Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kidzenpunk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2014, 10:40 pm

Lately I've been noticing a stressful trend. It seems a lot of my needs are are in diametric opposition.
I think a more clinical term for this is 'cognitive dissonance'.

I require everything to be both constantly different/new, while also needing repetition; both spontaneity and schedule; trees and forest.
back and fourth, blah blah blah!
Does anyone else have experience with this?

It's very frustrating and crippling. I don't think I've really noticed this until lately.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 11:03 pm

I have an immense amount of cognitive dissonance but usually it's not caused by aspects of myself such as in your case, it tends to be confusion related to the precision of information. Information that is vague or seemingly contradicting/incomplete screws with my mind because I want and need everything to be exact. I don't like filling in the unknown with my own thoughts because my thoughts alone are much more prone to be inaccurate, even if only slightly.

That's why I have a hard time when I'm learning things via reading especially, as if something is true in one circumstance, but not in the other, I need to know exactly why. I can't make up a reason in my head because I might be wrong, but at the same time I need to. It's fairly hard to explain properly, but it's the way I feel, and it's very frustrating. It's one of the reasons I hate taking notes, as I could write something down that is incomplete or inaccurate, or accurate in some contexts but not others. It may link to something pages away, but then it causes disorganization and a lot more crap that annoys me. The same applies for verbal information.. I can't really get a good grasp on it like everyone else seems to because I may doubt what I've heard etc.

Despite what I wrote initially, I do need opposites such as schedule and spontaneity, but it doesn't cause me a great deal of stress as they occur in spread out events, or one more-so than the other.