occasional anxiety over doing embarrassing things in past

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2014, 1:42 am

I think this is the right subforum for this topic... Anyways, this happen to anyone else? Sometimes I beat myself up over incredibly stupid things I have done in the past. To give an example, once at a talent show at my highschool I tried to show my "talent", and I just ended up making a fool out of myself in front of the entire school. I dont feel inclined to elaborate, but nonetheless it was pretty bad. These days I tend to think more carefully about what I say and what I do and how people will realistically perceive it so I don't do as many embarrassing things, but still I have to live with memories of stupid stuff I did in the past. Its like an unhealing wound. Anyways, anybody else care to share their major social faux pas?

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2014, 6:46 am

Oh man...lately, I've been ruminating over my past social failures so much that I could say it's my new interest. I don't think one post can cover everything, so I'm just gonna tell you this gem:

-When I was fifteen, I had developed a new interest in sex and childbirth. My mom was a nice enough woman, but she'd always tell me the same story about my birth (it was long and painful). Since I wanted a more, can we say, informative take on what sex and childbirth were like, I'd ask any reasonably intelligent woman I knew extremely invasive questions. I think the best one was, "How much did it hurt to give birth to your child?" :wall:

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 7:29 am

I do this, but try not to. Because if someone else does it, I would say, honestly, that whatever they did that they are embarrassed about does not matter to me and isn't and wasn't that big a deal.

I think this comes from having to think so hard about how to interact in order to try to make social things work. Creates a lot of anxiety about what was done wrong.

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2014, 8:39 am

I remember a time years ago I had been reading something really interesting about some new technology.
That evening I bored 6 people absolutely senseless when I droned on and on about the very intricate technical details of it at dinner. I had no idea I was even being boring until I realised a few days later.

Another time I did something similar but my obsession of the moment was volcanoes. So I went on and on about them. I think I might have had an inkling in the back of my mind that I was not making friends by doing it, but at the time I was so obsessed with volcanoes that once I started talking about them I could not stop.

I cringe when I think about those nights.

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

a_dork wrote:
Oh man...lately, I've been ruminating over my past social failures so much that I could say it's my new interest. I don't think one post can cover everything, so I'm just gonna tell you this gem:

-When I was fifteen, I had developed a new interest in sex and childbirth. My mom was a nice enough woman, but she'd always tell me the same story about my birth (it was long and painful). Since I wanted a more, can we say, informative take on what sex and childbirth were like, I'd ask any reasonably intelligent woman I knew extremely invasive questions. I think the best one was, "How much did it hurt to give birth to your child?" :wall:

wow I would love to trade embarrassing experiences with you, at least yours was on a small scale! :)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 1:05 pm

I can't say I get "anxious" over past events....but if I think too much about some things, they can make me freak out...like a mini-seizure. I find it easier that once I start thinking to much about something that will put be down that path to force myself to focus on something else to derail the train of thought.

AlienOfRightPlanet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2014, 11:36 am

It happens to everyone. Depression wasn't fun for me over the past. It's not worth looking back and making it change your present and future. Just keep moving forward.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2014, 4:41 pm

Before I got sick I used to have a nearly 100% perfect memory retention of every kind.
I got embarrassed very easily and re-lived the embarrassments frequently.
Eventually I developed an anxiety disorder that causes amnesia, possibly called hysterical amnesia.
It locks away chunks of my memories related to anxiety, but much more than just the embarrassing moments!
My grades went from A's down to D's by 5th grade, and I basically started un-learning everything I learned over my life, even skills.

I still remember hundreds of embarrassing moments in my life, but thinking about them triggers my amnesia, so it's best that I don't.

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2014, 10:30 pm

KWifler wrote:
Before I got sick I used to have a nearly 100% perfect memory retention of every kind.
I got embarrassed very easily and re-lived the embarrassments frequently.
Eventually I developed an anxiety disorder that causes amnesia, possibly called hysterical amnesia.
It locks away chunks of my memories related to anxiety, but much more than just the embarrassing moments!
My grades went from A's down to D's by 5th grade, and I basically started un-learning everything I learned over my life, even skills.

I still remember hundreds of embarrassing moments in my life, but thinking about them triggers my amnesia, so it's best that I don't.

oh wow. that sounds pretty severe

Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 2:56 am

I don't feel it's necessary to elaborate but I've definitely had my fair share of embarrassing moments as a result of horrid social skills - we all have.

I get shivers thinking about most of them and I'm ashamed of myself for being such an idiot sometimes. But we learn from trial and error. I have a disability that basically states I have horrid social skills, I just have to accept it for what it is, learn from my mistakes and do my best to not repeat them. Living a reserved lifestyle as a result of my disability sounds like a horrible life to live.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

Yes, all the time. Just lately I've found myself dwelling on a lot of things I done in the past, and I worry that others might still remember it, even if it was many years ago and I haven't seen them since.

