Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bamellis
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2007, 12:26 pm

My 12 year old son is the same way. He won't wear underwear because they aren't comfortable. I have often found him wrapped up in his favorite soft fuzzy blanket completely naked in the livingroom. I always make him put clothes on. Recently we discovered that he likes the was silky or satiny boxers feel so we got him a few pair of those. He at least keeps them on now.

Oldest son Tristan 3/30/94 ~Aspergers
2'nd son Jacob 4/27/95~Possibly in spectrum will know soon
Daughter Haylee 11/06/96~Just MOUTHY!!
Baby girl Isabella ~10/05/05

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 5:00 am

Aspies often have sensory issues with things such as scratchy seams and tags in clothes, tight elastic and synthetic fabrics that are hot and don't "breathe". We often prefer clothes that are pure cotton and a little bit loose and with the tags removed. Silky fabrics feel nice so they are also worth a try.
We also tend to feel the heat more than most so that is another aspect to consider.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 3:31 am

I did the same thing at around the same age for about 2-3 years. I think it started around the time I realised what girls are for. It ended when I realised I could get cuaght out by strangers (which did happen quite a few times) - I think it is mostly just apathy.... I remmember building lego naked... he probably get's up in the middle of the night to continue his projects, so now being naked is just being more effiecient.

anne
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2007, 12:21 pm

I agree with agent79! I used to only wear those mesh athletic shorts because the feeling of denim fabric irritated the hell out of me so much. I wore about 6 pairs consecutively for 3.5 years before finally putting on some khaki pants. I'd wear the athletic shorts even when it was raining outside. It drove my mother nuts, but then she realized that it wasn't the pants, it was the material the pants were made out of...I'd suggest asking your son to show you his favourite clothing items; things he enjoys wearing. Then, go out and buy about 3 x the amount of stuff so he'll be comfortable AND covered up. ;^)

~aspiegirl89~[/quote]

Oh the soft pants. How many mornings do I hear " I don't have any soft pants" and I reply " You can't go around what are really pajamas all of your life"?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 11:37 pm

I was an attendent at a nudist/ natureilist camp for a while and I would INSIST he take a towel around with him to sit upon. For sanitary purposes. If he refuses, show him the inside seam of his skivvies he just wore to school that day. That should convince him.

Practically speaking,
Merle

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2007, 4:31 am

Take him shopping, and by him some clothes that he likes, maybe he doesnt like the clothes he is wearing anymore, and he just wants something new to wear.

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2007, 12:45 am

Erlyrisa wrote:
I think it started around the time I realised what girls are for

that sounds a bit odd. it totally objectivise girls

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2007, 6:38 am

hypermind wrote:
Erlyrisa wrote:
I think it started around the time I realised what girls are for

that sounds a bit odd. it totally objectivise girls

No actually around that age, there are a whole lot of changes going on, and becoming a sexual being is one of them. It's biology :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2007, 7:09 am

I was reading your post when a thought hit me:

I was working on a case once where a boy who had always acted appropriately reached puberty. Everything was working correctly in the hormonal area, but the area in his brain that controls his impulse control had not matured. Once puberty hit the boy was suddenly acting inappropriately and was having difficulty controlling himself due to the lack of maturity of the impulse control region of his brain.

I'm certainly not saying this is your son's issue. However, I do know that impulse control issues run in some of our children. For example, my son is 11, but many times he acts like he is eight when it comes to impulse control.

It could be a puberty issue. It could be an impulse control issue. It could be a sensory issue. Those can all be worked on. However, it's important for him to know that there are boundaries, and running around the house nude is not allowed. Explain to him that everyone is entitled to their privacy, and that our nude body is a private thing. Give him his options of where he is allowed to be nude, but other than that he must wear clothing.

Good luck!

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2007, 7:58 am

I completely agree with JsMom. Our ten year old, by the way, started the nudity thing because he was simply too distracted by reading to be bothered to finish getting dressed.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:12 pm

I am quite suprised (well, I guess I shouldn't be really) about all the replies to this linking some sort of connection between sexuality and nudity. The thing is, these two should not really be connected, and the fact that they are is just a product of the over-sexualizaton of our society. From TV and movie sleeze and such ingraining us. I think that it is a good thing really that your son is in fact comfortable nude. For someone to be exteremely modest to me, is a sign of some mental imbalance. I have always seen being comfortable with one's appearance as a sign of being well adjusted and content. I simply don't think anyone should really be forced to endure wearing clothing if they don't want to, espeically if it makes them uncomfortable. Unfortunatley, the rest of society doesn't think this way!

What I would do however is explain to your son the appropriate times and places he can go without clothing. I believe being within his own home should be OK, but it should be done with the shades drawn and out of the view of the outside. Like "Sinsboldly" mentioned, make sure he sits on a towel whenever he is nude for hygenic purposes. Nudity is not really bad, but how it's carried out, and whom it is carried out in front of makes all the difference in the world!

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:55 pm

Space wrote:
threaten to take away his allowance if he doesn't start wearing clothes.

OMG my parents ganged up on the in the car one time and demanded I wear underwear (which was IMPOSSIBLE for me as a kid, I'd instead wear shorts under skirts). I completely came unglued, had a MAJOR meltdown and threatened to run away from home (I meant it to my bones, the sensory hell I faced otherwise was worse than anything!). They finally relented and left me alone.

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2008, 12:20 am

My son went through a phase like that although with probing we found it to be a sensory issue,we buy him very soft clothes with few seams as possible, My daughter on the other hand still explodes (flinging off shoes, socks, coat ,shirt ,pants all just inside the door) out of her clothes upon getting home from school and we did find her comfortable boys underwear that doesn't wiggle against her butt now she has at home old leggings and two shirts(she prefers close fitting clothes that don't rub when you move , he likes loose barely feel it clothing nothing binding,so it can be different issues) that she can't wear at school they are so worn she puts on. I understand how she feels some clothes drive me crazy too. We do allow both to be naked in their rooms alone if they must.

They both found amusing and followed the sign we had "Clothing not just a good idea it's the law" It was by the door and would remind them to dress, if they went outside.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2019, 6:46 pm

As an autistic, I feel very comfortable in the nude. I don't like it when the waist part of my pants presses against me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 9:05 pm

Turn on the air conditioner and make it colder so he has to wear clothes

:mrgreen:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 10:36 pm

The OP's son is all grown up now. No point in providing any more advice.