occasional anxiety over doing embarrassing things in past

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Future_Perfect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

lostsoul87 wrote:
Future_Perfect wrote:
I still dwell on a lot of stupid things I did in primary school, particularly moments where I thought I was being smart or cool but it massively backfired.

I know it's irrational to worry about these things because they don't affect anything any more, but that doesn't make it go away. I think the best thing to do is to just ignore or forget about them, because overthinking will get you nowhere.

what is primary school? Is that similar to american highschool?

Primary school is the UK equivalent of elementary school.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 12:01 pm

Yes, I have about 5-6 episodes each day of recalling past faux pas.

Fortunately, these days rather than ruminate on them they each last about 5 seconds. I can usually dispel them by saying something to myself like:

"Oops! Oh well, I did the best that I could at that time."

It is helpful to then make a mental note of how I might avoid doing that again in future.

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2014, 5:14 am

I do this all the time and it sometimes keeps me up at night. To get rid of them and try and ignore them I do things like: put my head in a pillow and scream, splash cold water on my face, slap my face and also close my eyes and make a mental image of my brain being swept with a brush so the bad thoughts get swept away, while making a "swoosh" noise.

a_dork wrote:
-When I was fifteen, I had developed a new interest in sex and childbirth. My mom was a nice enough woman, but she'd always tell me the same story about my birth (it was long and painful). Since I wanted a more, can we say, informative take on what sex and childbirth were like, I'd ask any reasonably intelligent woman I knew extremely invasive questions. I think the best one was, "How much did it hurt to give birth to your child?" :wall:

Well people on the ASD do like collecting facts don't they? Imagining you doing that, is just.. hilarious. I don't know how bad it is though - I think women love talking about childbirth.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

I do this constantly and it makes me feel horrible. I really do try to stop but it's hard. It got easier when I was on Prozac (helped control my obsessive thought) but I'm not on any medication now and I prefer it that way, (I feel much better in general).

However, I constantly relive embarrassing and stupid things that I have done in the past. Especially stuff that happened in the last 4 years. I did a looooot of stupid things.
I was addicted to k2, weed and DXM from 18-20, but I didn't do TOO many stupid things directly related to that but there were a few things. 99% of my painful and embarrassing memories stems from the horrible relationship I had at the time where she was psychologically abusive and treated me like sh!t.

Then from 20-21, after successfully quitting the use of those three drugs, I abstained from drug use but then became a raging alcoholic. Now I have humiliating and embarrassing moments of me crying, raging at people, breaking stuff.. and God knows what else I did in that state, most of which I don't even want to know.
I used to wander around the dorms drunk, pounding on my friends' doors. I'd pass out in countless friends' bathrooms. One time I even peed on the carpeted floor in my dorm room (and I had a roommate) and then passed out with my pants down in the puddle of piss only to be woken up by my attractive female RA the next day.

I try to forget about all those things by telling myself that everyone does stupid, embarrassing things and at least I don't see any of those people anymore. And to make matters better I'm moving thousands of miles away to a new state in about a month so I'll DEFINITELY never be seeing any of those people again.
Now I get to meet a whole new bunch of people.. Those of which will never know that raging alcoholic side of me since I've now stopped all use of drugs and alcohol. I stopped drinking exactly 11 months ago and stopped k2, DXM and weed almost 2 years ago now.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

MadeUnderground wrote:
Now I get to meet a whole new bunch of people.. Those of which will never know that raging alcoholic side of me.

Congrats on the opportunity for a social fresh start! If I understand the timeline correctly, the move will be around the time of your first anniversary - awesome.