I remember when I was about 15 I beat up a boy from my school (who I didn't know) when I was walking home from school. He was walking up close behind me with his mate, and I kept feeling him touching my bum. I turned round and asked what he was doing, but he sort of giggled, and carried on doing it. Then suddenly I lashed out and started hitting him and pushing him. I didn't exactly hurt him, but he still was not expecting that, and I kind of showed myself up. The boy got upset after that. Luckily he didn't seem to recognise me in school. But I was going through a rough time at school when I was aged 15-16 (my last year of school). I was having bitchy arguments with my friends in school, and had a lot of studying and coursework to do to get prepared for my final exams which was causing stress (it does in most teenagers). And I was fed up with being at school and being teased or targeted here and there by random kids who didn't even know me, and I just got to the point where I had enough. But even to this day (nearly 8 years later) I still feel sorry for that boy, even though I haven't seen him since and he's most probably forgotten about it. I wish I hadn't laid into him like that. Fighting is not me, so I don't know why I did it.

I think I have the most memories I regret during my teenage years. I think it's because I took more trial and error risks because I was learning and converting from the child world into the adult world. I think that is common in most teenagers, though. That is why teenagers sometimes seem so cruel or intimidating. It's just their hormones, and they are going through the same as what I went through. So I shouldn't keep feeling too ashamed of stupid things I done as a teenager.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:58 pm

This is one of those things it doesn't matter if your NT or AS, it happens. I just try to learn from them and move on.

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2014, 4:05 am

886 wrote:
I don't feel it's necessary to elaborate but I've definitely had my fair share of embarrassing moments as a result of horrid social skills - we all have.

I get shivers thinking about most of them and I'm ashamed of myself for being such an idiot sometimes. But we learn from trial and error. I have a disability that basically states I have horrid social skills, I just have to accept it for what it is, learn from my mistakes and do my best to not repeat them. Living a reserved lifestyle as a result of my disability sounds like a horrible life to live.

yeah I agree, you live and you learn. Still...I go crazy sometimes wishing that I was as socially adjusted back then as I was now, I could have avoided doing so many stupid things...

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2014, 4:08 am

Joe90 wrote:
Yes, all the time. Just lately I've found myself dwelling on a lot of things I done in the past, and I worry that others might still remember it, even if it was many years ago and I haven't seen them since.

I remember when I was about 15 I beat up a boy from my school (who I didn't know) when I was walking home from school. He was walking up close behind me with his mate, and I kept feeling him touching my bum. I turned round and asked what he was doing, but he sort of giggled, and carried on doing it. Then suddenly I lashed out and started hitting him and pushing him. I didn't exactly hurt him, but he still was not expecting that, and I kind of showed myself up. The boy got upset after that. Luckily he didn't seem to recognise me in school. But I was going through a rough time at school when I was aged 15-16 (my last year of school). I was having bitchy arguments with my friends in school, and had a lot of studying and coursework to do to get prepared for my final exams which was causing stress (it does in most teenagers). And I was fed up with being at school and being teased or targeted here and there by random kids who didn't even know me, and I just got to the point where I had enough. But even to this day (nearly 8 years later) I still feel sorry for that boy, even though I haven't seen him since and he's most probably forgotten about it. I wish I hadn't laid into him like that. Fighting is not me, so I don't know why I did it.

I think I have the most memories I regret during my teenage years. I think it's because I took more trial and error risks because I was learning and converting from the child world into the adult world. I think that is common in most teenagers, though. That is why teenagers sometimes seem so cruel or intimidating. It's just their hormones, and they are going through the same as what I went through. So I shouldn't keep feeling too ashamed of stupid things I done as a teenager.

yeah, most of the memories I regret were during my teenage years too. Although the thing that bothers me is that I never saw anybody else doing as stupid stuff as I did. I mean I really took the cake for just being a complete dumbass. Imagine having a friend who is attention hungry, annoying, weird, and always embarrasses himself in front of big groups of people as well as small groups, yeah I was THAT guy. Some of the stupid stuff I did, its almost so dumb that its not even funny anymore to anyone watching, its just really really really strange and uncomfortable. Like watching a train crash or something. (IE when I made a complete fool of myself at a school talent show trying my hardest to show off.)

Future_Perfect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2014, 6:25 pm

I still dwell on a lot of stupid things I did in primary school, particularly moments where I thought I was being smart or cool but it massively backfired.

I know it's irrational to worry about these things because they don't affect anything any more, but that doesn't make it go away. I think the best thing to do is to just ignore or forget about them, because overthinking will get you nowhere.

lostsoul87
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm

Future_Perfect wrote:
I still dwell on a lot of stupid things I did in primary school, particularly moments where I thought I was being smart or cool but it massively backfired.

I know it's irrational to worry about these things because they don't affect anything any more, but that doesn't make it go away. I think the best thing to do is to just ignore or forget about them, because overthinking will get you nowhere.

what is primary school? Is that similar to american highschool?