(UK) Got my date through for initial NHS assessment

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2014, 10:10 am

Got an appointment for next Wedsnesday (12th Feb) for the initial appointment where they apparently decide whether to refer you for the full assessment.

I'm taking my sister with me, also I'll print out the test results I've got and take my copy of "Aspergirls" with me.

Can anyone tell me what sort of thing to expect? I'm trying not to worry but that's easier said than done...

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 11:31 am

Hiya, I had my assessment for Asperger's last April.

I was worried beforehand, but it was very straightforward and there was nothing to worry about. I went on my own as I don't want anyone else to know that I have problems. I always hide my problems from everybody.

Since the assessment I have had three or four hour-long sessions with a psychologist and a further session with a psychiatrist.

My diagnosis is still not complete and I am currently awaiting further appointments, though I have been sent a letter stating that, they think, I do have Asperger's Syndrome & ADD & that in their view I should be on a particular benefit ( I can't remember which one ) rather than JSA.

In summary - there is nothing to worry about.

By the way, I am about your age. I will be 44 at the end of this month.

Last edited by MirrorWars on 04 Feb 2014, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

MirrorWars:

You said you went on your own...I am waiting an assessment but don't want my family there, did they make you take yours?

Schnozzle, hope everything goes well!

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

In my case they said that they would rather I took somebody with me, but it wasn't a deal breaker if I couldn't.

I told them that I wouldn't be taking anyone with me at any point during the process.

I simply don't want anyone to know.

They seem to be okay with it.

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2014, 11:37 am

Thanks guys.

Main reason I'm taking my sis is because I'm very high functioning and have learned to compensate for a lot of the problems I have, although there are still some that crop up and cause trouble from time to time. My sis remembers how "black and white" I was when I was younger, and how awful my dress sense was, among other things.

I think if I went on my own, I'd be worried that they wouldn't see past the smart, well spoken professional as I don't think they're that used to dealing with the high functioning end of the spectrum, and especially not with women.

I'll update when I have any news. Fingers crossed!

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

You'll be fine then, by the sound of things.

I speak well, too.

But by the time I'd finished, leaving no stone unturned, they were in agreement with me about the Asperger's thing. Plus, after asking me some questions they told me that I have ADD, which I was unaware of until then.

It makes perfect sense though.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:24 pm

I'm from the US so it might not be exactly the same, but I had my initial intake evaluation today and it was very simple. The diagnostician started out by reading me the "psychology Miranda rights", ie, "This is what you can expect from assessment, rules about confidentiality, etc.", then she had me fill out a few consent forms and forms allowing her to contact my parents for more information about me, then spent the rest of the hour asking me about my symptoms. We went over social, emotional, physical, sensory, pretty much everything. I was really nervous all day because I didn't know what was going to happen, but it really wasn't so bad. I'm set to take my first proper assessment in two weeks. It might help if you compiled an organised list of past and present symptoms for the doctor to look at between your intake interview and your first assessment; that's what I did, it took three or four days to put together, but it's very comprehensive.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

schnozzles
Raven
Raven

17 Feb 2014, 9:21 am

Was really straightforward in the end. He asked why I wanted the assessment so I explained about some of my issues with inflexibility, sensory input (textures, noise), frustration at not understanding things, facial expressions etc. I've got some forms to fill in and then there'll probably be a full half day assessment. So at least he didn't immediately turn me away because I was smart and well spoken!

Wishing I hadn't taken my sister as she was as far from supportive as she could be - she's basically decided that I've Googled "Aspergers" and decided I've got it based on a whim, and that it's actually just a bunch of insecurities resulting from PTSD. Whereas yes, some of the insecurities are based on trauma, but the trauma in turn was often caused by the other issues. For example being bullied because I was gullible and lacked tact and subtlety led to trauma which completely eroded my trust in people. So she's missing a step. Am now considering withdrawing my consent for them to ask her questions. Got therapy on Thurs so will see what she says but I'm really upset with my sis at the moment! Grrrr.

Thankfully my partner is being really supportive, which makes a huge difference, as is work.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 2:35 pm

Can't you have a word with her ( your sister ) beforehand?

Ask her to "tow the line" a bit.

My sister would have done the same as yours has.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

Anyone who isn't considering (or even willing to listen to) the facts shouldn't be allowed to have a say in any of this.

It just goes without saying.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".