salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:34 am

Stannis wrote:
Shau wrote:
Stannis wrote:
If your religion is making you miserable, you can leave it, you know. :D

Maybe he, like me, isn't the type to stop believing in something just because it causes oneself suffering. I'd rather hold onto a painful truth than a blissful lie.

Me too. Happily, since theists have not been able to scientifically demonstrate, and subject to peer review, any of their god claims, there is no rational reason to think that any of those claims are true.

hahaha the thought of a GOD being subjected to empirical testing and peer review of the conclusions is hilarious! I am literally laughing out loud at the thought and image of this.
we are such small small creatures with the maddest delusions of grandeur. :lol:

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:43 am

Kurgan wrote:
- Hard work should be rewarded, and the hardworking person should be allowed to keep most of what he has earned
- Everyone should be entitled to shelter and medical care
- The capital punishment is wrong, with no exceptions
- Life in prison should mean life in prison
- Multi-billionaries could pay more in taxes
- The middle class should pay less in taxes
- TV stations, newspapers and so on should not get public funding
- The child protective services do not kidnap children. Not all parents are good parents
- Abortion after 12 weeks without a good reason is wrong
- A gun is a tool, not something that automatically turns you into a murderer. Therefore, gun rights should not be strict
- Countries with religion have higher moral standards than countries without
- There are many environmental hazzards that are far worse than global warming
- Polygamy should be legal
- Prostitution should be legal if it's regulated
- A welfare system should be in place for those who can't work, but abusing this system should be punished severly

I agree with most of these, however, I think government funded public broadcasting is important as as a means of exposing the population to high culture, and a wider spectrum of educated human thought than they tend to get from the commercial media. Commercial media outlets tend to dumb down so as to appeal to the widest possible market. I believe that at its heart, the anti tax payer funded broadcasting position is an anti-democratic one, because it generally results in a public with more stunted intellectual horizons. The BBC, for example, provides a lot of educational programming, which I don't think you would get from the commercial sector, or if you did, you would pay through the nose for it (thus limiting access to poor people), or it would be riddled with commercials which are antithetical to learning.

Last edited by Stannis on 06 Feb 2014, 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 8:47 am

salamandaqwerty wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Shau wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Maybe he, like me, isn't the type to stop believing in something just because it causes oneself suffering. I'd rather hold onto a painful truth than a blissful lie.

Me too. Happily, since theists have not been able to scientifically demonstrate, and subject to peer review, any of their god claims, there is no rational reason to think that any of those claims are true.

hahaha the thought of a GOD being subjected to empirical testing and peer review of the conclusions is hilarious! I am literally laughing out loud at the thought and image of this.

Is this sarcasm? :shrug:

Last edited by Stannis on 06 Feb 2014, 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

I believe that life was created and continues to evolve as a result of physical forces, combined with the influence of subconscious 'para-living' forces that create and transform reality in the same way that the mind creates illusions on hallucinogenic drugs, but much more slowly, and in a much more elaborate and complex way. They are 'brilliant' forces, but aren't sentient or living, in conventional terms. Physical forces and the 'trans-physical' forces, that I've described, are really one and the same, though they appear to be separate. The universe is in a dream state by default, rather than in a state of nothingness.

The afterlife consists of a world, similar to our own, but much more peaceful. The process of forming this world is very subjective, though the world itself has objective properties. Objects can have 'physical' properties there that are impossible here. Without the cultural or geographical boundaries of earth, many places look like amalgamated versions of different earth locations that are far separated from each other. Anyone can return from this world to visit earth in the form of a spirit. Many spirits choose to stay here to become "guardian angels", help to contain the world's instability, and bring earthbound spirits back to the spirit world.

It would take a very long time for me to explain how I arrived at these beliefs and what my reasoning behind them is. I don't intend to try to convert anyone to my beliefs because it would be extremely difficult. My beliefs can change over time, and I don't consider them to be factual, but this is what I believe at the moment.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 9:12 am

Stannis wrote:
salamandaqwerty wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Shau wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Is this sarcasm? :shrug:

No not at all.
I just found the thought funny. I had an image of GOD on a lab table being bombarded with tests by a bunch of mad scientists in white coats with overly serious faces. It is 3.00 am here and I have insomnia, my brain is not firing on all cylinders. just the ramblings of sleep deprived loon.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:23 pm

Stannis wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Some quips of my beliefs from my discussions here ...

