at the way this is being spun regarding his drug use and the "waste", as someone engaging in an equally dangerous but more socially acceptable pastime and died wouldn't be getting that particular line of judgment.

There are very few things as dangerous as heroin. Even experienced users can die from a minor variation in set or setting.

You only chase the dragon until he's ready to eat you.

RIP PSH.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 11:25 pm

this person of considerably fewer gifts can't help feeling that he threw 'em all away.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:01 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Rakshasa72 wrote:

There are very few things as dangerous as heroin. Even experienced users can die from a minor variation in set or setting.

You only chase the dragon until he's ready to eat you.

RIP PSH.

You have to wonder how a heroin addict like William Burroughs had survived into his eighties, only to die from complications from a heart attack.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

^^^ The psychology/pathology behind heroin addiction is really fascinating.

The experience of addicts returning from Vietnam is worth some research for anybody interested in the disease of addiction.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01 ... bad-habits