Your Thoughts on this Satiric News Clip

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

I wonder who came up with the idea for the autistic reporter joke. I wonder if it was someone autistic.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

Sethno wrote:
wozeree wrote:
...The onion doesn't pick on people, the they just find humor in life...

They find their humor by laughing at people.

This makes sport of the problems many verbal autistics have with interacting with others.

I know it's meant to be a joke, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

It's like jokes about people of certain nationalities being drunks, criminals, or stupid.

They apparently pick on all kinds of people, tho'. That's at least something. Autistics aren't their only target.

The reason it doesn't bother me is that he talks about the same things we do here, just exaggerated. It really seem as though somebody there knows what Autism really is.

Ha - the one with the train - I would have been dying to ask the conductor if I could drive it and I'm not even obsessed with trains. The guy is likable and he's pointing out humor of Autism as well as the nonsensical aspects of society itself.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 2:54 pm

I thought it was pretty funny!

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 7:20 pm

For those who don't watch Onion videos much, they do a lot of research when writing their stuff. It might be satire, but most of it is truer then the real news.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 7:29 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I discovered this news clip from The Onion today (which means it's obviously fake and intended to be funny) and am curious as to your thoughts on it. I personally did find it quite amusing, though I wonder if it will have an impact on the way NTs see us.

http://www.theonion.com/video/autistic- ... opl,18983/

This is a funny clip and yes it is over the top but it is satire. :D

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:13 pm

Sethno wrote:
This makes sport of the problems many verbal autistics have with interacting with others.

I know it's meant to be a joke, but it makes me feel uncomfortable.

It's true that some of the shallow gags are just "he talks funny lol". But there's usually some deeper gag where the autistic reporter shows positive traits, and ends up seeming like the hero of the story. If you look at the Youtube comments, most of them are saying something along the lines of "I love this guy, I wish he existed in real life so he could cut through all the nonsense in news stories!"

Overall? I think it could be a lot worse.

Last edited by Declension on 05 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

Oh, it's great! I love that character. I've seen him on Law and Order before too. He played a small part, had maybe two or three lines. He was a lab tech in it. I wonder what else he's done.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com