Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 1:50 am

Does anybody else sometimes topple over or almost topple when they are getting dressed? It's extremely difficult for me to put on pants or socks or shoes, but the hardest part by far is when I am putting an item of clothes over my head and my eyesight get blocked from it, I get a moment of sheer disorientation and start teetering. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself - should probably sit down!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 1:53 am

You should sit down when you put them on. That is probably why some people put their pants on and socks and shoes as they sit.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 1:56 am

haha, i have fallen many times while getting dressed, lots of bruises

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:58 am

am physicaly helped to put most clothes on because cannot do them by self, but with socks am able to put them on and usualy will sit down on the bed to do it.
why risk falling over? thats what furniture is there for...that and to stub toes on ocasionaly.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:04 am

unfortunately I don't need to be getting dressed to lose balance, if I stand still for long without moving or leaning on something I will lose my balance completely. I cant put one foot in front of the other either, you know like to show your not drunk, so I would fail that test sober :)

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

Yeah, add me to the list. It's been a long time since I saw the list but I seem to remember that being clumsy and/or a lack of balance is one of the symptoms of being an aspie. One other thing, I also seem to be slower when getting changed at the gym, other people have walked in and got their kit on before I'm ready to hit the gym floor.

Eccles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:18 am

That used to happen to my a lot. I just sit while dressing the lower half of my body now.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

I wobble. I sit down for socks but not for trousers. It's the standing on one leg. Perhaps I should go back to practicing yoga with some balance exercises.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

I definitely have trouble with balance when getting my pants, underwear, and socks on. I also almost fall over when I close my eyes in the shower.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:21 pm

Yes! Every now and then I fall over when I put on my underwear or my pants. I usually sit when I am putting socks on because I usually put lotion on my feet right before I put on my socks. fortunately we get dressed in the closet, we made our tiniest bedroom into a walk in closet, and it is narrow enough that if you topple over you don't actually fall to the ground because you will hit a dresser on either side and they will support you so you don't actually fall. But I do topple more than most I think. I stub my toes a lot too!

Funny thing is that my balance on skis is excellent. Yesterday I was even doing one footed ski drills where I ski down the slope only on one ski while holding the other up in the air the whole way. My balance on a bike is very good too even when I am on the BMX track and in the water while swimming technically I have very good balance as well. And I am learning to rollerblade and doing pretty well with that also. But sometimes doing something as simple as putting on pants or just walking around or sometimes just standing still, I can topple over. It's possible that my balance improves greatly with movement.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 05 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
am physicaly helped to put most clothes on because cannot do them by self, but with socks am able to put them on and usualy will sit down on the bed to do it.
why risk falling over? thats what furniture is there for...that and to stub toes on ocasionaly.

As dumb as it is, you might not believe that it didn't occur to me to sit down until I was typing the OP. Duh!

PS I miss the Rooster, but like the kitty!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:27 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
Yeah, add me to the list. It's been a long time since I saw the list but I seem to remember that being clumsy and/or a lack of balance is one of the symptoms of being an aspie. One other thing, I also seem to be slower when getting changed at the gym, other people have walked in and got their kit on before I'm ready to hit the gym floor.

Eccles
I am slow when getting dressed too. I was always the last one ready to go in gym class.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:30 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
I definitely have trouble with balance when getting my pants, underwear, and socks on. I also almost fall over when I close my eyes in the shower.
I have toppled over in the shower a few times. Good thing we have a glass door. It has stopped my fall more than once.

Wreck It Ralph