Quote:
Benevolence is phony.

Have you been reading Ayn Rand? :roll:
Quote:
People are generally lazy, greedy, self-serving, possibly incompetent so no one can be trusted.

People are all of this, but they are also the opposite. :)

No. I never read Ayn Rand. I have not read many non-technical books. I have read hundreds of computer books.

Does Ayn Rand concur that "benevolence is phony" ?

That "Muhamdi Gandhi" and "Martin_Luther_King,_Jr." were just selfish people serving their own needs ?

It just seems obvious to me.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

Stannis wrote:
Not if the One who started it is your only hope for peace and joy in eternity. God loves everyone equally, but He also hates sin. Jesus is truly the only Redeemer, and He said that anyone not with Him is inherently against Him. There's no such thing as "maybe" with God; you're either all-in, or all-out. Jesus even said He'd rather people be completely detached from Him in this life, than be attempting any kind of fence-sitting position.

I have done some truly horrible things in my life, and I know I don't deserve one bit of grace from God...but He offers it anyway. As much as I struggle with receiving it, every new day is another chance to choose Him over myself. As an example, allow me to be blunt about one thing, okay?...

Even though I understand His reasons, I hate the fact that sex outside of marriage is wrong. I can't stand the distrust and jealousy that took root in my heart many years ago as the result of an ungodly relationship...but that's what happens when people sin against God and each other. I'm 33 years old, and 100% desperate for a Godly wife so I don't have to hold back anymore. Listening to my flesh got me into so much trouble; I'm free from my past now, and I am truly thankful to God for that...but this loneliness really does tear my heart up most days. I know sex isn't the foundation of marriage, but I've pursued it the wrong way...and the fallout I've experienced is something I'd never wish on anyone. Separating sex from love and commitment is completely against who I am; my sins in that regard were mostly from fear and desperation. I have a very tough time forgiving myself, because I honestly don't understand how that works. I will only have peace over this aspect of my life when I'm in a relationship where these desires honor God, and that means a faithful marriage with Him at the center. It is so much more than a piece of paper to me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 5:37 pm

Any religion that expresses the doctrine that "Women should remain silent in places of worship" while only men are permitted (and even encouraged) to speak during worship services is a religion that oppresses women. Any religion that encourages (end even enforces) segregation of job-related duties by sex is expressing sexist bigotry.

Religions are not above or apart from secular law, yet policies and practices prohibited by law in the workplace are permitted in places of worship.

I'm sure that the members of such a religion have all kinds of convoluted justifications for this, as well as many other archaic and oppressive doctrines.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

Crom!

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2014, 7:05 pm

We're born equal, and should be raised with as equal treatment and opportunity as possible.

If we scrape the froth off the tops of our cappuccinos, there will be more than enough for everyone.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 12:38 am

"Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values."
- Ayn Rand

I have been an Objectivist for about thirty years.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 1:07 am

I believe that it's kind of gross to make it your life's goal to achieve personal happiness. You need to find something important enough that it's worth pursuing even if it makes you unhappy. If it makes you happy, well hey, that's a bonus.

I believe that the most strange fact of life is that we have conscious experience. I believe that people should think about this more, and notice how strange it is. I don't believe that it can ever be explained, but just thinking about it is a good way to put things in perspective.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 1:43 am

I tend to have more of a daoist aproach to life. My world view is generaly anarchist with parallels to cultural marxism (the real definition) and compatibilism. I believe death is nothing but void untill you become the life forms that recycled you.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:25 am

Quote:
Not if the One who started it is your only hope for peace and joy in eternity.

The Church doesn't know these things. They are just regurgitating something somebody told them.

Considerable life extension, and age reversal technologies are something that we are right on the cusp of. You should look into that. It has the virtue over religion of actually being somewhat plausible.

Last edited by Stannis on 07 Feb 2014, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 3:35 am

Quote:
luanqibazao"]"Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values."

- Ayn Rand

What Ayn Rand appears to really be saying here that her subjective moral opinion is an irrefutable law, and that conforming to, "your values," when they are synonymous with her opinion, is, "proof of moral integrity".

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2014, 9:31 am

My beliefs:

Life's a b__h, then you die.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)